Sky and Shane Squabble

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Seems like they sorted it out. Let it die.

Parica said he played his best when he was 17 IIRC. May be true for nine ball which is scary. He was a beast for a long time.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane was born in 1983. He was 19-21 from 2002-2004. During this time he was a really good up and comer. He was winning regional bar table tournaments and starting to beat some good players gambling. In 2005 he finished 25-33rd at the US Open.

Two years later, at the age of 24, he beat Corey in a race to 100. He then won the US Open. 2007 was his break through year.

It is hard to say he didn't increase his overall performance between 2007 and 2012. He gained experience and his moving game and mental game both grew stronger and stronger.

So I'd say he had several big break throughs between 21 and 30. I think the 30 year old SVB could spot the 21 year old SVB quite a bit. I could say the same about Chang, Soquet, Shaw, and quite a few others.

I don't disagree with the idea that it is hard to plateau at one level and grind to the top of pool, but there are exception cases all over.

There's also Efren who really caught a gear in the 2000s when he turned 46.

2004-2007 and 2014 1P Champion
2001 Tokyo Open
2004 World 8 Ball
2005 All Japan Championship

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you do not really mean what you said in this comment and it was meant more for attention. Can you name one top tier player that played their best at 19-21? Shane, Sky, Earl, Johnny, Sigel, Buddy?? None of them. That was a ridiculous comment
I absolutely mean it and not looking for attention. To each his or her own;)

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just an old country boy and easily confused by this big city stuff so I'll ask again. How is the loser "still owed from the match"? How did he make money while losing? Did he get a slice of the PPV? Was he supposed to get a walking stick?
Sky was referring to the match with Dennis that he won.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
many people have a hard time getting along with someone better than them. its called jealousy

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious what you and others may think. Jay Helfert said one time in a National Billiards Newsletter that every player his a peak, some lasting longer than others. What do you think of Shane's peak? Is he at the top of his game today and holding on strong, still climbing to a higher level, or maybe starting to dwindle a little?
Shane has another 15 years as a world class player. He's so in tune with the modern equipment. Unless that drastically changed or he has health issues...he's our alpha dog.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane was born in 1983. He was 19-21 from 2002-2004. During this time he was a really good up and comer. He was winning regional bar table tournaments and starting to beat some good players gambling. In 2005 he finished 25-33rd at the US Open.

Two years later, at the age of 24, he beat Corey in a race to 100. He then won the US Open. 2007 was his break through year.

It is hard to say he didn't increase his overall performance between 2007 and 2012. He gained experience and his moving game and mental game both grew stronger and stronger.

So I'd say he had several big break throughs between 21 and 30. I think the 30 year old SVB could spot the 21 year old SVB quite a bit. I could say the same about Chang, Soquet, Shaw, and quite a few others.

I don't disagree with the idea that it is hard to plateau at one level and grind to the top of pool, but there are exception cases all over.
At 21 you have no respect for money which allows you to play fearlessly. I think a players best game is after 25.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laundry was aired on social media. It’s a learning moment for them both. We will remember this forever and milk it as a lifelong grudge. They’ll probably squash this behind closed doors long before we realize the beef is over. Probably already have.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Players have a grudge match no problem.

At least make it worthwhile.

Have the loser of the bet host and put up prize money for a tournament at the winners home pool room. loser pays for room and board and brings at least a few upcoming players.

This way they can practice coaching skills. SVB is a disaster when it comes to coaching. Earl has great commentary and no one knew he had that potential. Put Earl as MC coach. Or hire Earl as player consultant. Earl should still
be in spotlight to represent the older generations even Capt Hook too. I feel bad leaving scorpion out.

This way people can travel and build the pool community. The old one on one shoot out only happens in fencing.

Add a team aspect like how rugby has 7s and 15s.

This way both men can practice being leaders not just mouths.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha! I thought it was about time to have a dog picture in the thread.

Mickey at front door.jpg

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My strong personal opinion is a player’s peak is at age 19-21.

I don’t think players improve past that for physical reasons.

