The Hustlers Week 3: Episode 5 Thread

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that is what happens when matches are edited for time. There are inconsistencies and continuity errors. In a past thread, we learned from those that were there, the match between Emily and Amy had to be edited since it took two hours to play. Some here thought it was set up because of run outs being shown.

It's all in the editing, but the matches and results are without a doubt real

,, so thier using thier own money then ,,,

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha :rolleyes::

Got who? Are you implying the matches are fake with fake outcomes because the production company tosses in a grand?

Next, I'm sure you will say the production company had cameras in the pool hall and gave a ride to one of the players to said pool hall, so it has to be fake?

It is a production, so yes of course there are planning involved. The outcomes and competition is all real. We've already had this verified by Mikey frost and others on set.

It's up to you to come up with witness/verification that the production company made sure one player won over another.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got who? Are you implying the matches are fake with fake outcomes because the production company tosses in a grand?

Next, I'm sure you will say the production company had cameras in the pool hall and gave a ride to one of the players to said pool hall, so it has to be fake?

It is a production, so yes of course there are planning involved. The outcomes and competition is all real. We've already had this verified by Mikey frost and others on set.

It's up to you to come up with witness/verification that the production company made sure one player won over another.

No What we have here is s failure to communicate , I asked you are they putting thier own cash up , your reply was they keep the money they win so yes
So just to clarify are they putting thier own money up or not

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
No What we have here is s failure to communicate , I asked you are they putting thier own cash up , your reply was they keep the money they win so yes
So just to clarify are they putting thier own money up or not

I'll answer your question. Hell to the nooooo we don't put up our own money. We were paid with checks. Income reported to the IRS. Everything was done legally. I do get a kick out of you hammering this point though as I assure you there was no lack of motivation to win. Also no one is chopping money cause of the fact there are tax implications and let's face it...we all ain't in the same tax bracket haha.

I can neither confirm nor deny though that there were some extremely large side bets that may or may not have taken place on and during a lot of these matches. Maybe even it is quite possible that sometimes people literally played for CHECKS. I'm not saying this did happen though. Let's just say there was a lot of action on and off camera that simply can't be discussed in a public forum.

TruTV is a good stake horse though bud. Whatever helps you discredit the show feel free to ask and I'll get you all the correct information you need so you can stop being so happy you know some secret that isn't a secret!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll answer your question. Hell to the nooooo we don't put up our own money. We were paid with checks. Income reported to the IRS. Everything was done legally. I do get a kick out of you hammering this point though as I assure you there was no lack of motivation to win. Also no one is chopping money cause of the fact there are tax implications and let's face it...we all ain't in the same tax bracket haha.

I can neither confirm nor deny though that there were some extremely large side bets that may or may not have taken place on and during a lot of these matches. Maybe even it is quite possible that sometimes people literally played for CHECKS. I'm not saying this did happen though. Let's just say there was a lot of action on and off camera that simply can't be discussed in a public forum.

TruTV is a good stake horse though bud. Whatever helps you discredit the show feel free to ask and I'll get you all the correct information you need so you can stop being so happy you know some secret that isn't a secret!

I'm rewatching episode 5 now and I was just thinking that-TruTV is like a giant stakehorse and you folks are all on for the ride.

Awesome work on the show. It just gets better and better with every episode.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know, is the whole show just based on that one table? I have finally been able to see 5 eps and feel like it was just all one long take given in parts. since this is like a huge ring game in a few weeks would we have pretty much seen everyone play and then they start fishing for material? I wish the show all the best as far as grabbing the public but honestly I don't see when the attraction is going to come from.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know you crack me up , dont worry I won't shoot you after you attack me , but if you think playing with free money is the same as putting up your rent money , well all I can say is we obviously live on a very different planet ,
It was a question on the heels of a response saying it's all real , news flash it's not all real if thier playing with house money

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know you crack me up , dont worry I won't shoot you after you attack me , but if you think playing with free money is the same as putting up your rent money , well all I can say is we obviously live on a very different planet ,
It was a question on the heels of a response saying it's all real , news flash it's not all real if thier playing with house money

I think it was obvious when you saw some of the shots being taken in some of those high stakes single set matches. That's why I personally can't see where the public draw is going to come from when there are no small money games, everyone is playing for big money and the average joe is not going to want to much less have $500 to just piss away when they know that they don't play well.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are the ratings?

