The cue you wish you had back

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh God, there's a few.

I've owned probably more than 40 cues over the years. Sold or traded or given away most of them now. The first one I wish I had back was my old Meucci Larry Hubbart-2; my first Meucci. I was delivering pizza back then; saved up my money for more than a month to buy that cue. Some POS stole it about 15 years ago.

Another old Meucci, my third cue, a David Howard-2, maybe the best shooter I ever owned. Sold it when I was having money problems. Sometimes I dream about getting that cue back.

The last one has a happy ending. I sold my Meucci Hi-Pro-3 to a buddy to finance another cue (Pechauer custom). That cue actually came from the factory with a triple shot of fairy dust; she was flat-out magical. At that time I was gambling a few times every week, playing at least 3 tournaments a week, and making some money. Kind of my heyday, if you will. I bought and sold more than two dozen sticks, including that Pechauer, a Dave Albrecht Brazillian Rosewood/honey maple custom, a few Joss, a Predator, a Schon, an Adams Balabushka, etc. Some were pretty good shooters, some were just okay.

Not one played like that HP-3.

Then a month after my dad passed a little over a year ago, I ran into the guy I sold it to. We got to talking and shot a few games, and being the great guy that he is, he offered to sell it back to me for exactly what I sold it to him for, in spite of the fact that he'd had about $250 in refurbishing done to it.

I played that stick for the first time again six months ago. And the magic is still in that thing. I've won four tournaments, including one last night. Never going to sell that thing again.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Schon STL-1, natural stain, perfect birds-eye figuring, smaller than normal checkered rings with little pieces of DuPont Corian artificial stones, white wrap with light green specks.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
In 74, I bought a Rambow, in 100% PERFECT condition from a guy in the room who had no idea what he had. I kept it for a bit over a year and for reasons I can't even *begin* to explain or even understand, I sold it back to the same guy. Worst pool-related mistake I ever made, hands down and, one of the worst mistakes I ever made, period. No cue I ever had before or since hit balls as solidly as that Rambow. **MAN**, I wish I still had it.

Around 76, I bought a brand new Joss at a tournament. Gorgeous cue, solid as a rock. Loved it. Had it @ a month and someone stole it out of my car. To replace it, I bought a new Tillis directly from Rocky at another tournament. That one got stolen as well but the pool gods let me have it for a bit over a year.

Man I wish I still had that Rambow...

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compared to some of these cues it was nothing real special but it was the first stick I purchased with my own tournament winnings.

It was the Meucci cue that had the poker cards and dice at the bottom. I really did love that stick and thought it shot real well.

I was on my way to the 88 U.S. Open when I was hit by my first drunk driver. I hurt my back and left arm. I was in a good amount of pain for about a year. In that time, I sold my stick, table etc...because I was so pissed I couldn't play.

I don't remember anything about who it was sold to.

I wish I had it back

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The one that walked, in the pool room in 1974 at Bowl Mor Bowling lanes in Colorado Springs, after busting Danny Arguellos' backer. They left town the next day.
It had a screw on ferrule (brass fittings), played lights out felt like the right tool at the right time. Irish linen wrap four point, light butt plate. Never did own it long enough to remember where it came from, just got a good deal was all.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one cue that I missed out on. A purchase was agreed to but the cue was loaded with ivory.
The deal had priced right. But the cue’s was in Germany and bringing it stateside was a challenge.
The seller, a really great guy, was worried about getting it into the USA due to the ivory ban. It was
the prettiest EP cue weighing 18.5 ozs. It was the perfect cue for me.....Ed made two of these cues
and the mate was already here in the USA and wasn’t for sale. The cue overseas ultimately found its
way stateside and last time I checked, it was owned by someone in Kansas City. It’s a gorgeous cue.

MattB.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cue collector, but there are several cues I wish I had kept for various reasons.

A Zimmerman (Tex Zimmerman, partner in the main supply store in San Francisco), ivory joint and butt plate, birdseye maple, brown leather wrap. It was my first custom cue and cost $65 with two shafts (1966).

A Mali that was a custom prototype when they were first getting into the cue making business. As I recall it was made in Connecticut. Rosewood merry widow. It was Fred Mali who put me in touch with:

Balabushka with two shafts. I sold it for $150 (1975) and ordered a slightly heavier and fancier version for $175. I obviously should have kept it.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nemic Deano cue

I sold it and donated the proceeds to a fella with health issues

i wish I still had the cue
I never played anywhere near as good as i did with it

john nemic made me several cues,i liked them all.
i wish i had kept several of them,he is a very great cue maker

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the late 1970's, Jim Rempe sold me an Adams that he'd competed with and gave me a good price on it. I loved that cue but it was stolen in about 1997.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
In the late 1970's, Jim Rempe sold me an Adams that he'd competed with and gave me a good price on it. I loved that cue but it was stolen in about 1997.

Stu - Somewhere there's a Museum of Stolen Cues. But there's no admittance, so no one can ever say "Heeeyyyyyyyyyyy, waitaminute!... That's my Joss!!!" :yeah:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sold this on ebay back in about 2005. I'd love to have it back!!! Prather custom, 2000.

picture.php

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't much to look at, but my first reasonably nice cue was a Lambros sneaky pete I bought from a gentleman on here for a heckuva good price. It's still in the top 3 of best hitting cues I ever owned. As pool players do, I sold it like an asshole for some quick cash. The gentleman whom I sold it to, one Hidy Ho, lives overseas and I'll probably never see it again.

But like cuesblues said, not really too big a deal. Out of sight, out of mind.

billinboston

Registered
Cues

Bought a Tim Scruggs cue with 2 shafts in 1994
For 600.... sold 2 years later for 800
Great hitting cue. Would love it back

Last edited:

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Some time in the mid 90's when Danny Harriman was running around the midwest gambling with everyone he came through my area and needed some cash. I traded him some money and a plain SW for a 1of2 ever made Joss East cue made for Mike Sigel. Bunch of ivory floating points and the trademark fishing hooks. Sent it to Dane Janes for confirmation, new ivory butt cap and extra shaft. Back then he said it was worth 3/4k. About a week after I get it back, I make a quick stop at a bar to check on something with a buddy of mine and the owner of the bar has the bouncer look in my car window to see if I brought a cue with. He breaks in and takes the case. Then he comes up to me and tells me he just saw someone break in and take off. Obviously should never have left it in the car knowing the bar owner wanted that cue pretty badly when he saw Danny playing with it. The bouncer came clean several years later to my friend about it. Danny came back through about 6 months later and wanted to buy it back. Said it was one of the first cues he ever won gambling. I felt bad telling him the story of it's demise.:( Needless to say I hope that bar owner burns in pool cue thievery hell........