I think genetics is the limiting factor of how strong a player can become.

Its not a popular opinion here, but it’s mine:)

So you think efren peaked at 21? Not a chance. 19 to 21 they don’t have the depth of the game yet. If it was the case then the top 5 players would be in that age range.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kieth Mc might be the exception......wonder what his opinion is
It's an interesting thought shared by iusedtoberich. In Keith's case, he started playing pool really young and due to family difficulties, he ended up living, literally, in the pool room as a kid, sleeping under the tables at night. He lived and breathed pool. Players like Cole Dickson, Larry Lisciotti, and Jimmy Reid were his mentors, family, and best friends. When Keith was 19 or 20, he was approaching his peak for sure.

Shane also has pool is his family, all of them strong players, and so he also lived and breathed pool growing up. I have always liked Shane, his quiet demeanor on and off the table. He has a cute giggle when somebody tickles his funny bone, and on a field of tournament blue, he's shoots like a well-oiled machine. His dedication to practice reminds me of Earl Strickland, who also would practice for hours and hours on, say, his break. I think Shane is still enjoying his pool peak, which is still going strong, just like Earl Strickland's peak went for a long time too when Earl was in his prime.

What I like about Sky Woodward is his ability to play all games. He's most definitely not a one-trick pony, this kid, and as strong as Sky plays today, I actually think he's still on the rise and has not approached his peak quite yet. He is most definitely one of America's best. The thing about Sky that I love the most is the way he interacts with the pool fans. He always takes time to let them know how much he appreciates their cheering him on and support. I think we haven't seen the best of Sky quite yet, and that's a good thing. He's probably one of the most amiable players on the circuit today. He shares his life's journey with his fans. That little boy of his is the spitting image of Sky. Whatever happens to his pool career, thank goodness he's got a loving Home Sweet Home. Maybe that's the glue that keeps Sky's pool machine going strong.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, all's well that ends well. Sky's wife posted a photo of Sky's new hairdo sans the mullet. Sky is looking great, by the way, with his new look. Shane posted on the thread with a funny post. Whatever happened, it's squashed. Shane and Sky are both in Texas now at the Skinny Bob's pool room. What a collection of pool greats at this event. Too many to name, but here a stab at a few that I remember seeing in the photo: Shane, Sky, Jeremy, Omar, Corey, Mika, Chris Reinhold, Chip Compton, Tony Chohan, Billy Thorpe, Alex Pagulayan, Naoyuki Oi, Roberto Gomez, Scott Frost, John Morra, Warren Kiamco, just to name a few. :p

Now we're in the driver's seat to win the Mosconi Cup with Shane and Sky leading the way.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My strong personal opinion is a player’s peak is at age 19-21.

I don’t think players improve past that for physical reasons.

I think genetics is the limiting factor of how strong a player can become.

Its not a popular opinion here, but it’s mine:)
I’ve heard a number of players say their shotmaking was at its peak when they were that young. So maybe execution peaks at a young age. But their results on the table don’t bear this out.

From a competition/tournament play stand point players seem to peak after the age of 30. So although they may have been better shotmakers they become better competitors with age, which is ultimately more important it seems.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well, all's well that ends well. Sky's wife posted a photo of Sky's new hairdo sans the mullet. Sky is looking great, by the way, with his new look. Shane posted on the thread with a funny post. Whatever happened, it's squashed. Shane and Sky are both in Texas now at the Skinny Bob's pool room. What a collection of pool greats at this event. Too many to name, but here a stab at a few that I remember seeing in the photo: Shane, Sky, Jeremy, Omar, Corey, Mika, Chris Reinhold, Chip Compton, Tony Chohan, Billy Thorpe, Alex Pagulayan, Naoyuki Oi, Roberto Gomez, Scott Frost, John Morra, Warren Kiamco, just to name a few. :p

Now we're in the driver's seat to win the Mosconi Cup with Shane and Sky leading the way.

View attachment 607591
I haven't read all of this but one thing I thought was part of the match between sky/shane was that if Sky lost the mullet would need to go.

• Haha
Reactions: JAM