Most Under Valued Cue Builder

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would add Dave Kikel to the list. I have a stunning cue he made, two locals are considering it at well over 5 grand. After I refinished it I decided to play with some older cues I have. My game went into the toilet for two weeks. Finally I pulled out my Kikel and the balance and play was ten fold better than my old cues. So I took it off the market after realizing I already had my holy grail of cues.. I have owned lots of other cues but this one is special..

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Runde is the most under rated cue builder in my opinion In history. I’ve read every bit of info on this site about Gus, Runde, and Schon and Gus recommended selling Schon’s to his dealers, supposedly saying he had no idea how they could build a cue for the price at the time. I wasn’t there but I believe it.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dz builds a lot of cue for the money. Another poster mentioned DBK, he built excellent playing cues for not a lot of money. Sad we lost him. Some of the other guys mentioned get their due and make incredible cues as well. Blackcreek, Jerry R, Gilbert, Kikel. They all build great cues (some monsters even) and are priced accordingly. The term undervalued can be subjective on this topic. I consider it to mean a lot of cue for not so much money. You can find a Blue Grass Merry Widow for under 2k and will never go wrong. There is so much talent out there to appreciate

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Dz builds a lot of cue for the money. Another poster mentioned DBK, he built excellent playing cues for not a lot of money. Sad we lost him. Some of the other guys mentioned get their due and make incredible cues as well. Blackcreek, Jerry R, Gilbert, Kikel. They all build great cues (some monsters even) and are priced accordingly. The term undervalued can be subjective on this topic. I consider it to mean a lot of cue for not so much money. You can find a Blue Grass Merry Widow for under 2k and will never go wrong. There is so much talent out there to appreciate

Merry Widow for ~2k equates to underrated or undervalued?

No disrespect intended, Bluegrass cues are delightful, but your post seems way off topic

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jim McDermott is man behind company bearing name McDermott.

Local Arizona guy who using to win Mike Howerton Desert Classic Event, over all year after year played with two McDermotts Plan Jane Widows. Playing Cue, and Break Cue.

There were bottom line, ring less Widows Cues. He Tip of choice at time LePro.

Must’ve something to the McDermott brand by Jim McDermott.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merry Widow for ~2k equates to underrated or undervalued?

No disrespect intended, Bluegrass cues are delightful, but your post seems way off topic
I did say UNDER 2 k. As I said in my post a lot of cue makers mentioned in this thread get their due and have built monster cues. my point was you can get a great player for not a lot of money such as a BG MW or a sneaky even. U must have skipped past the rest of my post as well. Original poster asked who builds the best cue for the money. Cheers!

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It’s been a while, anybody underrated or undervalued at the moment?
I have a Mariposa Cue that plays wonderfully - big wooden pin (but might present a challenge if you use an after market shaft). I have way, way too many cues right now and might list this one and will probably do so at or under 1.5K.

North Demon Cues, while certainly known by now, still seems to fly under the radar a bit IMO. He can make anything you ask him, his shop is outrageous, incredible turn around time, and he has exacting attention to detail. He's by no means cheap, but I think he could get away with raising his prices too.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I would love to get a opportunity to try a Dieckman wood pin pool cue. Only other cue on the wish list to try is a true DPK. I think my Runde w/ a Searing shaft is about as good as it gets for a player. IMHO.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to get an opportunity to try a Dieckman wood pin pool cue. Only other cue on the wish list to try is a true DPK. I think my Runde w/ a Searing shaft is about as good as it gets for a player. IMHO.
Searing has the best shaft wood I’ve ever seen. I use a Searing shaft on my Boar. 😍

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I swear to Searing has the best shaft wood I’ve ever seen. I use a Searing shaft on my Boar. 😍
Searing has the best shaft wood I’ve ever seen. I use a Searing shaft on my Boar. 😍
I bought a used Searing shaft after reading for ages how his cues were unequalled, I believed it was originally built to fit a Tasc. . Omg the shaft I got is incredible, joint is a bit oversized to my Runde butt, still curious if this has some kind of effect. I was so impressed I contacted Searing, no idea why he answered, but I will say I did polish his ego. I thought he would make another even better shaft and made a offer he couldn’t refuse. I had him make another shaft and sent my cue to him to match it 100 percent, played Fine but not like the one I got used. I traded the shat to DeanOC for a Vigus 60 inch Dufferin ebony conversion. I’d still take a chance on another used Searing Shaft.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did anyone mention Chuck Starkey cues? The closest thing to the hit of a one piece cue made! By the way, the best hitting cues will always be one piece! If you ever can get your hands on a one piece Dufferin, buy it!

Benelli

Did anyone mention Chuck Starkey cues? The closest thing to the hit of a one piece cue made! By the way, the best hitting cues will always be one piece! If you ever can get your hands on a one piece Dufferin, buy it!
Dufferin cues only hit like that because the wood was quenched in Beaver's blood when it came off the lathe.

Honestly, any maker could do it if they were willing to go the extra mile...

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave Jacoby his custom cues are up there with any of the top cue-makers.
For as much as Predator, Cuetec and Mezz get tons of attention in the industry, its always been surprising to me that Jacoby doesn't get more. I have one of their cues and its one of my favorites to play with and, I thought so highly of their Edge Hybrid shaft that when I ordered a cue from Paul Drexler, I bought a partial from Jacoby and had them ship it to Paul to complete with the ringwork. The only thing I can think of is they don't sponsor many top professionals and therefore don't have that exposure in events. That said, their business model clearly works for them.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So...8 1/2 years later and we've got about a hundred candidates for the most under-valued cue builder.

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen.
I wonder how many names have appreciated in value.
How many you can't give away now?