Mistake,could have killed me last night

smallfry419

Registered
Great story. Glad you are ok. Although I must say it kind of bugs me that you felt the need to mention that he was black. I mean, does that really matter?

Let's not bring race into this subject. We all know if it was a white man and

Gene mentioned white man, not one person would ask him why he mentioned

he was white. Who cares if he was white, black or Mexican. I like stories and

that put a picture in my head while I was reading the story.

Thanks Gene for sharing the story

-sean-

Registered
I bought a non running 62 Impala that was advertised in the paper back in 1995 for $1200 cash. I hung out with the owner for about two hours checking out the Impala, joking around, and waiting for the tow truck. The guy kept saying "I like you man", which was a good thing because i saw the man hunt for him that weekend on the news. He tried robbing a woman at a drive thru, shooting her in the face with a 45 when she wouldn't roll down her window.
I found a fugitive watch pod cast from 2011 and they are still looking for the guy. Check out the video at the six minute mark...
http://www.fugitive.com/2011/01/20/...t-includes-crime-videos-and-wanted-fugitives/

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Geno,

Not for nothin, like I said earlier, I'm glad your ok.

Couple questions I have since you first posted.

Did you know "Kevin" before you shot with him that night?

Just wondering if anyone marked you while you were there...especially if you were paying off during your play....before you got even...

I'm curious by nature, and wondering if this was by chance or set up. We / you will probably never know.

Again, glad your ok broseph.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's why the color factor was a concern

Great story. Glad you are ok. Although I must say it kind of bugs me that you felt the need to mention that he was black. I mean, does that really matter?

Back then, yes it did matter, it was reality, why hide or embellish it, it was reality smak dab in your face after the Eisenhower yrs.

Well forty plus yrs ago 1968 approx maybe 69, I obviously got off on the wrong foot by trying to hustle pool at night in E. St. Louis in the late sixties as a young man. Since ange was 'from' the s. side of chicago, he had a good understanding of street life and this room and outside were well lit. I grew up in the middle class western suburbs of Chicago, and we had only two colored families in our whole town of 15,000 and they were great. In the trenches of society back then during Martin Luther King days there were NO gang bangers or drivebys or nighly drug turf battles like Now. I don't think we would of been shot, but def robbed in E. St. L.

Times were waaaaaaaaaay different back then during the Vietnam yrs and Kent State shootings. My next venture like I said was in Los Angeles when I moved there 76-81. By 79 I was running out of ''player'' action and heard about this kinda 'safe' room in the La area but I would Not go there at night. I'm sure Jay H. would remember the room name. Back then, blacks and whites didn't mix allot because of the prejudices many parents passed on to their children.
In La, this period was around the Watts riots time frame. My future wife had finally gotten her OT degree and was working at the Martin Luther King hospital ''in the watts district.'' This was the time period when if you were at a traffic light stopped, someone would pop out of no where, walk up to your window and rob ya at gun point in the middle of the day because you were unable to move your car. Those times were different, very real.

No this post has NOTHING to do about the race card, or if I like or don't like black people, or ya de ya dee. It was the way it was. I would of felt safer walking in e. st louis back then at night than I do now in SE Colorado Springs. Hows that for a change. When I moved to the springs in 71 there was NO such animal as a gang.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back then, yes it did matter, it was reality, why hide or embellish it, it was reality smak dab in your face after the Eisenhower yrs.

Well forty plus yrs ago 1968 approx maybe 69, I obviously got off on the wrong foot by trying to hustle pool in E. St. Louis room in the late sixties as a young man. Since ange was 'from' the s. side of chicago, he had a good understanding of street life. I grew up in the middle class western suburbs of Chicago, and we had only two colored families in our whole town of 15,000 and they were great. In the trenches of society back then during Martin Luther King days there were NO gang bangers or drivebys or nighly drug turf battles like Now. I don't think we would of been shot, but def robbed in E. St. L.

Times were waaaaaaaaaay different back then during the Vietnam yrs and Kent State shootings. My next venture like I said was in Los Angeles when I moved there 76-81. By 79 I was running out of ''player'' action and heard about this kinda 'safe' room in the La area but I would Not go there at night. I'm sure Jay H. would remember the room name. Back then, blacks and whites didn't mix allot because of the prejudices many parents passed on to their children.
In La, this period was around the Watts riots time frame. My future wife had finally gotten her OT degree and was working at the Marting Luther King hospital ''in the watts district.'' This was the time period when if you were at a traffic light stopped, someone would pop out of no where, walk up to your window and rob ya at gun point in the middle of the day because you were unable to move your car. Those times were different, very real.

