The Hustlers Week 3: Episode 5 Thread

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
No but what you do get should be properly edited ,, I don't think anyone is guesing it's not hard to figure out what's real or not real ,, for instance we know nobody playing with 2k of thier own rent money is not randomly firing hit n hope shots

We all play multiple thousand dollar sets on a regular basis though. We're not strangers to the box. I know what you mean the bets are high but they're only gonna get higher and higher....might even see something for $20k coming up in the near future and wait until you see how that goes

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all play multiple thousand dollar sets on a regular basis though. We're not strangers to the box. I know what you mean the bets are high but they're only gonna get higher and higher....might even see something for $20k coming up in the near future and wait until you see how that goes
Of corse you will see bigger bets no ones playing with thier own money

Multiple thousand dollar sets on a regular basis ,, no wonder MD is moving in ,there's even more free money off camera ,, what a place

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
They should make Smiley a villain ... have her give Dechaine a sh*t mickey right before they play.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are gonna have to provide some substance for that claim to be seriously considered, IMO.

I have noticed quite a few instances where the player shot a ball in the hole and there were inconsistencies, like the ball was shot to a corner pocket, but the closeup is of it dropping is into the side...or there are other balls near the pocket that aren't there when the camera angle changes.

But it doesn't make the show bad...it is no more fantasy than the list being the best 5 at stineway.

Emily playing Mike. She shoots a kick combo bank on the one nine. Something doesn't look quite right.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of corse you will see bigger bets no ones playing with thier own money

Multiple thousand dollar sets on a regular basis ,, no wonder MD is moving in ,there's even more free money off camera ,, what a place

So when a player gets a backer who pays their entry free to a tournament, along with the side action with the backers cash, then according to your rationale, that player is not really playing. But when the player wins the tournament and gets his share of the winnings, then it's also fake?

That's exactly what's happening on the show. The backer is TruTV, the players play for real and keep the winnings.

All the play is real. Mikey pretty much clarified that right up.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are gonna have to provide some substance for that claim to be seriously considered, IMO.

I have noticed quite a few instances where the player shot a ball in the hole and there were inconsistencies, like the ball was shot to a corner pocket, but the closeup is of it dropping is into the side...or there are other balls near the pocket that aren't there when the camera angle changes.

But it doesn't make the show bad...it is no more fantasy than the list being the best 5 at stineway.

After the match is over, the production crew will collect pick-up shots-the slo mo shots of balls dropping, cue tip hitting ball and chalk dust everywhere. Those are then edited into the match to glam it up since today's TV is all about jump cuts and visual stimulation. (The production editors have mixed up these shots to show errors at times as you saw, and they will have to clean that up) The matches played and results are still real.

Sure they could go the ESPN/accu stats route with a four camera set-up, and just toggle back and forth between angles. However, that's been proven to be stale in terms of ratings/energy of the presentation.

IMO if they took the entire three hours of ESPN tournament of champions and edited them down into one hour, with the Hustlers format, it would be far more dynamic and adapt to today's audiences. Might just have a pulse in the ratings too.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
What was the room that Finnegan was in when he was practicing with the different broomsticks before he went to Steinway?

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of those things that one in the know is truly going to know, we are all pool players with different time invested, experiences and skill levels, some even "think" they know what goes on just because they have been around a few conversations or maybe seen a half decent money match. I could be blazingly wrong and in this case "the horses mouth" means nothing to me because what else is he going to say, but for my money and watching as an outsider with my own personal experiences in pool there is no way on this earth than anyone can tell me that those are serious matches and that that crew plays $2000 single sets on a regular basis. Fine you get to keep the money but here is the big question... Does the loser get to keep anything? cause i tell you right now... I'll give Shane the 6 out, all the breaks, ball in hand on the break and i'm always on two fouls for any amount of money that someone else wants to back "both of us for" if there is no emotional attachment to me and the backer of course.

As for the shots listen, I don't think anyone in the production team evens knew the rules to 9 ball prior to the show, so i understand that they will use any scene that looks good to them regardless of if it matches up with the current lay of the land.

In the end, i'm glad that there is even a show about pool on TV and that a few people are making money off of it, I accept the show for what it is and it ends there. Personally based on what i see I don't understand how this is suppose to attract people to playing pool but once again this was the hope of the pool community and not that of the host, they just want viewership.

