Question for JAM and Others

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kid's father took this photo of Seattle Sam, me, and John Henry. In fact, I think this photo was taken the same day as when Freddy Boggs made that five-rail shot in the Laurel tournament against my friend.

Attachments

• seattlesamjamjohnhenry[1].JPG
    seattlesamjamjohnhenry[1].JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 442

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, this thread really took off!

I don't have much to add to the md tales, being a rare interloper...

I will say that the buck I was talking about was always polite and I never heard him verbally aggressive for a moment. That said, he sure tried to get me to step out of line a few times. He and I never played, he wanted the 7 playing 9b and said if I played like that we could put up for 2 sets and he'd give me a ball playing el one pocketo.

Didn't doing like a sound pursuit to me!:eek:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I will say that the buck I was talking about was always polite and I never heard him verbally aggressive for a moment. That said, he sure tried to get me to step out of line a few times. He and I never played, he wanted the 7 playing 9b and said if I played like that we could put up for 2 sets and he'd give me a ball playing el one pocketo.

You would have enjoyed playing Buck. He usually did ask for weight, as he was a full-time working man back in the day. Buck always bet big, not chump change, which made it hard for the full-time pool player to muster up enough cheese to step up to Buck's plate. Win or lose, he always had the same demeanor.

He asked for a big spot from Geese in one-pocket, but Geese was a one-pocket mechanic.

Geese wasn't exactly an easy person to gamble with. If you were losing to Geese, he was the nicest guy in the world, laughing and joking around, but if you are winning against Geese, run for the hills.

I will never, ever forget the time Geese and I were getting steered by someone in Pennsylvania. We ended up driving to this bar in Pittsburgh called "Good 'n Plenty." It's funny the things one remembers, but we stopped off at this little diner, and on the menu, they had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for 15 cents. What a deal! :grin-square:

The steer was backing Geese in the game at Good 'n Plenty. We found some cheap action for $20 a game, 9-ball, and it was Geese versus some local yocal. Well, as most know, anybody can get lucky in 9-ball these days. It certainly isn't a game of skill as much as one-pocket is.

Well, Geese was losing, and the demons in his head started to speak to him. I could see the steam coming out of his ears, and his eyes were enraged. He came over to the steer, his backer, and said, "I know you're pulling against me, you black cat." :eek:

The backer says to me, "What is going on? I'm backing Geese. Why did he call me a 'black cat'?" :eek:

Geese was one of the best players in Maryland to ever hold a cue. He was Italian with a hot temper, though, when he was stuck.

After Geese's father died, his mom and Geese moved to Florida. He hated it. He'd call me up from time to time just to talk, and I know he called a lot of others from Maryland. Pool was his entire life, and he missed his celebrity status that he did enjoy in Maryland. Geese was a pool champion in the eyes of many.

In Florida, though, he couldn't get action, thanks to the advent of the Internet. Some pool tournaments wouldn't let him in because they said he was too strong. It's a tough life for a diehard road warrior to live in a place where he can't get played. Geese would muster up a few bucks and go to the track during his last years. Florida didn't embrace Geese quite as much as Maryland did, and I think it took the wind out of Geese's sails.

RIP, Geese. You were one of the best and continue to live in our memories.

Attachments

• Michael Geese Gerace.jpg
    Michael Geese Gerace.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I know you were stronger pre-kids, but Buck probably had you coming and going with this offer.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute story about Punky Jones.

Geese (Mike Gerace) snuck in on Punky in Hagerstown a few times back in the early '80s. He was a well-known action player who would engage in games of stake. Punky also traveled down to Rockville, Baltimore, Laurel, and other Maryland hotspots for action. He could play on the big table and the bar box, and as most old-school players, Punky could play all games. He wasn't a one-trick pony like some of today's players.

I saw him about 10 years ago at a local regional tournament, and he's still got game, though it's not his main income anymore.

Keith McCready did a charity event in Pennsylvania at an Elks or Moose Club (can't remember) one time, and the place was really cool with lots of pool peeps. They had auctions for money that was donated to a medical charity for a heart revival machine for sports people.

Anyway, Keith and I were sitting at the bar, and this gentleman initiates a conversation with Keith, stating that he wouldn't mind playing him some with a spot. I looked at the guy long and hard and realized it was none other than Punky, who truly did not need as big a spot as he was asking for. Meanwhile, Punky knew *exactly* who Keith was, but what Punky didn't realize was that I knew who he was from him playing Geese. The game never happened, thanks to me. I told Keith it's always good to travel with a native when action presents itself. ;)

I always liked him. He was a gentleman gambler. :cool:

The problem with Keith is he cant sneak up on anybody....Just about everyone have heard about him or seen him....

So that time is gone too.

Ken

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks JAM! Feel free to drop storries on me anytime, love to hear those Baltimore/Laurel capers from the good ol' days. Speaking of Mr Lee, did you hear his brother Mr Lee ( Rosedale Lee ) opened up a place on Security Square? Haven't been there so dont really have any other info.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Thanks JAM! Feel free to drop storries on me anytime, love to hear those Baltimore/Laurel capers from the good ol' days.