No this post has NOTHING to do about the race card, or if I like or don't like black people, or ya de ya dee. It was the way it was. I would of felt safer walking in e. st louis back then at night than I do now in SE Colorado Springs. Hows that for a change. When I moved to the springs in 71 there was NO such animal as a gang.

In 1968 during the Martin Luther Knig riots in D.C., it was an extremely difficult time in our society. I have some memories from this time that are not happy ones.

Interestingly, when I am in the pool room, I don't pick up on race or class clashes. It's like we are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool. :)

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
.......things are much different than when we were younger.....

When I was younger and two guys had a disagreement the worst thing that would happen is maybe a "black eye", but now you probably end up stabbed or shot! The world is a different place and we all have to be extra careful.

James

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry if I'm going off track but I'm White...the 2 guys that held me up were White. I equally hate every PieceOfShitScumBag on the planet. I equally will take ANY decent person for a friend or neighbor.

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
USQgKAIFhhsuccessfulblackguymemebannedhollywood08620x620.jpg

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Kevin tells him no....

Thinking that this is a friend of Kevins I offer to give him a ride.....

Being kind of street smart I ask the guy a few questions after he got in the car.....*

After he got out I thought to myself how stupid I was to assume that he was a regular there......

Street smart?

That was alot of things but street smart sure as hell was not one of them

Im literally shocked coming from someone like you. :O

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Let's not bring race into this subject. We all know if it was a white man and

Gene mentioned white man, not one person would ask him why he mentioned

he was white. Who cares if he was white, black or Mexican. I like stories and

that put a picture in my head while I was reading the story.

Thanks Gene for sharing the story

Um, I did not bring race into it. Storyteller did. Why didn't he mention Kevin's race?

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
I was at a poolhall called Spectators in southern Louisville. I was playing a guy named Kevin. He plays pretty sporty. He got me stuck a few games and when I came back and got even he quit.

There was this young black guy that came into the poolhall and he told Kevin that his car broke down by the Pizza Hut and asked him if he could give him a ride. I'm assuming that Kevin knows this guy.

Kevin tells him no. He had gotten a ride there by someone else.

Thinking that this is a friend of Kevins I offer to give him a ride. He said his car is stalled right down by the Pizza Hut. It's about 3/4 of a mile down the rode.

Being kind of street smart I ask the guy a few questions after he got in the car. I asked him if he plays pool and he said No. This guy also goes about 240-250 and I go about 195. He's about 26-28 years old so I really don't like my odds in a fight. I'm 59. Pretty good shape but 59.

I already got a red flag up because he's not even a regular customer there.
I'm sure nobody there knew him.

As we're driving down to the Pizza Hut I'm trying to sum up the situation as far as what I'll do if this happens or that happens.

Right now we're on a pretty busy street. It's 2:00 AM. Hardly no cars at all. As we get down to the Pizza hut he says you need to take a left ,Old Time. Yes he called me Old Time.

On the way down to Pizza Hut he said he might just be out of gas. I told him let's just get some gas and bring it down. He declined.

I don't see a car and I ask him very boldly, Where is your car. He says down by the light.

So I drive down to the next street light and he repeats down by the light.

I go to the next street light and he points to the traffic light about 2 more blocks down. The traffic light he said.

It's like he is making this up as we go.

This whole situation just stinks.

Now we're at the light and he says to turn to the left and then he asks me if I could spare some money so he can get some gas.

Another lie.

I looked down the road and it led to a very residential area. If something happened down there no one would even know it.

There was a car on the right side of the road. I told him, this must be your car. He reluctantly said yes. Another lie.

I pulled over and pulled out 3 bucks I had in my left pocket and told him this is as far as I go.

There was a little pause. He was thinking about his next move.

In the drivers seat your kind of vulnerable because the passenger can just come accross with a great big right hand. I have my hand on the door handle. If I see that right hand come accross i'm out the door. I like my chances out there better.

Finally he opens the door and doesn't say a word and got out.

I think he knew it would be a battle. This old Time would have put up a pretty good fight. Not fun though for sure and probably would have been a losing situation if he had a knife or a gun.

But I assume if he had either of them he would have done more than get right out.

After he got out I thought to myself how stupid I was to assume that he was a regular there and that he knew Kevin.

As we were driving down the road thoughts about another AZer named Mike Surber popped into my head. He got murdered awhile back and they still havn't caught the killer. I thought to myself, this is how that could have all started also with just a ride.

I need to be more careful from now on and so do all the other AZers out there that read this.

I really feel lucky because i know for a fact that this guy was up to no good.

I think the only thing that saved me from trouble was it might have just seemed like a little more trouble than he wanted to deal with.

Today I am a lucky man for sure.

One man a van and the road...........
Damn thats crazy glad everything turned out ok... becarefull next time

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Dear god man! Good to hear you are ok.

I've been stranded and I helped some teen age girls that were stranded on I-75 during a torrential storm. The girls' car had broken down, they were standing in the rain, soaking wet, next to the car, trying to flag down a person who had a cell phone back in 1999. I had one and while talking to my hubs I said, I'm going to help these girls on the highway. It turned out they were coming back from high school when the car broke down. I didn't need to give them a ride or anything, I was not concerned over my safety. They were begging and pleading for help and saw me on the phone. It just seemed like I'd rather me pull over than some creep.

The girls called their parents, they sounded so scared and lost because they didn't know what to do or how to get home.

Back then I also used to carry a knife, for protection. I used to have old beaters for cars and we always carried jump cables and although I used them a few times to help me out, most of the time I gave other people a boost. I don't pull over for strangers or give jumps anymore. I've done my part when I was younger, now with 3 kids in tow, to hell with them. My little chicks are more important.

My hope would be that those girls were able to help someone later on.

Regardless good to know you are ok.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
so that we could picture it better. whats wrong with that?

Sure sure. Wouldn't wanna leave out the detail that he's a big black man. Makes the story better right? Makes it SCARIER. Ooooo, a big black man! Holy cow, he could have KILLED HIM WITH HIS GLOCK!

Sure, let's exploit his race and feed further into stereotypes. He mentioned the color of his skin, why not the color of his clothes? Or the color of his car when he got to it? Cause those things aren't scary.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Street smart?

That was alot of things but street smart sure as hell was not one of them

Im literally shocked coming from someone like you. :O

All that cig smoke has seriously affected Gene's ability to smell a rat. :D

Glad everything worked out this time. This particular brand of criminal is worse than most; the kind that only preys on people who were willing to help him out.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like you, I am usually the nice guy. Lately though I've become a little more, jaded? I guess I've heard too many stories and see too much of this going on and I'm simply tired of it. I don't mind someone just flat out asking if they can have $5 bucks or $3, or 2$...whatever. I may or may not give it to them. I will if I can. He wasted your time and put you in a very awkward situation at best. Maybe he meant no harm but he was willing to deceive you and still expect you to give him money. It is exactly this type of person and scenarios like this that makes it harder for folks to be kind, giving, and trusting of others... it makes me angry because I do want to be kind and helpful when I can .I understand your fear though...I would have been very uneasy myself. I'm glad things turned out the way they did. You just never know what someone is going to do. There was a guy at the pool hall last Sunday walking through the parking lot as I was driving out. He was waving at me to stop...guess what, I didn't.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure sure. Wouldn't wanna leave out the detail that he's a big black man. Makes the story better right? Makes it SCARIER. Ooooo, a big black man! Holy cow, he could have KILLED HIM WITH HIS GLOCK!

Sure, let's exploit his race and feed further into stereotypes. He mentioned the color of his skin, why not the color of his clothes? Or the color of his car when he got to it? Cause those things aren't scary.

So i take it a black man means scary to YOU. Fine -Not to me though.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
hey geno...

Don't feel bad. I did something stupid that could get me killed too... just read my thread in NPR to figure out what...

Jaden

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
There was a guy at the pool hall last Sunday walking through the parking lot as I was driving out. He was waving at me to stop...guess what, I didn't.

Gotta be careful with that.

I was driving in rural Quebec once at 5:00am and had a guy run down the side of the swale yelling and waving at me. Like you, I didn't stop. Looked like a nutter to me :)

There was a huge stone cliff on the right-hand side of the road and just as I got to the end of it... there was yet another crazy looking guy waving and yelling at me. This one had a sign saying "STOP".

Suddenly there was a huge boom... and a massive piece of the cliff came down into the road where I'd been driving. They were blasting the rock to prevent any further rock slides. It seems they weren't expecting anybody on that road at 5:00 in the morning and they were quite glad I made it through.

So was I.