RIP Scotty Townsend

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lost A Friend, R.I.P., Scott

What a loss to the pool world. One the great storytellers, action players, tell it like it was characters of our game.
Such good memories over the years of tourneys with Scotty in attendance. And so many colorful stories. He had one about the red circle cue balls, when they first came out, Scotty did not like them at all. He lost a gambling match playing with one. He took the red circle (borrowed it) and, I wish I could remember where, buried it beside a tree. When he was telling this, he said it was probably grown over by now. But the way he told his stories, they were hilarious.
Scotty won the Huebler tourney in 1988 in Irving, Tx(Dallas), had 149 entrants. Scott Smith directed, Gary Benson supplied the bartables. I finished 3rd behind Scotty and Bob Vanover.
Scotty was a very strong bartable player, his break rivaled that of David Matlock's. Hard to believe he was only 56, been around so long.

Scotty will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him. Robert Newkirk

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very sad, we lost another legend of the game. I never met Scotty, but have read and heard so many stories about him I felt like I had. Rest in Peace to my brother I never met.

Dave

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the same guy. Scotty Townsend had all his limbs. He's also quite a bit older than the Scott on the tv show.

RIP Scotty Townsend

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Not sure about that but I believe he had lost his arm from elbow down from some disease
in his 20s. He still was one hell of a pool player, believe he was also on that TV show Hustlers that aired for one season early tis year.

RIP SCOTTY. You'll be missed.

Last edited:

Jadssons

Rehab is for Quitters
Silver Member
I saw Scotty make one of the best pool shots I've ever seen once in a tourney. He was incredible to watch.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a shame. I didn't know him but watched him on several live streams over the years. He looked like he was born to be a pool player.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scotty Townsend.jpg

Scotty Townsend Rest in Peace

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've known Scotty for nearly 40 years, since they brought him into a bar to play me in Monroe in 1978. He was a scrawny long haired hippie who shot lights out pool. We remained friends ever since. Scotty never backed down from a game or a challenge. All the stories about him are true! He would put Pool Wars to shame with his exploits. Gonna miss you man. :frown:

GoldenFlash

Banned
I sincerely hope Mr. Townsend was settled up with God.

Like the thread says....a larger than life player from the south. I watched him play many times. At times Scotty played at a very high level. His character was as wild as it gets.
RIP Scotty
I am deleting my comments.
(bad timing on my part)

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what GoldenFlash -- sometimes the truth is overrated. You could have waited a fee weeks or months to get your point across.