The ordeal is over for the Mighty Bugs

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
At 6:30 this morning, The Grim Reaper stopped the valiant heart of the mighty Bugs Rucker. No arrangements have been announced yet. Goodby old pal.

the Beard
 
My condolences to his FAMILY and extended circle of friends. Although I had the pleasure of watching him play on several occasions my most memorable was the first time I saw him. It was early, mid 70's when he and his entourage
arrived at a tourney (not sure if it was in OHIO or ST LOUIS) and he was lookin for action.....
 
I never met Bugs, have only watched tapes and what I could find on him to read. But this is a sad time nonetheless because not only has another legend from pooldom passed on, but my heart aches for his friends who really knew and loved him. Grady has always spoken highly of Bugs and we all know how much Freddy went over and beyond for his dear pal. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone in pool who has expressed such a benevolent spirit as Freddy has towards Bugs.

I know these are just words, but they're from my heart...Freddy and Grady, and all of Bugs family and friends, I pray God will Bless all of you with His great Love, Joy and Peace.

And Freddy & Grady, I'll speak for the many fans you both have. Just as you have loved Bugs, please know that you are both loved and revered as well by lots of us. Even though you're not rich, I hope it brings a measure of comfort and solace to your hearts by knowing you're held in high esteem by many of us who also love you dearly.

I hope we can continue to celebrate your lives and what you've both done for our great sport for many years to come. I believe srongly in God and in His ability to minister to us. He is real and knowable, and I promise to hold you up in prayer.

This is a good time for all of us to remember that the clock is also ticking on OUR life as well. Every single one of us will die once. And then what?

We all have choices to make....
 
Rest in Peace, Bugs...my condolences to his family and friends. Freddy...you were a true friend to the end! You did a really good thing with Bugs, and you'll always remember (and be remembered) being such a good friend to a fellow poolplayer in need.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
 
God bless from Kevin

I would like to say good bye from his friend Kevin Spells Kevin always spoke in the highest reguard and gave all his ability to bugs. mark
 
I never had a chance to meet Bugs, but I was in Sioux Falls tonight at a seminar Grady was giving when he got the news. His reaction left no doubt about the love that he had for Bugs. Grady struggled to tell us some stories to honor his friend, understandably having a hard time getting them out. Very sad. My condolences go out to his friends and family.
 
To A Friend

My condolences go to the family ,and all who loved him as much as those that knew him well. I am sorry that I can't go to Chicago to the funeral i'm just to busy and can't possibly get away.I have known Bugs since I was 15 years old, the very first time we played. I didn't know who I was playing and to young and dumb to care.He beat me ,but it was a battle that we both remembered all our lives.We played a countless number of times after and I can honestly say that it was some of the most pressure packed pool that I have ever played.I hold Bugs in high regard,not only as a champion but as a gambler and a gentleman as well.I played a lot of pool in Chicago in the mid 60's thru the 70's,and developed my defensive skills playing players like Arty , Freddy ,and the great Bugs. An experience that I have always treasured , and benefitted from,in many ways. Thanks guys, and to my friend Bugs ,we'll play again.
 
In my pool life, I saw Bugs play in St Louis several times. Most players that you watch, you sit & think to yourself "I can do that or I know what he is about to execute". With Bugs, I just sat there & thought to myself "How the f@$k did he just do that?" And when he did it, he acted like it was nothing special. Just another day in the office. From the minimal time I saw him play, he was both a tremendous player & a tremendous gentleman when he gambled.

Selfishly I say this is a great loss for the pool world.

The DCC should rename the banks tournament - The Bugs Rucker Banks Championship. Or have Eydie do it during her Windy City Open event.
 
Amen brother

Terry Ardeno said:
I never met Bugs, have only watched tapes and what I could find on him to read. But this is a sad time nonetheless because not only has another legend from pooldom passed on, but my heart aches for his friends who really knew and loved him. Grady has always spoken highly of Bugs and we all know how much Freddy went over and beyond for his dear pal. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone in pool who has expressed such a benevolent spirit as Freddy has towards Bugs.

I know these are just words, but they're from my heart...Freddy and Grady, and all of Bugs family and friends, I pray God will Bless all of you with His great Love, Joy and Peace.

And Freddy & Grady, I'll speak for the many fans you both have. Just as you have loved Bugs, please know that you are both loved and revered as well by lots of us. Even though you're not rich, I hope it brings a measure of comfort and solace to your hearts by knowing you're held in high esteem by many of us who also love you dearly.

I hope we can continue to celebrate your lives and what you've both done for our great sport for many years to come. I believe srongly in God and in His ability to minister to us. He is real and knowable, and I promise to hold you up in prayer.

This is a good time for all of us to remember that the clock is also ticking on OUR life as well. Every single one of us will die once. And then what?

We all have choices to make....

Amen brothers.
 
God bless Bugs, and my deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.

JAM
 
To all his family and friends you are in my thoughts. The first time I seen Bugs I was young and thought No one could handicap a pool game as well as me. Bugs came rolling in with about six guys and once he got into action he made everything seem so natural. I got to sweat him four or five times against some legends (Spaeth playing banks, Kid Cole playing 1pkt, and my favorite 1pkt match ever Bugs vs Cornbread Red) Each time he captivated the crowd not with his banter, but with the amazing things he could do on the field of green. I remember when he played Cole after he dismantled one of the straightest shooting son of a guns alive, a crowd gathered on the table trying to figure out how Bugs bent a two rail bank in and held whitey to get out on Cole for the last game. He was what attracted me to pool at such a young age. My grandfather always told me it's not the guys that play for the noteriaty it's the guys that leave with the dough. Well Bugs got the dough more often then not and never belittled anyone, threatened anyone he was the consumate gentleman and "the man" at banking a ball for over 20 years.

RIP champ

Huck
 
The Wake schedule

Visitation for Bugs is set for friday the 16th at Leeks Funeral Home on 79th and Cottage Grove at 7PM. It will be a closed casket, and Bug's remains will be cremated. Billy Incardona and Artie Bodendorfer are going to try and fly in. I have been asked to read a requiem at the service.

the Beard
 
we've lost a pool legend and his family a life legend. now that his suffering is over may he enjoy the life we was was created to live in peace with the Lord.......Chicago pool and pool in general won't be the same without him.
RIP Bugs
 
Rest in peace, Bugs. You touched the lives of thousands and were known by millions. My thoughts are with family and friends.

Will Prout
 
Back
Top