AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
according to ctsondemand

Anyone know why? Guesses?

Im betting he wasnt out partying last night

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Wow, that sucks anytime, much less in the middle of a tournament like this.

Glad he's OK.

Thanks for the update.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard from one of his friends, it was just a dent but the paperwork took so long, he missed the match by couple minutes.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
It's an interesting situation... Ralph has car accident, is physically fine, but stuck doing police reports, paperwork, etc. Tournament Director asks Deuel if he'd like to play at 3pm to accommodate Ralph's faultless situation. Corey says nope, playing at 12:30. Ralph didn't get there by 12:45, forfeited match.

So... question: Is Corey scared of Ralph and took this opportunity bypass the match? Or is this nothing personal, and just the way of playing in a tournament... a big jelly roll through an entire match?

Do you think Ralph would've moved the match for Corey?

If Corey was playing someone considerably less threatening, do you think he would've moved it?

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an interesting situation... Ralph has car accident, is physically fine, but stuck doing police reports, paperwork, etc. Tournament Director asks Deuel if he'd like to play at 3pm to accommodate Ralph's faultless situation. Corey says nope, playing at 12:30. Ralph didn't get there by 12:45, forfeited match.

So... question: Is Corey scared of Ralph and took this opportunity bypass the match? Or is this nothing personal, and just the way of playing in a tournament... a big jelly roll through an entire match?

If Corey was playing someone considerably less threatening, do you think he would've moved it?
This isn't some weekend regional tournament or a weekly bar tournament. This is a professional tournament and this is their livelihood. Whoever moves forward from the match is one step closer to recouping their costs to be there in the first place. I don't think it is fair to hang Corey by the short hairs for this.

There are only a small number of players that might agree to wait. I think the more money someone is out of pocket to be at a tournament will be a large deciding factor in whether or not they would wait.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it's more about principle with Corey...wasn't that long ago that Charlie forfeited him in a tourney that he felt he shouldn't have been forfeited cuz he checked bracket before he left for night & time was changed for next day match...I think that was what happened...So I imagine it's his way of saying rules are rules.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If you start making exceptions to the rules, where do you draw-the-line on what excuses are acceptable? We need black-and-white only, no gray areas. Either you make it to the match or you don't.

It's a tough way for Ralf to lose, but rules are rules. And no....Corey's not an a** for not moving his match. Many a player would've taken THAT forfeit.

Maniac

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
This isn't some weekend regional tournament or a weekly bar tournament. This is a professional tournament and this is their livelihood. Whoever moves forward from the match is one step closer to recouping their costs to be there in the first place. I don't think it is fair to hang Corey by the short hairs for this.

There are only a small number of players that might agree to wait. I think the more money someone is out of pocket to be at a tournament will be a large deciding factor in whether or not they would wait.

I wasn't really trying to hang Corey up for this, but it is an interesting question... at least to me. I expected him to postpone just because I had figured it was some sort of professional courtesy... extenuating circumstances, and all.

But yeah - I think if it had been earlier in the tournament, or something less important, he probably would've waited. At least... that's my opinion.

On the other hand, rules are rules... but surely there has to be some sort of exception for events like this?

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
If Corey had agreed to play at 3pm and then lost to Ralf, he would have hated himself.

It's a no brainer, really. Would you play Ralf Souquet if you had the option to cruise past him via forfeit?

PS: Ralf is better than Corey...and I'm sure that played a part in Corey's decision.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey did nothing wrong.

It would have been above and beyond if he agreed to the postponement. Not to mention Corey had planned to play at that time and may have exercised, eaten and or meditated for optimum performance with that time in mind. Ralf probably knows he was taking a chance going out the morning of a match.

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think it depends on the situation. If the person doesn't show up on time because they overslept or didn't pay attention then that is a personal issue and they should be more responsible. This was a situation most likely beyone Ralf's control, and I would have had to give him a little slack.

If the roles were reversed and you (or Corey) were in a car wreck, wouldn't you hope that your opponent would wait for you. I believe this is a situation where Corey should have went by the spirit of the law and not the letter of it. The rules are there to keep the people responsible for their conduct. This could not have been avoided by Ralf.

Maybe I am a sucker, but I consider it the right thing to do. I would have waited.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think it depends on the situation. If the person doesn't show up on time because they overslept or didn't pay attention then that is a personal issue and they should be more responsible. This was a situation most likely beyone Ralf's control, and I would have had to give him a little slack.

If the roles were reversed and you (or Corey) were in a car wreck, wouldn't you hope that your opponent would wait for you. I believe this is a situation where Corey should have went by the spirit of the law and not the letter of it. The rules are there to keep the people responsible for their conduct. This could not have been avoided by Ralf.

Maybe I am a sucker, but I consider it the right thing to do. I would have waited.

What if you waited and found out after there was no car accident? Ralf wouldnt do it but u can bet your butt others would lie their ass off trying to stay in the tournament!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IF this is the way it spun out, the tournament director should have never thrown it to Corey to make the call in the first place, because A: it shouldn't be Corey's call -- it's the TD's call and; B: exactly because it puts Corey in a bad spot.

The TD should have the cojones to make this call without consulting the opponent. The rules is the rules and we need more solid enforcement, not player coddling.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: