Should women be allowed to compete in US Open 9 Ball Championship?

Should women be allowed to compete in US Open 9 Ball?

• Yes, Open means open. Anyone should be able to play.

Votes: 253 74.9%
  • No, US Open 9 Ball should be men only.

Votes: 82 24.3%
  • What is US Open 9 Ball?

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Why won't anyone that is against the women playing in the US Open answer this question? If the women open up their Open to men or close it down would it be OK then for them to play in the US Open? After all it can't be the money they would take away from the men or that a lot of men can't stand the thought of a woman beating them at pool. As far as taking points away from the men for the Mosconi Cup, why worry about that if they can't place high in the Open?:rolleyes: Johnnyt

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why won't anyone that is against the women playing in the US Open answer this question? If the women open up their Open to men or close it down would it be OK then for them to play in the US Open? After all it can't be the money they would take away from the men or that a lot of men can't stand the thought of a woman beating them at pool. As far as taking points away from the men for the Mosconi Cup, why worry about that if they can't place high in the Open?:rolleyes: Johnnyt

well said johnnyt. i think its just crazy to keep saying "the women have their open that men cant play in so why shouldnt we". its just the attitude of a 6 year old. truthfully the wpba's "9 ball open" isnt really much more than just another stop on the tour. its just an excuse to exclude woman. such blatant misogyny is just inexcusable.

brian

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Why won't anyone that is against the women playing in the US Open answer this question? If the women open up their Open to men or close it down would it be OK then for them to play in the US Open? :rolleyes: Johnnyt

Thats because some of us don't spend 24/7 on here. I think tradition should prevail and start a new tournament with a new format.

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
US Open Question regarding women

I believe it depends upon how we choose to define championship status in our sport? Golf and Tennis both have chosen separate events for such recognition of champions, men vs women. Pool though is not a strength game, thus we could adopt whatever, we choose. I know for certain a lot of guys that would not want to make a living playing some of our top female champions!

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the prior agreements maybe there needs to be a new tournament that is truly "open" to anyone. It might oushine some of the others. It would be good to see something at Derby City !

If the poll is any indication there would be much support for such an event.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe me; I would enjoy watching the likes of Allison Fisher, Jeanette Lee, Jasmin Ouschan, and many others.

Simply said, if the W.P.B.A would allow men to play in there majors it would be very possible that I would follow suit. So, if you want to see the women compete in next year’s U.S. Open email them and ask them why they will not allow men to play in their U.S. Open. If they decide to do so, more than likely I will strongly consider allowing the women to compete as well. That may be very cool and great for the game and especially for the fans of the game.
If men were allowed to compete in the woman's U.S. Open, it would destroy the tournament as we know it. The male players would probably dominate the playing field and take most of the top 10 or 20 places in the standings, leaving very little prize funds for the women players. Over time, many women players would opt to not compete.

While letting men play in the woman's U.S. Open would be disastrous for the sport, I think that letting women play in the men's U.S. Open would be highly beneficial for the game.

In looking at the results of this poll, 75% of the people responding think that women should be allowed to play in the U.S. Open. Perhaps it's time for Barry to reconsider his position...or at least try it out for a year or two and see what happens.

Last edited:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
vette i'm sorry but youre just wrong here. again the overiding concern here should be what's best for the sport and no matter how you slice it letting women play in the us open will be better for the sport and make the tourney more profitable as a business venture. the poll makes it pretty clear (3:1 margin) that respondents feel that women should be allowed to play. while mr behrman has done an excellent job making the us open into an icon, he should listen to what he is being told by the public. he has the opportunity to take "his" tournament to the next level. hey if dp can give grady an invite to the 14.1 championships, then surely mr behrman can make this fine tourny a true open format.

brian

for your information, and in case you didn't read the entire thread before commenting, I voted that they SHOULD be allowed to compete. The reasoning behind it was to pad the purses.

My argument is not whether they should be included or not, because it would'nt bother me at all for them to be included, but that NONE of them could compete for the championship. In earlier posts, that I'm sure you skipped over, I acknowledged the fact that they can play and I'm sure upsets would happen. But, they would not have a chance at winning the tournament. PERIOD.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If there's not a men's only tourney, then there should be no women's only tourneys.

I don't think there should be any women's only or men's only tourneys, but if there's either, then there should be both.

