One Pocket - Wow

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't play one pocket, but this Filler/Chohan match got my blood boiling with interest, so I went to the one pocket forum and took a look over there.

The level of savvy, knowledge and respect these people show for each other and the game is off the charts. High level stuff!

Check out this Filler/Chohan thread - starting once the match is underway:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/filler-chohan-may-12-13th.430017/page-4

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play one pocket, but this Filler/Chohan match got my blood boiling with interest, so I went to the one pocket forum and took a look over there.

The level of savvy, knowledge and respect these people show for each other and the game is off the charts. High level stuff!

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/filler-chohan-may-12-13th.430017/page-4

Yeah , they play pretty good , I don't think I can spot either of them any more.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That board used to be even worse than AZB's worst. Has it improved?

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That board used to be even worse than AZB worst. Has it improved?

Joe,

Really? Wow, they cleaned it up. If you get a chance, read through that thread. Billy Incardone had some good observations.

Chris

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I make the occasional trip over to the onepocket.org site. It is remarkable, just like the game of one pocket.

I've probably played only 100 racks of one pocket in my entire life, and up to 2009, other than when I watched action matches, I had seen very little one pocket played. I had attended just three or four pro one pocket tournaments to that point.

Derby City, which consists of four days of one pocket every year, changed all that. Eleven Derby City later, I've now sweated 44 full days of one pocket and have learned so much and have really come to appreciate how difficult and fascinating game it really is. To be honest, I enjoy the one pocket more than any other event at Derby City.

One pocket is a wonderful game, and those who play it seriously tend to be fascinating people who cherish its history and lore, which is why onepocket.org is such a cool place.

zcrash

Diligent Home Player
I love One Pocket, it's like Chess, on Pool Table.

The classic quote is "One Pocket: a combination of chess and World War II played on a pool table" [Jersey Red???]. It used to be on the back of the onepocket.org tee shirt back in the day. I bought one for my stepkid (he loved the game at age 13)...that was close to 20 years ago, I wonder if he still has it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today's one-pocket, with good players, is way different than one-pocket was when I grew up in the pool hall.

Back then, you only saw the older players playing it and they usually took FOREVER to play a game. They played way more defensive than today and very rarely would go for a ball unless it was a dead cinch.

They would play "cat and mouse" for hours, sometimes.

I used to hate playing with them, but I'd do it because sometimes that was the only game they would play me at. All of them had way more knowledge and experience at the game than I did, but I had more firepower and wasn't afraid to go for stuff that they wouldn't go for. I wasn't a complete dummy when it came to moving though, I had watched them play hundreds of times before I ever started playing it.

I like watching it way more today then I did years ago.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The classic quote is "One Pocket: a combination of chess and World War II played on a pool table" [Jersey Red???]. It used to be on the back of the onepocket.org tee shirt back in the day. I bought one for my stepkid (he loved the game at age 13)...that was close to 20 years ago, I wonder if he still has it.

That is cool.:thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This match could be a possible springboard for greater interest in one pocket. Played at this pace and on this kind of equipment, one pocket may draw some new fans.

… and, of course, we haven't had a player to watch like Josh Filler in many, many years, and the fact that he has come to enjoy the game of one pocket can only help it.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want to get into 1 hole, I recommend Tommy Worth's book: One pocket; a game of controlled aggression. He has a website of the same name.
Good luck

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Taught Jeremy Jones

Hardmix

Registered
If you are interested in learning the game of 1P you will find onepocket.org a treasure trove of knowledge.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve also seen Strawberry’s quote on their memorabilia which I thought was quite good: “One pocket is an epidemic and there ain’t no cure”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its TOM WIRTH not worth
here is a link to order the book and other onepocket dvd's from tom
all are highly recommended
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=511017

The book won’t teach you how to play shots. It’s more of a “what to” not “how to” book. If you have any questions on execution of a particular shot, you can get in touch with Tom - he’s a treasure trove of knowledge all things one pocket and more and always eager to help - or ask a question on the onepocket.org forum. Tom also posts often on there.

You may also want to check out Tom’s YouTube channel (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1FDmPyLMclcMphTP2VnYyA). It has many helpful bits of advice and it’s totally free.

What Would You Do (WWYD) threads on onepocket.org were of great help to my game. Feel free to come along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk