The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Fan Films and low budget productions can be effective in cult communities.

Now that pool pros have their own camera crews, your imagination is the limit.

An underground pool club of uber wealthy people campaigning to make pool for everyone. Along the way they encounter isolationists and exclusion zones.

The movie takes a twist when a global virus changes the world. Then the movie becomes night of the living dead billiards edition.

justnum

Silver Member
That pic of Kelly McGillis reminds me of every time I go to lookup one of my cute high school crushes on Facebook.

Meg Ryan was hotter than Kelly McGillis because of the singing piano scene.

A young Brooklyn hasidic Jew sneaks into pool rooms at night and discovers that he's a pool prodigy. He's shunned by both the hasidic and mainstream communities and becomes an outcast that doesn't fit in anywhere. An old seasoned, but disgraced, pro sitting in the corner of a pool room notices him and takes him under his wing. Their unlikely relationship takes them both on an international journey of triumph, loss, redemption, and self discovery.
Make him Amish and get the Farrely Bros to direct and ya got something.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's find out.... Here's the question asked and output from ChatGPT:

Me:
Write a summary of a good sequel to The Color Of Money movie from 1986, but set in the modern day.

ChatGPT:
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" would be an intriguing sequel to the 1986 classic, set in the modern day. The film would follow the life of Vincent Lauria (originally played by Tom Cruise), now an established and seasoned pool player, much like Paul Newman's character, Fast Eddie Felson, in the original movie.
Twenty years after the events of the first film, Vincent is at the peak of his game but faces new challenges in the digital age. The pool scene has evolved, with online streaming, high-stakes international tournaments, and a new generation of tech-savvy players bringing fresh dynamics to the sport.
Vincent, while still a master of the game, struggles to adapt to these changes. He finds himself at odds with the new ways, yearning for the old-school hustle and raw talent of the game. This conflict is personified by a new character, a young, charismatic, and incredibly skilled player who is as much a whiz with social media and self-promotion as he is with a pool cue.
The heart of the story is Vincent's journey to understand and adapt to this new world of pool. Along the way, he confronts his past, including unresolved issues following the departure of his mentor, Fast Eddie. Vincent's introspection leads him to mentor a young player, mirroring his own relationship with Eddie.
The climax of the film is set at a major international pool tournament, where Vincent must face both the young prodigy and his inner demons. The tournament is live-streamed globally, showcasing the modern spectacle pool has become.
The film ends with Vincent realizing that while the game's presentation may have changed, the essence of pool — the skill, the psychology, and the thrill — remains timeless. He embraces the new era, finding a balance between the old and new, and passing on his wisdom to the next generation.
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" pays homage to the original while exploring how the digital age has transformed traditional sports and the challenges faced by the old guard in adapting to this new world.
Not a bad premise for a new revival.
I admit to being an equal fan of The Hustler, and The Color of Money.
What stands out to me, was that each was a product of their time.
That leads me to this idea. When those movies were made, league play was not an integral part of the pool scene, like it is now. It would start with a team captain struggling at the end of a session and ultimately losing to a team of sandbaggers. It could have plenty of material available on keeping a team together, losing players due to other commitments or because of ranks increasing and the recruiting of new players. Plenty of opportunities for romance between players, lots of personalities, and a march to Las Vegas, on the back of an old worn out pro who still wants to play but this is all that is left to him.
I look at it from the point of view of someone who would invest in producing it based on the fact that that would be a guaranteed audience built in to it through all the league players, and if done well could draw universally. It would also be a big promotion for getting even more people into league play.
I doubt this will be popular here as an idea, so flame away.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Make him Amish and get the Farrely Bros to direct and ya got something.
Hmm I think you’re on to something

IMG_1804.jpeg

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler used pool as a vehicle but was not about pool. One of the darkest movies made at that time. The undercurrent was meant to be dark as shit. And it was but this part was so well blended in with the pool it takes a couple views to get just how tragic the whole thing is.
YMMV. If I want to see a tragic love story with a dark undercurrent, there are hundreds of movies that do a better job of it than The Hustler. Eddie Muller shows one every Sunday on TCM's Noir Alley.

Don't get me wrong, I liked The Hustler well enough, especially Gleason. And the atmosphere at Ames was good enough for a 1961 setting. But for me the allure of pool and pool halls is the infinite supply of "characters", and in The Hustler those were few and far between, outside of the two leads and George C. Scott. Whereas The Color of Money was loaded with them, from Earthquake to Whitaker to Turturro to Cruise himself and cameos from real players. Of course the actual pool scenes were a joke, since none of the professional actors could run a rack in a hundred tries, but then in The Hustler only Gleason had any real pool skills.

I will grant The Hustler one big advantage: The black and white film evokes the pool scene much better than color.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just happened to watch the hustler for the first time in a decade last night. What an amazing movie. Not just the pool but the acting and story Are incredible.

Color of money.. still love it. It’s 80s cheese yes but I still love the acting and story.

Pool hall junkies while fun is a cheesy as hell lol Thank god for christopher walken. It’s like watching fast and furious . You watch it because you like cars but don’t get annoyed by the details. It’s not a documentary. It’s an over the top action movie. Thats pool hall junkies lol

they are all still on my wall though lol

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 32

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
If they did a pool sequel....I would love to see a different approach......Instead of the stereotyped hustling dark underworld....or a re-hash of previous movies.....I would love to see a movie about pool that comes off similar to the movie Money Ball........Something (or someone) that came along and "changed the game" out of no-where.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they did a pool sequel....I would love to see a different approach......Instead of the stereotyped hustling dark underworld....or a re-hash of previous movies.....I would love to see a movie about pool that comes off similar to the movie Money Ball........Something (or someone) that came along and "changed the game" out of no-where.
Matchroom?

Tadaimarlon

Got nothing to do with age, Hustler is just a better movie all-around. TCOM was ok but could have been a lot better.
That's subjective. I liked Eddie in The color of money much better than Eddie in The hustler, for me a much better character.

Most people who don't like The color of money say it's because of Tom Cruise and how he plays the Vince character, but for me it feels the same with The hustler and Eddie. Eddie is an alcoholic loser who can play a little pool. In the end I like both films, but my personal favorite is The color of money, a 60 year old Paul Newman is just incredibly cool.

L.S. Dennis

That's subjective. I liked Eddie in The color of money much better than Eddie in The hustler, for me a much better character.

Most people who don't like The color of money say it's because of Tom Cruise and how he plays the Vince character, but for me it feels the same with The hustler and Eddie. Eddie is an alcoholic loser who can play a little pool. In the end I like both films, but my personal favorite is The color of money, a 60 year old Paul Newman is just incredibly cool.
Well I guess why they make chocolate and vanilla, everyone has their own taste in things. For me Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felson in the 1961 film The Hustler, got robbed that year in the Academy Awards for not getting best actor. That was the year that West Side Story did so well in the awards ceremony.

Junction

Registered

Yep. Character develops over time. Vincent was young and stupid, much like Eddie was when he was younger. Vincent would have now had decades of experience and his return with a Balabushka under his arm would be an epic redemption in the final chapter of this trilogy.

justnum

Silver Member
Yep. Character develops over time. Vincent was young and stupid, much like Eddie was when he was younger. Vincent would have now had decades of experience and his return with a Balabushka under his arm would be an epic redemption in the final chapter of this trilogy.

Vince never had character growth. TCOM Vince is the same at the start as at the end, over ambitious highly skilled but uneducated.

Eddie was character growth every scene.

Junction

Registered
Vince never had character growth. TCOM Vince is the same at the start as at the end, over ambitious highly skilled but uneducated.

Eddie was character growth every scene.

The color of money was clearly set up for an immediate sequel, with so many things incomplete at the end and discussions of upcoming tournaments and Eddie being back in the game. But that movie was never made.

Top Gun and TCOM were both released in '86. Top Gun absolutely exploded and overshadowed TCOM. Then in the same year, 1988 he had 3 movies released: Rainman, Cocktail and Young Guns. He obviously had bigger offers that he accepted.

Regardless, I'm talking about Vincent's character 38 years later which could be anything at this point. I can tell you I'm definitely not the same person I was in 1986.

justnum

Silver Member
The color of money was clearly set up for an immediate sequel, with so many things incomplete at the end and discussions of upcoming tournaments and Eddie being back in the game. But that movie was never made.

Top Gun and TCOM were both released in '86. Top Gun absolutely exploded and overshadowed TCOM. Then in the same year, 1988 he had 3 movies released: Rainman, Cocktail and Young Guns. He obviously had bigger offers that he accepted.

Regardless, I'm talking about Vincent's character 38 years later which could be anything at this point. I can tell you I'm definitely not the same person I was in 1986.

I know several people that still live in the 60s 70s and 80s so its a normal distribution.
Let's celebrate it in pool. The world is user generated not privately broadcasted.

There are enough personalities the pool room could be used for skits. Steinway billiards invited comedians before they closed down. Billiards is a historic assembly area.

I am from the nerd billiard group. What ideas do you want to broadcast?

Bill and Teds Excellent Billiard Adventure some variety show then make the movie.
Emily can't finance it, but people can sponsor the film with her character in mind.
Female led projects are go for green in this era.
The Allison Fisher movie will be huge. Write a screenplay for her.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Let's face it, any pool movie done by hollyweird today would be as politically "woke" as the others being made. If I want political opinion I can tune in CNN... I don't need that bias inserted into entertainment.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've allready aired my idea for a pool movie, a gritty tale about the life of Earl Strickland, played by a character actor and with some slight exaggerations and embellishments I think it would make a great movie. Even if he is found to be an unsuitable subject, I think a modern pool movie would need to be a study of a complex character who goes through a journey, played by a strong actor. Approaching it from the pool angle is just doomed to fail, like Pool hall junkies proved. It wouldn't have to be set in the past, but I think a movie could be helped by that. The 70's would be a good era I think. Not too dificult and expensive, yet exotic enough to be interesting. It wouldn't have to be violent or gloomy, but I think a slight edge to it would make it pop a bit. I have a story in mind, but I'm a bit stuck on the antagonist. It's hard to make a believable antagonist in a pool movie, without ending up with a cliche.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you haven’t seen the pool movie starring
johnny cash and june c cash, you’re missing
out

every scene is about pool, from the opening
to the ending