Some more Baltimore stories! I was there when Chicago Bugs came through Baltimore. He matched up with Bobby Leggs short rack banks giving him a ball! Bobby Leggs was ranting how no N -word could give him that game to Baldwin. They just had to have a go of it.

Bobby started off kind of fast and won the first few. Bugs just grabbed a house cue off the wall and began to whoop a$$. Bobby began breaking them WIDE OPEN and running out but after awhile that was NO GOOD.

On Bugs break he would hit the corner ball and play the cue ball 3 rails onto the back cushion. It looked like a classic straight pool break. When it was over the whole place was in utter silence as they all thought Bobby Leggs was robbing.

Then a few months later Cliff Joyner came through and beat Larry Newdecker for a nice piece. They all thought my dad had sent Cliff Joyner up there but I believe it was Reggie Barksdale. Cliff and Reggie traveled the road for about a year after that and Reggie was pretty sour on the experience near the end.

Then I was there shortly before Linda got shot when Strawberry was playing Jack Kooney! Man that guy could play. They played for like two days and I was there the first day. I never saw a guy run more balls in one pocket from behind the kitchen. It was a real treat. He was robbing Strawberry. Only problem was NO ONE ever could out last Strawberry! He was the king of the MARATHON. He would play for days straight with no break. He had one rule and it was you can't quit! Someone was leaving broke! His backers pockets were so deep he never ran out of money and was known for going down 20 games and coming back a big winner!

In hours 20 and 30 he was just catching stride and man it was a sight to see. Jack Cooney would win for awhile and then the tables would turn and LINDA would kick in and lock her self in the car with the money or some other stunt to end the game winner.

Strawberries backers were not real happy with the young buck that robbed and shot Linda and Jack Cooney! Word got out and the guy who robbed them did not make it past the week! Lets just say justice was served in this instance.

Some Mafia folks behind Jack were not too happy. Things were going to be handled but it never got to that point.

Then there was the time Mark Tadd played Bus Driver for 35K one pocket and 10K 9 ball. It was the most I had seen bet back in the 80's took hours to count it all and the guys were guarding the pool room. Mark Tadd rolled in with the crips or some LA crew and his backers were in town doing business. Long story short Mark Tadd won! It was alot of pressure on BUS DRIVER having his whole pool room watching! A lot less than Mark Tadd and it really showed.

These were the best stories I remember back then.

KD

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some more Baltimore stories! I was there when Chicago Bugs came through Baltimore. He matched up with Bobby Leggs short rack banks giving him a ball! Bobby Leggs was ranting how no N -word could give him that game to Baldwin. They just had to have a go of it.

Bobby started off kind of fast and won the first few. Bugs just grabbed a house cue off the wall and began to whoop a$$. Bobby began breaking them WIDE OPEN and running out but after awhile that was NO GOOD.

On Bugs break he would hit the corner ball and play the cue ball 3 rails onto the back cushion. It looked like a classic straight pool break. When it was over the whole place was in utter silence as they all thought Bobby Leggs was robbing.

Then a few months later Cliff Joyner came through and beat Larry Newdecker for a nice piece. They all thought my dad had sent Cliff Joyner up there but I believe it was Reggie Barksdale. Cliff and Reggie traveled the road for about a year after that and Reggie was pretty sour on the experience near the end.

Then I was there shortly before Linda got shot when Strawberry was playing Jack Kooney! Man that guy could play. They played for like two days and I was there the first day. I never saw a guy run more balls in one pocket from behind the kitchen. It was a real treat. He was robbing Strawberry. Only problem was NO ONE ever could out last Strawberry! He was the king of the MARATHON. He would play for days straight with no break. He had one rule and it was you can't quit! Someone was leaving broke! His backers pockets were so deep he never ran out of money and was known for going down 20 games and coming back a big winner!

In hours 20 and 30 he was just catching stride and man it was a sight to see. Jack Cooney would win for awhile and then the tables would turn and LINDA would kick in and lock her self in the car with the money or some other stunt to end the game winner.

Strawberries backers were not real happy with the young buck that robbed and shot Linda and Jack Cooney! Word got out and the guy who robbed them did not make it past the week! Lets just say justice was served in this instance.

Some Mafia folks behind Jack were not too happy. Things were going to be handled but it never got to that point.

Then there was the time Mark Tadd played Bus Driver for 35K one pocket and 10K 9 ball. It was the most I had seen bet back in the 80's took hours to count it all and the guys were guarding the pool room. Mark Tadd rolled in with the crips or some LA crew and his backers were in town doing business. Long story short Mark Tadd won! It was alot of pressure on BUS DRIVER having his whole pool room watching! A lot less than Mark Tadd and it really showed.

KD

Enjoyed the read, Kid. I did not know a few of the facts you shared about Golden Cue. Wow!

