Most of your misses due to poor aim or poor stroke?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually hear people (e.g., Jerry Briesath) say that the main cause of a miss is a poor stroke or poor cueing, even though the shooter may think that they aimed poorly. I believed this when I first heard it, but I've started to wonder.

My percentage for straight-in shots, even long ones, is much higher than my percentage for cut shots of the same length. That's aim, not stroke.

I'm curious about other pool players: Do you think you miss more because of poor aim, or poor stroke?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can add a lack of knowledge of "where" to aim as a reason. I'm just discovering that in my own game. Throw, squirt, and swerve I think I'm finally getting a handle on for many shots that always gave me trouble.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i miss a medium distance straight in shot, I conclude it has to be a stroking error (eg not hitting straight).

But other times it seems an aiming error. For example i have a hard time judging the aim when the cb and ob are only a few inches apart.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I usually hear people (e.g., Jerry Briesath) say that the main cause of a miss is a poor stroke or poor cueing, even though the shooter may think that they aimed poorly. I believed this when I first heard it, but I've started to wonder.

My percentage for straight-in shots, even long ones, is much higher than my percentage for cut shots of the same length. That's aim, not stroke.

I'm curious about other pool players: Do you think you miss more because of poor aim, or poor stroke?
Easy answer

All misses are do to stance and set up! Aka pre-shot routine!

All the other stuff is mental and a Jedi mind trick!

Kd

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroke for me.
I have been working hard on my shot making the last year and I think I am pocketing balls as well as I ever have in my life.
When I do miss now , I usually have not followed through completely, or I have put a yip stroke on the ball, or tried a shot that was at the limits of my miscue area.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always looked at it in question form: who would be more successful, player A with perfect aim but a flawed stroke, or player B with perfect stroke and flawed aim.

The pockets are wide enough to accept two balls so if your aim is precise and your stroke is a little jumpy, you should still make the ball.

For myself, it's almost always aim. I've been told my stroke and pre shot routine is solid by an instructor, so when I miss, I have to chalk it up to flawed aim.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member

I'd say if I just need to make a cut shot and I miss it, its probably an aiming problem, or I didn't account for throw.

If theres English involved and I miss, likelihood of stroke error goes up.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Aiming" is mostly visual, but still demands touch/feel (subconscious adjustments)

It's like asking if basketball players miss because of poor aiming or faulty stroke....the real key is body/eye synchronisation or the subconscious can't perform properly.

"Aiming" is mostly visual, however, it also demands touch/feel (subconscious adjustments) because of the different speeds and spins involved.

This is why I like the TOI Technique, you shoot every shot as if it's straight in (aligned to either the center or edge of the object ball) - it comes down to creating your best perception to make the shot.....which is most likely straight.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's like asking if basketball players miss because of poor aiming or faulty stroke....the real key is body/eye synchronisation or the subconscious can't perform properly.

"Aiming" is mostly visual, however, it also demands touch/feel (subconscious adjustments) because of the different speeds and spins involved.

This is why I like the TOI Technique, you shoot every shot as if it's straight in (aligned to either the center or edge of the object ball) - it comes down to creating your best perception to make the shot.....which is most likely straight.

Hi CJ,

Can't one's 'alignment' & 'aim' be at odds?

By that I mean can't one be 'aiming' at the proper point to pocket the ball but their body alignment be off one way or the other & won't that discourage the stroke being on the 'aim' line & in fact encourage it to go off one way or the other?

I remember you mentioning about the left foot being an aid in adding or reducing cut on the ball.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I think people get too caught up on aiming as something that needs to be worked on. Like Scott Lee said, aiming is the same as alignment, which requires "aiming" with the entire body, not just the eyes. If my aim seems off, I don't try to "aim" better, I'll go back and fix my stance and pre-shot routine to get my body and eyes in the correct position and everything else will take care of itself.

I also think that many of shots that seem to be caused by a poor stroke (i.e. steering) can be attributed to poor initial alignment, which the subconscious tries to compensate for by hitting off-center.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I agree with Mr. Briesath.
Faulty stroke.

I see it every day in Pool School.

randyg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
while aiming and alignment aren't the same they are in the same family.

Sure, while aiming and alignment aren't the same they are in the same family. Alignment effects your relationship to the cue ball, that's why it's important to stand the same distance, measuring from your right hip (when right handed).

I do use the left foot's position as an alignment guide, especially on long shots when playing the shot to a certain side of the pocket. When I shift the left foot it influences my upper body, however, the changes are connected, therefore more precise.

Hi CJ,

Can't one's 'alignment' & 'aim' be at odds?

By that I mean can't one be 'aiming' at the proper point to pocket the ball but their body alignment be off one way or the other & won't that discourage the stroke being on the 'aim' line & in fact encourage it to go off one way or the other?

I remember you mentioning about the left foot being an aid in adding or reducing cut on the ball.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they'll miss both with a nonrepeatable stroke...so stroke over aiming. Aiming is perceptual and subject to individual interpretation. With the right training, the stroke becomes repeatable and accurate. Far more players who think they are aiming incorrectly, have a poor stroke.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'm curious what you think Scott. Obviously you're a big believer in the importance of stroke, but don't you think most people will make a long straight-in shot more often than a long cut shot?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Sure, while aiming and alignment aren't the same they are in the same family. Alignment effects your relationship to the cue ball, that's why it's important to stand the same distance, measuring from your right hip (when right handed).

I do use the left foot's position as an alignment guide, especially on long shots when playing the shot to a certain side of the pocket. When I shift the left foot it influences my upper body, however, the changes are connected, therefore more precise.

Thanks CJ,

I think what you speak of about the left foot may be a fix for my ageing body.

I think before my ruptured disc in my back I could make those minute alignment tweaks without moving the feet but now with the back they don't seem to be as fine tuned.

I've started tinkering with the left foot but I find that I generally wind up opening to the left as in makes me more comfortable but like you have said, if it's comfortable it's probably not correct or something like that.

I'm going to give the left foot some focused testing.

Thanks again. I can better relate to the aim & alignment being 2 parts of the same family than I can thinking of the two(2) of them as being the same thing.

Best,
Rick

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a question?

Easy answer

All misses are do to stance and set up! Aka pre-shot routine!

All the other stuff is mental and a Jedi mind trick!

Kd

So what category does hitting the cue ball where your to hit it come under? Is that part of aim?

What about hit the object ball where your trying to hit?

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Mechanics are citical to shot execution.

I would say that most shots are missed due to some mechanical flaw. There are several moving parts, but the most likely culprit is the stroke.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Here's how I see it ... if you took away the cue ball and just shot balls in directly with your cue stick how many would you miss? Not too many, so... we know where to aim. Its delivering that pesky cue ball to that spot that makes it so tough. My vote therefore, is defect in stroke.