I've tried to find info online, but can't seem to get any info yet. Are there any returns on viewership that has been released yet?

Seems a reality show that is deemed a hit is getting 1 million viewers. But those are established shows.

Any guesses on what a show needs to garner by the end of the first season for the network to say "let's try another season"?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no matches are altered no shots are changed,edited for time yes but what you think is a bank scotty make cut in the side

You are gonna have to provide some substance for that claim to be seriously considered, IMO.

I have noticed quite a few instances where the player shot a ball in the hole and there were inconsistencies, like the ball was shot to a corner pocket, but the closeup is of it dropping is into the side...or there are other balls near the pocket that aren't there when the camera angle changes.

But it doesn't make the show bad...it is no more fantasy than the list being the best 5 at stineway.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was obvious when you saw some of the shots being taken in some of those high stakes single set matches. That's why I personally can't see where the public draw is going to come from when there are no small money games, everyone is playing for big money and the average joe is not going to want to much less have $500 to just piss away when they know that they don't play well.

A very good point, I do believe.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think the end product would be measurably different if they were playing for their own money. What do you thing would come across differently?

Well, I guess they would lop a 0 off all bets...

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I've tried to find info online, but can't seem to get any info yet. Are there any returns on viewership that has been released yet?

Seems a reality show that is deemed a hit is getting 1 million viewers. But those are established shows.

Any guesses on what a show needs to garner by the end of the first season for the network to say "let's try another season"?
I haven't seen anything formal, but for a show on a network like TruTV on a Friday night the bar for ratings is probably pretty low. That's not a bad thing. It gives a show like The Hustlers a good opportunity to outperform expectations and bring in new viewers. I always check twitter every week and I see more and more people tweeting about it, non-pool players even.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the end product would be measurably different if they were playing for their own money. What do you thing would come across differently?

Well, I guess they would lop a 0 off all bets...

They would not be giving up all that weight so easily and betting those amounts. Does that crew look like people who bet $2000 a set? Playing for free money you are going to play differently then for your own money.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My wife doesn't play but always heard my stories. She actually enjoys the show to a certain extent, mainly for the characters. Even though we know it's not reality, the show does somewhat simulate what goes on in a pool room, at least on the lighter side. I think it was good from a viewer perspective that they included an equal number of women in the cast.

I would say the interrelationships and competition is what makes this show interesting to both pool players and non players. Having Mike Descahine in there is a big plus, but maybe "teddy bear" would have been a less derogatory nickname than "big head".

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife doesn't play but always heard my stories. She actually enjoys the show to a certain extent, mainly for the characters. Even though we know it's not reality, the show does somewhat simulate what goes on in a pool room, at least on the lighter side. I think it was good from a viewer perspective that they included an equal number of women in the cast.

I would say the interrelationships and competition is what makes this show interesting to both pool players and non players. Having Mike Descahine in there is a big plus, but maybe "teddy bear" would have been a less derogatory nickname than "big head".

It can be realistic from that point of view. A real pool room is like a large dysfunctional family. In fact you will often spend, I am sorry to say, more time with them then with your real family.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
You are gonna have to provide some substance for that claim to be seriously considered, IMO.

I have noticed quite a few instances where the player shot a ball in the hole and there were inconsistencies, like the ball was shot to a corner pocket, but the closeup is of it dropping is into the side...or there are other balls near the pocket that aren't there when the camera angle changes.

But it doesn't make the show bad...it is no more fantasy than the list being the best 5 at stineway.

Maybe cause he played a match that is how he knows...the people who don't know and are guessing are the ones who didn't get an invite to come play. Nobody pumping lies...the truth is the truth. They're turning 2 and 3 hours sets into 3 minutes of TV...you're not gonna get every shot.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe cause he played a match that is how he knows...the people who don't know and are guessing are the ones who didn't get an invite to come play. Nobody pumping lies...the truth is the truth. They're turning 2 and 3 hours sets into 3 minutes of TV...you're not gonna get every shot.

No but what you do get should be properly edited ,, I don't think anyone is guesing it's not hard to figure out what's real or not real ,, for instance we know nobody playing with 2k of thier own rent money is not randomly firing hit n hope shots