And Mark Tadd with the L.A. Crew, man, that should have been a sight to see. Of course, we had our own motley crew here in D.C. proper. ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks JAM! Feel free to drop storries on me anytime, love to hear those Baltimore/Laurel capers from the good ol' days. Speaking of Mr Lee, did you hear his brother Mr Lee ( Rosedale Lee ) opened up a place on Security Square? Haven't been there so dont really have any other info.

Is that the place in the mall? If so, I went there and maybe I caught her on a bad day, but it was a bit of a dump.

I went to play 3c and had to leave after about 15 min.

Too bad, USA billiards was a 'jam' up spot.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Thanks All

Great stuff. I spent the whole afternoon at Champions with Buck today. He is going to read the thread when he gets home tonight. Should bring back some great memories for him. By the way...Buck still plays good One Pocket!
Stop by Champions in Frederick and say hello if you are in town!

Thanks again for the stories

Wedge

Reactions: JAM

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam--When I knew Geese--it was back in the late 70's and he and another Gent (Tall Guy always wearing a long black trench coat) can't remember the name--They Had Bill Lawson traveling with them. Bill was in his day one of the best to ever hold a cue. Had a problem with drink though--Geese and his freind turned Bill on to a few joints--and then Bill no longer had the drinking problem--just a smile on his face and eating all the time..
Jam your spot on about Geese going on the warpath when ya had him stuck--I thought he was gonna bean me for chalking my cue once while I was sitting in the chair during a match we had--He beat me the first set--I beat him the second and the third went just about hil to hill racing to 11 which Geese came with one hell of a shot for the set--Thorton Montgomery was backing me playing for 3 bills a set.
The real war was on later in the week when Geese and Pete Horn matched up--they could have made a movie on those matches and called it the Longest Day Part 2
Tim Daniels and I would run into Geese in spots through out the south while moving around--and all was well,,always with a smile,, and all of us giving spots to each other to go after--Lost track of everyone when I pulled out of the game in 82--was hard gambling during the Carter Depression
:thumbup:

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

Awesom story KID, Please keep them coming.

Btw Bugs wouldnt play Vanover any 9 ball, when Bugs and his crew came rolling through the doors of Dundalk.

Bugs offered to play Banks and of course 1 pocket, But Tom knew better then that!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T.Vanover and Jimmy Fusco had a few battles of their own.

Vanover beat him in Dundalk and at Bill and Billies playing even 9 ball.

Tom had his nuts handed to him when he tried to play Fusco back pocket 9 ball.

Cigar also Beat Petey every time they played 9 ball even.

Iam pretty sure Pete And Tom broke even playing back pocket!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that Richard (the kid) Riggi and Charlie Jarbo were the best bank pool player in Maryland.

I watched them play even 9 ball banks for 500 a game in the 80s.

Riggi had Jarbo stuck real good after about 10 hours of playing. 10 - 15 games.

Jarbo would not give up,

They played a few more hours and Jarbo had pulled to even and thats where it ended.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Big, Bad, Buck

There is a very nice gentleman that now plays One Pocket at Champions in Frederick Maryland. His name is Paul "Buck" Buckland. The nicest guy you would ever want to meet. I understand he was quite the gambler years back! Any stories?

Thanks

Wedge

yes, lots of stories.....

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black, I haven't been there but I believe it is in the mall. I also have zero trouble believing it is a dump considering location/area that it's in. Your right though Usa Laurel was always awesome! Im told Mr Lee Laurel is not involved at all but rather his brother Mr Lee Rosedale.
Richie, I was with Tom a few hours ago and he looked really good and told me he's been playing quite a bit of one hole these days.
About Riggi - he was AWESOME at banks and I only played him one time ever. He came to me one day and asked me to play a game of 9 ball banks for a candy bar. He got up ( no exageration here ) and slammed every shot as hard as he possibly could without flying off the table and split the pocket on every shot and ran 9 and out.

Joey V

Registered
I would say that Richard (the kid) Riggi and Charlie Jarbo were the best bank pool player in Maryland.

I watched them play even 9 ball banks for 500 a game in the 80s.

Riggi had Jarbo stuck real good after about 10 hours of playing. 10 - 15 games.

Jarbo would not give up,

They played a few more hours and Jarbo had pulled to even and thats where it ended.

Yep. Little Riggi was some banker. I remember watching him practice banks when I first started playing. He was making everything. Firing banks from everywhere 100 miles an hour. Next to Cigar Tom he was the best player around despite what some think.

I never heard of him and Tom matching up other than in tournaments. Do you know if they did and if so what was the outcome.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Buck

If you are reading the thread Tom Wirth (AKA Tom Tom) said he said to tell you Hi!

Wedge

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very nice gentleman that now plays One Pocket at Champions in Frederick Maryland. His name is Paul "Buck" Buckland. The nicest guy you would ever want to meet. I understand he was quite the gambler years back! Any stories?

Thanks

Wedge

If it is the same old DC/VA Buck he is a great up table one pocket heavly defensive player, for sure has lots of patience, banks well, knows the game well, his 9 ball game is not top but can play.