• Open After Break

Votes: 100 48.8%
  • Take What You make

Votes: 105 51.2%

• Total voters

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Another good poll would be how many out of the 125 voters are actually going to buy the PPV? 20%, 30%, 10%. Johnnyt

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another good poll would be how many out of the 125 voters are actually going to buy the PPV? 20%, 30%, 10%. Johnnyt

That's a damned good question. I mean if the PPV rules are going to be based on this poll, then those who affected the vote better watch it.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a simple solution.

Just allow one push after the break.

That would be too easy to give someone a free shot....

Use some skill and make a certain ball in the rack and leave the cueball in the middle of the table like a pro is supposed to do.

I am all Inn for this.:smile:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Most of the time the rule won't matter. There will usually be a shot on either group.

But it seems like the few times make it take it comes into play, the breaker simply gets shafted.
He's looking at Mission Impossible and has to open with a kick or something.

I can see where it'll be more entertaining for the spectators, I just hate to see a few random rolls
possibly wreck the outcome. I guess it's fine if the players themselves like it that way.

Since I've seen what a "Runout fest" looks like, now I'm curious to see if make it take it
leads to fascinating new safety battles and kicking and other entertaining stuff.
So I'm gonna switch my vote from last year and go with Take What You Make.

I still feel it's a little unfair and adds more luck to the game, but the race is long enough
that the better player should still win.

Last edited:

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in favor of taking what you make. This is the way we played in the old days and it adds some luck, strategy, and big shots to the game.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
That's a damned good question. I mean if the PPV rules are going to be based on this poll, then those who affected the vote better watch it.

I agree. Maybe more than %30 of the voter will buy the ppv, but probably not much more. Definitely not %100. I for one will be buying all 3 days.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take Open after break.
Last thing we need is players who cannot count with their eyes fidgetting, looking into pockets and taking out pocketed balls to see colors etc all of which is too distracting :thumbup:

Variations ?
-Non-breaking player choose the color for the breaker if balls are pocketed after the break
-Shoot 1 to 15. I mean why have numbered balls if you are not shooting in sequence. Might as well just use 2 color balls (like yellow and red in Birtish 8 ball)
-Alternate shots. Even when balls are pocketed, the shooter sits down and other player comes to table. Will really test their pot cum safety game
-Loser breaks instead of winner breaks. The loser breaks but next shot will be the winner's. That certain number of balls passing headstring applies
:thumbup:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should just make it that you are whatever you make the most of. That way making 2 stripes and 1 solid still makes you take stripes. Take what you make, to the extrememe. This isn't a tourney. This is an exhibition of two pros, this is isn't a gaffe rule. They will be fine.
I can remember playing like this years ago. Take what you make and if you make more of stripes or solids, that's what ya got.

Culinarytracker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should just make it that you are whatever you make the most of. That way making 2 stripes and 1 solid still makes you take stripes. Take what you make, to the extrememe. This isn't a tourney. This is an exhibition of two pros, this is isn't a gaffe rule. They will be fine.

I would agree with this. The point of take what you make in this setting would be to change up the dynamics after the break, so let it happen.

RunOut Apps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open Break. Does not matter what ball you drop, (other than the 8 ball of course) You can shoot at stripes or solids as long as you pot a ball on the break. This will also make it very easy for us to track the match on Scorekeeper 2.0 and report on the players skill level in real time. Simply put...The most important shot of the game is the break. Why have rules that penalize the breaking player for completing the break shot. If he is successful and makes one ball on the break?...why should he be restricted to shooting only half the balls the next shot. Thank You again Justin. TAR is awesome!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Just havin' a LiTTle Fun....with the herd.

Since we've have this poll, then I MUST ''assume'' both players either didn't care/didn't ask/are getting paid too much ;) think they can't lose or????. There's obviously more on the line here than YOUR Normal TarPiTTTTTTTT.

But....these 2 are NOT American players. If they were ;)....Do you think the rules would of Had to been put in place before their Match Date was set :grin:

And what are the odds that if they were First Given a Date, Mark Griffin would of HAD to reschedule ;) 20/1??

Would it be....they couldn't come to a quick rules/decision because of their $takeHor$e.:rolleyes:

Just spent four Xmas days with Fam, so Right Now, I'm in a good mood.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Corey's thinking on this, from the podcast in 2012: take what you make results in more challenging patterns for pros.

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poll seems to be neck and neck. I love watching the run outs but voted take what you make just to see something different(but really want to see open rules).

How about take what you make until someone hits 15, then rest of game is open. That way everyone wins and it will help to determine which way to go going forward?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I agree with Corey's thinking on this, from the podcast in 2012: take what you make results in more challenging patterns for pros.

Corey got cut off in that statement. What he really wanted was take what you make, last pocket, alternating odd and even shots 8-ball. It would result in more challenging patterns for the pros.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:poke:

For the people who voted make it open after the break...do you also think it's okay to shoot a high into a low to make a legal shot?

This is way too easy for not just pro player but amateur too.

I do have an idea for all the unemployed professional players that are broke.
I think they should be allowed to play in amateur tournaments too but they need to win twice as many racks as an amateur.

On a barbox, this would make it fair for both players.:smile:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:poke:

For the people who voted make it open after the break...do you also think it's okay to shoot a high into a low to make a legal shot?

This is way too easy for not just pro player but amateur too.

I do have an idea for all the unemployed professional players that are broke.
I think they should be allowed to play in amateur tournaments too but they need to win twice as many racks as an amateur.

On a barbox, this would make it fair for both players.:smile:

Lol
Then they would cry that they were not a pro. And are being unfairly treated.