So Skyler got drug tested immediately after losing to Oi???

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There is no evidence or studies to suggest any drugs make you better at pool.

Why does the WPA follow scientists that do not use research or science to state their case?

If the BCA created a disabilities and challenge lab to get ahead of political problems an American poolplayer would
not be at risk for suspension.

An official media team can make pool players the victims not the violators.

Pool players are victims of poor WPA delegation of rules to IOC general guidelines with no process for local adaptation.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes sense. I doubt any Dr. treating a patient would object to it. BUT, would it be accepted by the governing body of pool without any hassles or still be assholes?
I have never applied for a exemption or known anyone who has. I would sure hope that someone relying on a banned medication for survival would be granted a TUE.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beta blockers are of tremendous help for someone who has no high blood pressure or any type of heart problem. A small dose can help control the heart rate & blood pressure. The medication eliminates or extremely lessens any kind of tremor that comes with anxiety. The biggest thing for me is that is blocks the surge of adrenaline that causes all of the above. Once that hits, it's all over because it takes far too long to come back to baseline state of being.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Beta blockers are of tremendous help for someone who has no high blood pressure or any type of heart problem. A small dose can help control the heart rate & blood pressure. The medication eliminates or extremely lessens any kind of tremor that comes with anxiety.
Now I'm wondering if my pacemaker would be banned under WPA/IOC rules??? :oops::oops::oops:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There is at least one or two academic people on the forum.

I bet with 100% certainty pool players can design a bar experiment to show that regardless of which drug taken, it does not improve your ability to pocket a shot.

If a pro locks you down with a safe, take as many drugs or healing medicines as you need, you still lose the set.

If we all do this experiment, then submit an evidence based report, politically its a boondoggle.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is at least one or two academic people on the forum.

I bet with 100% certainty pool players can design a bar experiment to show that regardless of which drug taken, it does not improve your ability to pocket a shot.

If a pro locks you down with a safe, take as many drugs or healing medicines as you need, you still lose the set.

If we all do this experiment, then submit an evidence based report, politically its a boondoggle.
Your ignorance continues to astound, due to the certainty you put forth from your incorrect position.

I guess you've never seen a man smoke pcp and drink about 20 beers over 5 hours and do what he wants on a pool table.

It is real. It is also disgusting and frightening.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've briefly looked but have already found one banned drug on the list I take for my heart (metoprolol). It's on page 19 and specifically mentions billiards as one of the sports for which it is banned.

With my health issues, I currently take 8 prescribed medications, some twice daily. I probably should be banned from breathing air!
They'd never allow me in the room. I'm on 5 or more of the banned subs for heart and other medical ailments.
Nothing that gets me high or is worth a damn other than hopefully keeping my ass vertical for one more day. 🤷‍♂️✌️

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The WPA is paying for it and I would guess thousands per event. A person from the approved/licensed/certified testing company has to be at the venue to be present when the samples are collected. I don't know if there is on-site equipment to do the tests. So that's maybe a couple of days of room and board plus travel costs for the test person. Also, a WPA official has to be present to arrange for the random selection from the finalists and help round up the players to be tested after they are eliminated. Presumably each test result is fairly expensive as you have to pay for the equipment, supplies and tech. I wonder if the equipment has to be able to find everything on the WADA list.
That test would cost thousands of dollars and probably show a false positive due to the mix of chems necessary to trigger reactions to all of those subs. Impossible. All the tests I've seen target 10 to 15 subs and their derivatives. Most are instant reaction cups that don't even get to a lab. Just to the onsite tech to interpret the results by coloration/striation on the cups themselves.
More in-depth analysis would be cost preventative. Even for the small number of players at said event.
Jmo&2¢ plain. Lol.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
If you are going to do useful drug testing against the current list of banned substances, it's what you have to do. If there is ridiculosity to be found here it is in the usefulness of drug testing.
They also must consider false positives and negatives. It happens more than you'd think. Check it out. Info's out there, just Giggle it. Lol.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely believe this would help your pool game.

One time in college towards the end of the semester, I had several papers due along with needing to study for finals. I had one day to accomplish a real lot of work. I bought what's commonly known on college campuses as a "study buddy". Cost me ten bucks for one pill. These drugs, taken by people that don't need them, provides what's called "hyper concentration".

I can tell you they work. I went into the library at around 9am. The next thing I knew it was 11pm and they were turning off the lights. Seriously, I don't even know where all those hours went. I finished all my papers, read all my assignments, and studied well enough to pass all my exams. It was a weird, indescribable feeling to be able to bear down and concentrate like that. I'm thinking that would HAVE to help playing pool.

George the Greek

They'd never allow me in the room. I'm on 5 or more of the banned subs for heart and other medical ailments.
Nothing that gets me high or is worth a damn other than hopefully keeping my ass vertical for one more day. 🤷‍♂️✌️
As long as we're on the grass instead of under we're doing good. I just left the Urologist after getting an injection that I get every 3 months. Glad I'm not paying for that ($1500) and the rest of the scripts. The rest of the tests came back good such as PSA levels,hemoglobin, cholesterol etc.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your ignorance continues to astound, due to the certainty you put forth from your incorrect position.

I guess you've never seen a man smoke pcp and drink about 20 beers over 5 hours and do what he wants on a pool table.

It is real. It is also disgusting and frightening.
I've seen that a lot. Crazy how fast and good they can play. Drugs may not help you understand all the shots, but they can definitely make you focused and fearless.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It is one helluva long list!! Most comprehensive I've seen outside of IOC.
The question is "why"? Because it gives a player the edge to play better against another player? Maybe but not necessarily.
I'd rather see pool stay the way it was years ago "back in the day". If anyone thinks there's an edge with a lot of booze or other drugs in the system while playing pool, seeing double, slurred speech, not being able to walk a straight line, AND WON...they just never have been there themselves or seen players who did it. Those guys were the real true warriors! Freedom of choice instead of trying to sterilize the players and game. Maybe the official way of dressing will eventually be in ballet garb.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is "why"? Because it gives a player the edge to play better against another player? Maybe but not necessarily.
I'd rather see pool stay the way it was years ago "back in the day". If anyone thinks there's an edge with a lot of booze or other drugs in the system while playing pool, seeing double, slurred speech, not being able to walk a straight line, AND WON...they just never have been there themselves or seen players who did it. Those guys were the real true warriors! Freedom of choice instead of trying to sterilize the players and game. Maybe the official way of dressing will eventually be in ballet garb.
Not sure if you are saying dudes sky high can or can't play perfect pool for a loooooong time...but they can.

If tou don't know they can, i wonder what you think you've been reading all these years when they talk about having to 'wait three days to play' the guy.

Plenty of wasted to be had without the negative physical consequences you referenced.