Scott Frost bitten by black widow

Sev

I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Silver Member
CamposCues said:
I think the girl at my work had a bad case and it caused her to get pneumonia on top of it, which is why she barely recoved.

Things that scare me:

50 cal machine gun...nope
Homocidal maniacs...nope
Rattlesnakes...nope
Rats...nope
Bats...nope
A tiny little dust spider...yep! I hate spiders, those creepy little b@stards;)

I hear ya bro!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It is not a spider bite...

First off, my hope is Scott recovers in fine shape...and I'm betting he does.

Second, I'm married to an expert on MRSA. My wife and I knew Scott when he was younger and when I told her about the spider bite her first comment was:

"It is not a spider bite."

"Most who have MRSA infections think they've been bit by a spider but haven't. That symptom is a classic one for indentifying MRSA."

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
most spiders can't even break the skin

CamposCues said:
I think the girl at my work had a bad case and it caused her to get pneumonia on top of it, which is why she barely recoved.

Things that scare me:

50 cal machine gun...nope
Homocidal maniacs...nope
Rattlesnakes...nope
Rats...nope
Bats...nope
A tiny little dust spider...yep! I hate spiders, those creepy little b@stards;)

Most spiders, something like 90-95% of them, can't bite hard enough to break the skin. Those other few spiders are some busy little bassets ain't they? :D

Hu

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
007 said:
AFAIK, no such spider by that name exists. :scratchhead: I'm thinking someone thought "black" widow wasn't PC and tried to proclaim a new name for it...

Sorry to hear this...but yes, there are Black Widow spiders..we have them here in Oklahoma also....ugly for sure

The black widow spider is a group of spiders which includes the southern black widow (Latrodectus mactans), the northern black widow (Latrodectus variolus), and the western black widow (Latrodectus hesperus). They are well known for the distinctive black and red coloring of the female of the species and for the fact that she will occasionally eat her mate after reproduction

I have a friend that has a 9yr old daughter that was bitten by a Brown Recluse also....man....them spiders will sure tear you up! She had a HUGE hold in her shoulder...could almost see the bone

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they were making fun of the "PC" version

Someone said something about an afro-american widow spider or something silly. The black widow gets her name from her color and her tendency to dine on her mate.

I had a similar problem trying to be PC talking about my mailman who is a ma'am. Mailman didn't work. Mailwoman was still a sexist designation. Mailperson sounded better but it still sounded like I was saying "male". I finally solved the PC problem by calling them "personperson".

I think I am OK on the Political Correctness front now but nobody has a clue what I am talking about! It's a confusing world for an old country boy.

Hu

ftgokie said:
Sorry to hear this...but yes, there are Black Widow spiders..we have them here in Oklahoma also....ugly for sure

The black widow spider is a group of spiders which includes the southern black widow (Latrodectus mactans), the northern black widow (Latrodectus variolus), and the western black widow (Latrodectus hesperus). They are well known for the distinctive black and red coloring of the female of the species and for the fact that she will occasionally eat her mate after reproduction

I have a friend that has a 9yr old daughter that was bitten by a Brown Recluse also....man....them spiders will sure tear you up! She had a HUGE hold in her shoulder...could almost see the bone

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spiders

ShootingArts said:
Most spiders, something like 90-95% of them, can't bite hard enough to break the skin. Those other few spiders are some busy little bassets ain't they? :D

Hu

Yeah, I've heard that. I heard the daddy long leg was the most venemous spider in North America but it couldn't bite through skin. I don't care what spider can bite through this or that...if a spider gets anywhere near me I scream rape. If one actually touches me, I usually require a Crying Game shower. I think my whole family is ashamed but hey, they're creepy.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish the best for my 'Scotty'....tough luck there. I sure hope he has insurance, but would be willing to bet against it. Pool players w/insurance are far, and few between.

Here's one of our local (AZ) spiders. This one's a male that was out looking for love, and found my trash can wheel. Oops!

I have two Mexican Fire leg Tarantula's (both female) living here in my yard. One in the front, she's been here longer than I have (5 yrs). And a new one that came last summer. She's got her burrow in the back yard. They can live to be 30 yrs old.

The one in the front yard is used to being 'fed'....I'll bring out a piece of meat (on a wooden skewer!)....I learned how FAST they can be when after prey by not using a skewer, The first time I had the meat between my fingers when she came roaring out of the burrow...scared the $@%$ out of me. Needless to say, I dropped the meat.

And from that point on....I used the skewer.

They are beautiful though....for spiders.