If some of the women aren't good enough to compete with the men, then start a AAA tour that excludes the top playing men.

Jaden

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Barry just needs to rename it the Mens US open and be done with it. I can understand the points of both sides, but I have always understood this to be a mens only event.

Fact is you have mens, and womens, SEPERATE pro events and tours. Unless you allow integration of BOTH you should integrate neither.

JV

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
continued.......football, golf, soccer, swimming, diving, cycling, weightlifting, wrestling, boxing.........

The only thing I can even think of where men DO compete with women is poker and that isn't even a sport.

sorry vette if i misunderstood your position. i did in fact skip over portions of this thread. however the above lead me believe you were against it

dont most of the players in the us open have no chance to win?

right now there probably are no women who could take it, but there are a few who could make a good run and this would make for very compelling spectating. and if women routinely completed with the men the higher level game would force them to elevate as well. so maybe not this year or next but who knows a few years down the road...

brian

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A women could win the U.S Open! A long shot definitely but certainly not impossible. It's more like 100-1 if all the top women were to play.

I agreed actuall with you both here. the odds of an Allixon winning something as the US Open could very well be a million to one. But Jay's assesment of 100-1 are probably more accurate and realistic.

As i thought of this though I am reminded of 2 incidents over the years. Back in the early 70"s Kieth thonson of Houston wonthe 9 Ball in Johnson City! Qt the start of the tournament he would have been at least 100-1 odds and most wondered why he was iven there.

About the same periiod Andy Obuin of La Mesa Texas won the 9 Ball at the topicana in Vergas and again most wondered why he was there. ANother 100-1.
At the same time I was just wondering if Allison could beat either of these guys???? Well, I see it as 6-5 pick=em match and would have to have bet on Andy and Kieith.
i guess what I am saying is , yes, let them play. It is highly unlikely a female wins the US open, but it was Highly unlike that Kieth or Anday won, but hings happen in pool and sometimes the bals allow funny things to happen!! if it happens for a women from time to time maybe it will loosen things up a bit and we will continiue to fill events. After all, ti isn't really the 96 who cashe that make a good event, it is the remainder of the field!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agreed actuall with you both here. the odds of an Allixon winning something as the US Open could very well be a million to one. But Jay's assesment of 100-1 are probably more accurate and realistic.

As i thought of this though I am reminded of 2 incidents over the years. Back in the early 70"s Kieth thonson of Houston wonthe 9 Ball in Johnson City! Qt the start of the tournament he would have been at least 100-1 odds and most wondered why he was iven there.

About the same periiod Andy Obuin of La Mesa Texas won the 9 Ball at the topicana in Vergas and again most wondered why he was there. ANother 100-1.
At the same time I was just wondering if Allison could beat either of these guys???? Well, I see it as 6-5 pick=em match and would have to have bet on Andy and Kieith.
i guess what I am saying is , yes, let them play. It is highly unlikely a female wins the US open, but it was Highly unlike that Kieth or Anday won, but hings happen in pool and sometimes the bals allow funny things to happen!! if it happens for a women from time to time maybe it will loosen things up a bit and we will continiue to fill events. After all, ti isn't really the 96 who cashe that make a good event, it is the remainder of the field!!

The balls didn't roll funny when Jasmin kicked butt on Thomas Engert at last year's World Ten Ball Championship. She flat out-played him in nearly every aspect of the game. In case anyone doesn't know, Thomas is a very high level pro, having the high run of the last twenty odd years, a 403. I don't know if John Schmidt has a run that high or not. Thomas has won major tournaments as well.

In my opinion there are at least a dozen women pros who can compete on equal terms with any man, and have a very good chance of winning. Yes, maybe they are the underdogs, but not big ones. I'll gladly take 2-1 on any match Karen, Allison, Yu Ram or Jasmin play with any male pro.

Carolina Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I know the streamed matches that I enjoy most are male V female. I just think the battle of the sexes thing puts a little more interest in it. If the US Open allowed women to play I would make a point to go to it every year rather than every so often as is now the case. I have attended it 3 times in the last ten years but would make it an annual if I could watch Jasmin and Allison and Karen and Yu Ram and Monica there on the hunt for scalps.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see TAR written all over this. How about some challenge matches. I think a few men might be hesitant to play a woman this way, but the really true men pool players would not be afraid to. And in my opinion, I think it would drive home the point, that only a couple of women pros can compete with a very large group of men pros. And everyone plays even, no special advantages. Now that would be interesting.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In individual sports players play up to the competition. World records are set and broken because the competition got more difficult. I think the same could be true for women. If they know they will play in the arena their game will come up to the competition. I suspect that some would practice longer and harder. For the first year or two it might look a little lopsided for some (not all) of the female pros who have not thought about playing in an open field, but they would soon get up to speed given the challenge and their determination. Jasmin has obviously decided that she is going to compete with men when and where possible and her game shows it. The same could be true for many others.

