Shut up or put up -- 90 degree "impossible" cut-shot

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
I never thought a true 90-degree cut-shot was possible, but when I finally managed to persuade my nemesis/hero Bob Jewett to try this -- whatever I thought was impossible he somehow managed to pull off in front of my dinky camera... and it didn't take him long either. And to make it even more impressive is that this was done on a super tight table (quadruple shimmed pockets).

For you who don't know Bob Jewett, I reluctantly admit that he's one of the most knowledgeable billiards persons of our time, and hence, as I've said many times before -- I hate this guy.

This is the video I shot last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

-- peer

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
Wow

Peer said:
I never thought a true 90-degree cut-shot was possible, but when I finally managed to persuade my nemesis/hero Bob Jewett to try this -- whatever I thought was impossible he somehow managed to pull off in front of my dinky camera... and it didn't take him long either. And to make it even more impressive is that this was done on a super tight table (quadruple shimmed pockets).

For you who don't know Bob Jewett, I reluctantly admit that he's one of the most knowledgeable billiards persons of our time, and hence, as I've said many times before -- I hate this guy.

This is the video I shot last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

-- peer
That is sick.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Nice shot - some serious throw on there! I'd have like to have seen the shot from above at some point and taken some Dramamine first, lol.

Good job showing us around the room.

And... Nice 'brow dude! :yikes:

Enjoyed it - Rep to you.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Nice shot! I saw Efren shoot that shot in a DCC 1P match under heat.

What's more impressive is your avatar. I didn't realize that's actually you until I saw your eyebrow. Nice photoshop work.

Dave

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will give tips on how to make that shot if u can get me a lap dance in Dejavue.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny "V" said:
Man that is one sweet Viking cue...
I got it from Mr. Viking himself, but that's a Josswest shaft.

For those who keep track of statistics, it took about 30 tries. On one shot that's on the video, I overcut the five towards a spot on the end rail 3/4 of a diamond from the pocket, but the five only went about eight inches.

Until a year and a half ago when I figured out the technique for this shot and for Vernon Elliott's impossible cross-side bank, I would have bet large sums against either one. It is possible for old dogs to learn new tricks. For Elliott's shot, see Joe Tucker's amazing video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-vXWEA_TU

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:

The difference is, Spider, Efren killed the ball two rails with inside english and came back down to be straight in for his next shot. That had to be one of the top two shots I have ever seen. The man is simply the greatest and unlike Mosconi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles.

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some rep points heading to you, Peer, for the uploading the video :thumbup:

EDIT - I was going to send some rep points to Bob for making the shot, but I can't send anymore rep points yet :(

Nice job guys :)

Willie

Last edited:

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
SpiderWebComm said:

The difference is, Spider, Efren killed the ball two rails with inside english and came back down to be straight in for his next shot. That had to be one of the top two shots I have ever seen. The man is simply the greatest and unlike Mosconi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles.

Whats the other shot?

Nice shooting BTW.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
great shot

I took a lesson from Earl and during the lesson he was showing me a
shot at about 60 to 70 degrees .He then moved the OB up to around
80 or 90 degrees like that just to show me it was possible when I was
doubting him a little and made it at least 3 x's in a row .The greats
believe in the stroke they have .;)

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
SpiderWebComm said:

Hemi:

It was the sickest sh1t I've ever seen in my life. The odds are so low...and to step up with the crowd staring and the TV camera rolling and hit it with conviction on try #1....well, I dunno.... I'm speechless.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
... Efren killed the ball two rails with inside english and came back down to be straight in for his next shot. ...
I suspect that Efren didn't cut the object ball 93 degrees with inside English. I'm guessing his was about an 80-degree cut which still looks more or less impossible.

Note that with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and the object ball on the spot (as in the video), it is more than a 90-degree cut to make the ball in the other corner pocket. I think that's not possible with inside and I'd pay to be proven wrong.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I suspect that Efren didn't cut the object ball 93 degrees with inside English. I'm guessing his was about an 80-degree cut which still looks more or less impossible.

Note that with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and the object ball on the spot (as in the video), it is more than a 90-degree cut to make the ball in the other corner pocket. I think that's not possible with inside and I'd pay to be proven wrong.

Bob, me bringing up Efren wasn't meant to lessen your attaboy on your shot. You're right... I would pay to see as well. You hit that shot really, really well. How did you shoot it?

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was the infamous Jewett briefcase????? :grin:

Nice shot Bob!!

Anyone have a link to the Efren shot that is being talked about?