SVB vs Chang Update Thread

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Pagulayan is Filipino as well. The same people who say that he's not because he's a Canadian also don't seem to get it.
It should be noted there are of plenty of Filipino players who grew up and played in Toronto, it is only because they play well below Alex's speed we still refer to them as Filipino and not Canadian. :)

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It should be noted there are of plenty of Filipino players who grew up and played in Toronto, it is only because they play well below Alex's speed we still refer to the as Filipino and not Canadian. :)
Actually they're both Canadian and Filipino. Filipino can be both a nationality and an ethnicity. Some countries can be both. Some are not.

Jaden

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because you don't seem to understand that someone's ethnicity doesn't change just because they're not "from that country." Karen Corr is from Northern Ireland, a separate country from Ireland. Yet, people from Northern Ireland are.... Irish. Karen' Corr's nickname is "The Irish Invader," not "The Northern Irish Invader." People from Taiwan are Chinese. They are from Taiwan, not from China, but that doesn't make their ethnicity something other than Chinese (other than the minority that are not of Chinese heritage).
Correct. Chinese is term that can mean nationality or ethnicity. Just like Italian can mean nationality or ethnicity. :D

something_pool

Registered
Because you don't seem to understand that someone's ethnicity doesn't change just because they're not "from that country." Karen Corr is from Northern Ireland, a separate country from Ireland. Yet, people from Northern Ireland are.... Irish. Karen' Corr's nickname is "The Irish Invader," not "The Northern Irish Invader." People from Taiwan are Chinese. They are from Taiwan, not from China, but that doesn't make their ethnicity something other than Chinese (other than the minority that are not of Chinese heritage).
I really don't have interest in arguing about this all night. I'll just say that the situation you're describing (people saying Alex P is not Canadian because he's Filipino) really has nothing to do with what we're talking about. In Alex's case, he immigrated to Canada from the Philippines, and I'm sure he considers himself both Filipino and Canadian. There isn't any tension between Canada and the Philippines. The same isn't true with Taiwan/China. Again, Taiwan isn't a monolith, but many Taiwanese don't consider themselves Chinese, and so to say that "people from Taiwan are Chinese" is disregarding how a lot of people self-identify.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you served in the military during Vietnam, but never went to Vietnam?
Then you are an old bastard. :)

The more common usage distinguishes between those who served "in country" and those who did not serve in Vietnam by referring to the "in country" veterans as "Vietnam veterans" and the others as "Vietnam-era veterans". The U.S. government officially refers to all as "Vietnam-era veterans".

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang 121-124 and breaking

The recurring story of this loooonnng match
Shane not breaking as good as Chang -more dry breaks and scratches, not getting good shot at 1.
Chang making lots of uncharacteristic misses/errors. But also making number of awesome outs.
The winner could win with big margin if he straighten out his breaking+misses/errors first. Or it could be another slow slow slugfest again in final 15 to 20 racks and they play until Christmas
There are more momentum swings in this match than Kim K’s outfit changes :ROFLMAO:

talk-show.gif

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even if they officially won/lost on an 8.5 game spread? IMO, that bet was done the minute Chang dropped his 112th 10 ball.
Good point. This will come down to the integrity of the people involved who made bets using that point "spread."
There on a slippery slope if they refuse to pay off after giving up eight and half games to Change. That bet should be over!

Side betting on pool has always been a risky proposition as long as I've been around. It opens up the opportunity to "cut up" the rail.
I've seen that exact thing done by two experts, and in a match that went back and forth for hours they both ended up making a nice score.
Not that this is the case here, far from it, but look at the can of worms they've opened up by not finishing the match last night.

A long enough match imo would be two out of three Races to Twenty one, or three out of five Races to Eleven.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually they're both Canadian and Filipino. Filipino can be both a nationality and an ethnicity. Some countries can be both. Some are not.

Jaden
Technically everyone who hails from Canada, the USA and Mexico are North Americans, so we could say they are Americans right. :LOL:
This could get confusing. I'm from Ohio and I live in Los Angeles. So I'm an Ohioan, an Angeleno, a Californian and American! Now I'm really confused what to say when someone asks me where I'm from. I guess I'll use my old standby, "I'm from planet Earth," or just, "I'm an Earthling!"