All the best to those involved, be smart with the money that you make from the show. Oh and feel free to match up with me anytime with or without your own money just as long as you guys continue to shoot like that, lol. (just kidding, kind of, not really)

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh what is that place with the red tables where they do the one on ones with the players Mike, or anyone.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
This is one of those things that one in the know is truly going to know, we are all pool players with different time invested, experiences and skill levels, some even "think" they know what goes on just because they have been around a few conversations or maybe seen a half decent money match. I could be blazingly wrong and in this case "the horses mouth" means nothing to me because what else is he going to say, but for my money and watching as an outsider with my own personal experiences in pool there is no way on this earth than anyone can tell me that those are serious matches and that that crew plays $2000 single sets on a regular basis. Fine you get to keep the money but here is the big question... Does the loser get to keep anything? cause i tell you right now... I'll give Shane the 6 out, all the breaks, ball in hand on the break and i'm always on two fouls for any amount of money that someone else wants to back "both of us for" if there is no emotional attachment to me and the backer of course.

As for the shots listen, I don't think anyone in the production team evens knew the rules to 9 ball prior to the show, so i understand that they will use any scene that looks good to them regardless of if it matches up with the current lay of the land.

In the end, i'm glad that there is even a show about pool on TV and that a few people are making money off of it, I accept the show for what it is and it ends there. Personally based on what i see I don't understand how this is suppose to attract people to playing pool but once again this was the hope of the pool community and not that of the host, they just want viewership.

All the best to those involved, be smart with the money that you make from the show. Oh and feel free to match up with me anytime with or without your own money just as long as you guys continue to shoot like that, lol. (just kidding, kind of, not really)
Just remember we're only on TV on a national scale...locally I assure you no one cares about that when they are matching up with us. Hell I got two Guyanese guys following me around like my name is wells Fargo right now all because I beat one of their crew. They bet good too.

oh what is that place with the red tables where they do the one on ones with the players Mike, or anyone.

Just an office space not a pool room. What amazes me is how large it looks on TV. That room is maybe 600 sq. Ft. I'm probably being generous on that.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny, that's exactly what I though. I said, I'll be anything that they just mock that place up. Oh and yea I know those guys like to gamble hard. Hey listen I'm sure it is what it is I mean it's not like the show is being shot in some private studio, it's in plain view of all but from the outside it just all seems a bit hard to swallow for being what it's called it being.

So listen tell us this. Since it was obviously winter then this was shot how many episodes are their? And are you guys still shooting? Does a season plan on being 12 Ep like some or 22-24 like others?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
That's funny, that's exactly what I though. I said, I'll be anything that they just mock that place up. Oh and yea I know those guys like to gamble hard. Hey listen I'm sure it is what it is I mean it's not like the show is being shot in some private studio, it's in plain view of all but from the outside it just all seems a bit hard to swallow for being what it's called it being.

So listen tell us this. Since it was obviously winter then this was shot how many episodes are their? And are you guys still shooting? Does a season plan on being 12 Ep like some or 22-24 like others?

We only have 10 episodes and we're done shooting since beginning of April. There's still a possibility they order some more episodes and if that happens we'll all be back together shortly

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
We only have 10 episodes and we're done shooting since beginning of April. There's still a possibility they order some more episodes and if that happens we'll all be back together shortly

Make sure to steer the powers that be away from the forum or I gaurantee we'll only see 1 season
Good luck

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too late they've already seen a bunch of these comments. The viewers will determine if there will be a Season 2 or not.

Well I watch the show, but if they read the comments, seems the major part is the feeling that everything is staged and that the games they show jump around in shots and ball position so we never know who is actually beating who or what matches were rigged (one shot shows the cueball about to scratch, next shot that person has ball in hand position on the next ball, what?). Plus the list needs to be explained a bit, what is it for? To show who can play who? So if you are 8 you can only match up with 7, then once you are 7 you can play 6?

Emily seems to have gotten better at the game, although due to the editing it's tough to tell, seems many of her games are the ones that jump around in shots. When they showed your games and Dechaine's games they showed the whole game as it was played out.