83614678.jpg

And with a coin, so you may tell it's size.
83614689.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Wayne are you sure it was a Black Widow Spider, and not a Brown Recluse that carry Necrotizing Fasciitis also know as the flesh eating disease, as when have Brown Recluse spiders in AZ.

Sounds to me like it could be. A friend of mine in Central America was bitten by a Brown Recluse there, and they cut pieces of necrotized (dead) flesh out of the wound for weeks before they finally caught up with it. Left an ugly hole that never did fill in completely (although it healed over).

Of course, medical treatment there isn't as good as here, so it might turn out better if you get good treatment fast. Brown Recluses are known to be nasty little devils, and they are found in the US too.

pj
chgo

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was a black widow spider bite. The biggest problems came after and probably from the infection not necissarily the spider bite itself. I saw it on Saturday and it did not look like a brown recluse bite to me.

Normally to be bitten by a brown recluse you have to go look for it - they usually don't find you and bite you. I have lived in AZ for 11 years and seen 1 brown recluse (in an attic crawlspace that had never been entered before) on the other hand I have seen thousands of black widows.

BVal <----used to be an exterminator :)

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
CamposCues said:
Yeah, I've heard that. I heard the daddy long leg was the most venemous spider in North America but it couldn't bite through skin. I don't care what spider can bite through this or that...if a spider gets anywhere near me I scream rape. If one actually touches me, I usually require a Crying Game shower. I think my whole family is ashamed but hey, they're creepy.

The brown recluse is another nasty bugger, it can and will break the skin and its bite can kill you. I've seen a few that were huge..... ick.........

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spiders

Sweet pics Rick S. You can keep those suckers...I know they can break skin. I saw a lady feed a galiath tarantula a gerbil at a pet shop. You'd of thought that thing was Richard Gere the way it was after that gerbil.

SloRoller

Stuck in SLO
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Wayne are you sure it was a Black Widow Spider, and not a Brown Recluse that carry Necrotizing Fasciitis also know as the flesh eating disease, as when have Brown Recluse spiders in AZ.

Sounds to me like it could be. A friend of mine in Central America was bitten by a Brown Recluse there, and they cut pieces of necrotized (dead) flesh out of the wound for weeks before they finally caught up with it. Left an ugly hole that never did fill in completely (although it healed over).

Of course, medical treatment there isn't as good as here, so it might turn out better if you get good treatment fast. Brown Recluses are known to be nasty little devils, and they are found in the US too.

pj
chgo

My mother in Kansas was bitten by a brown recluse and was in the hospital for 3 days.

Nasty buggers.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
TheBook said:
Could this be joke that may involve something with Jeanette Lee?

Usually when something starts with a firend of so and so it is not true.

If there is any truth to it the why doesn't the OP state who the good friend is?

This is no joke. I saw Scott at the DCT event last weekend, as did 100 or so other people, and he was on crutches. Whenever he would try to move around, it was obvious he was in a LOT of pain. At one point, he pulled up his pants leg to show some friends the ugly sore where the bite had been inflicted. This is all very real and very serious. I'm extremely sorry to hear that it has become even more so in the past few days.

Roger

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabe Owen was bit by a spider two years ago and had a chuck of skin missing above his eye. It was nasty looking. I hope Scott is okay.

Keep the friggin' spiders away from me please.

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
whoa!

Rick S. said:
I wish the best for my 'Scotty'....tough luck there. I sure hope he has insurance, but would be willing to bet against it. Pool players w/insurance are far, and few between.

Here's one of our local (AZ) spiders. This one's a male that was out looking for love, and found my trash can wheel. Oops!

I have two Mexican Fire leg Tarantula's (both female) living here in my yard. One in the front, she's been here longer than I have (5 yrs). And a new one that came last summer. She's got her burrow in the back yard. They can live to be 30 yrs old.

The one in the front yard is used to being 'fed'....I'll bring out a piece of meat (on a wooden skewer!)....I learned how FAST they can be when after prey by not using a skewer, The first time I had the meat between my fingers when she came roaring out of the burrow...scared the $@%$ out of me. Needless to say, I dropped the meat.

83614678.jpg

83614689.jpg

I always thought you were a freak, now i know you are. :) That is disgusting and a little scary to say the least.

Get well Scott, and get back to firing those balls in.

Dennis

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rick S. said:

I do not think you are going to get any takers on that bet, but I would guess the E.R. & Hospital will do everything in their power to collect the bill for service.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Rick S. said:

83614678.jpg

83614689.jpg
Holy smokes that suckas huge,get the shotgun out !!!