As someone pointed out playing pool is a sport in which men and women can compete equally. There only needs to be the motivation to do so. With truly open competition some of the all men and some of the all women events would be seen for what they are, minor leagues that lead to the pros. lay down the glove and see what happens. In many areas of life women are fierce competitors when the need or the opportunity is there. Men who can’t play well against women will just have to get up to speed or get out of the kitchen!

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This whole thing is ....

The balls didn't roll funny when Jasmin kicked butt on Thomas Engert at last year's World Ten Ball Championship. She flat out-played him in nearly every aspect of the game. In case anyone doesn't know, Thomas is a very high level pro, having the high run of the last twenty odd years, a 403. I don't know if John Schmidt has a run that high or not. Thomas has won major tournaments as well.

In my opinion there are at least a dozen women pros who can compete on equal terms with any man, and have a very good chance of winning. Yes, maybe they are the underdogs, but not big ones. I'll gladly take 2-1 on any match Karen, Allison, Yu Ram or Jasmin play with any male pro.

STUPID.... What is the big deal about pool that this man vs woman thing is a issue. is it because its the only game that women have a chance. Unless I missed it I didnt hear the gals in tennis running to get a chance to play the men, Im guessing the ladies in the LPGA just quietly think they should have a chance to play Tiger, and are no doubt offended that they dont have to play from the same tees.

Girls are girls and boys are boys, (thank goodness for that I like me a girl) any person deserves respect for an accomplishment, end of story.

Jay almost all the time I think your words are wisdom but I must say if your pm box is not blowing up with action I'll be the first to say Ill take SVB call pocket 10 ball race to 21, 4 1/2 inch pockets, 3 sets, my 500 against your 250 per set, against any girl you just named

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
STUPID.... What is the big deal about pool that this man vs woman thing is a issue. is it because its the only game that women have a chance. Unless I missed it I didnt hear the gals in tennis running to get a chance to play the men, Im guessing the ladies in the LPGA just quietly think they should have a chance to play Tiger, and are no doubt offended that they dont have to play from the same tees.

Girls are girls and boys are boys, (thank goodness for that I like me a girl) any person deserves respect for an accomplishment, end of story.

Jay almost all the time I think your words are wisdom but I must say if your pm box is not blowing up with action I'll be the first to say Ill take SVB call pocket 10 ball race to 21, 4 1/2 inch pockets, 3 sets, my 500 against your 250 per set, against any girl you just named

where the hell do you get off calling someone of jay's stature "stupid"? he has probably forgotten more about pool than you will ever know! everyone is entitled to their opinion. if you disagree, then give an intellectual rebuttal if you can...don't be an a$$hole and call someone names!

Last edited:

Soulcoma

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YEs but I think it should be played as men vs men and women vs women. then the champion of the men play the champion of the women and see who the best really is.

Some of them Professional women can spank a lot of the men. Even when spanking is not wanted :)

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again.....

where the hell do you get off calling someone of jay's stature "stupid"? he has probably forgotten more about pool than you will ever know! everyone is entitled to their opinion. if you disagree, then give an intellectual rebuttal if you can...don't be an a$$hole and call someone names!

Ignorance shines through...YOU are the one if i was to call anybody stupid that I would be directing it at.... You apperently didnt see or didnt understand "This whole thing" ment the topic of man vs woman I felt was stupid and couldnt figure it out from the text. But whatever so your not that sharp I know titles can be hard to understand....

Not that I owe you a complete break down of the reply but just to make sure your not to confused, I quoted Jay because of his 2 to 1 statment and if you were to read my reply to that you might even see a small compliment somyting about wisdom. I figure I should point that out do to the fact you might not be sharp enough to grasp that either. If you notice I started the last paragraph with "Jay" almost like at that point I was talking to him directly, got it, stupid.....:rolleyes: