Those Were The Days To Hustle

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Larry, a good friend of mine in the late 1950’s to early 1960’s lost his arm to a boat prop while we were hydroplane racing on one the channels on Long Island. He helped me pull a nice pool hustle many times after the loss of the arm. We would pick nice upscale bars where young white-collar types with money hung out after work. Larry was about a C player playing one handed.

We would go in the bar or club separately and with in an hour we would wind up playing head to head 8-ball for $5 then $10 or $20 a game. Big money in a bar back then. I would act like a real two-bit hustler beating him about every game and trying to get him to play for more a game. I missed shots that anyone that could hold a stick could see I missed on purpose. I never showed more than a weak “B” player.

It wouldn’t take long for a crowd to gather and feel sorry for the guy with only one arm getting hustled by a better player. They would shout out, “Why don’t you play him with one hand?” or “Why don’t you play someone with two arms?” I’d yell at the crowd to mind their own business. It didn’t take long before I’d hear the magic words, “Why don’t you play me for $50 or $100.” We always walked out of these kinds of places with hundreds of dollars between me beating the guy for a few hundred and the rail. That was a real nice score in those days.

One time we went into a place and it started to backfire on us. The railbirds saw Larry couldn’t win and started side betting me. They must have been lawyers or some other thieves like used car salesmen. So we just got them to put up a few hundred on me on a short set and then I dumped. Easy money. Those were the days. Johnnyt
 
Larry, a good friend of mine in the late 1950’s to early 1960’s lost his arm to a boat prop while we were hydroplane racing on one the channels on Long Island. He helped me pull a nice pool hustle many times after the loss of the arm. We would pick nice upscale bars where young white-collar types with money hung out after work. Larry was about a C player playing one handed.

We would go in the bar or club separately and with in an hour we would wind up playing head to head 8-ball for $5 then $10 or $20 a game. Big money in a bar back then. I would act like a real two-bit hustler beating him about every game and trying to get him to play for more a game. I missed shots that anyone that could hold a stick could see I missed on purpose. I never showed more than a weak “B” player.

It wouldn’t take long for a crowd to gather and feel sorry for the guy with only one arm getting hustled by a better player. They would shout out, “Why don’t you play him with one hand?” or “Why don’t you play someone with two arms?” I’d yell at the crowd to mind their own business. It didn’t take long before I’d hear the magic words, “Why don’t you play me for $50 or $100.” We always walked out of these kinds of places with hundreds of dollars between me beating the guy for a few hundred and the rail. That was a real nice score in those days.

One time we went into a place and it started to backfire on us. The railbirds saw Larry couldn’t win and started side betting me. They must have been lawyers or some other thieves like used car salesmen. So we just got them to put up a few hundred on me on a short set and then I dumped. Easy money. Those were the days. Johnnyt

Sorry Johnny....liked your story all the way till the last part where you said you dumped...being a past/present stakehorse that part just don't sit well with me.
 
Sorry Johnny....liked your story all the way till the last part where you said you dumped...being a past/present stakehorse that part just don't sit well with me.

Yeah but he dumped on all the jokers betting on him, not to chop up the stakehorse's roll. They didn't even know the two were together! I think it's beautiful...
 
Sorry Johnny....liked your story all the way till the last part where you said you dumped...being a past/present stakehorse that part just don't sit well with me.

There was no stakehorse involved. Just a bunch of greedy people trying to make money off a handicaped person. I never had a stakehorse in my life, but I have dumped the rail a few times like that. Johnnyt
 
Johnny is Johnny and I think its amazing that he is still alive after the life he has lived. It was probably a mix of lawyers on the rail anyway.
Like a lawyer wouldn't dump on a client, or a game of golf hasn't ever been used to decide the outcome of a trial.

Times are tough, I saw my lawyer walking down the street yesterday and he had his hands in his own pockets.
 
Johnny is Johnny and I think its amazing that he is still alive after the life he has lived. It was probably a mix of lawyers on the rail anyway.
Like a lawyer wouldn't dump on a client, or a game of golf hasn't ever been used to decide the outcome of a trial.

Times are tough, I saw my lawyer walking down the street yesterday and he had his hands in his own pockets.

LMAO "hands in his own pocket."

A big part of the hustle for me was the rush of getting out alive with the money. I was young and foolish and probably a little dishonest too, back then. Johnnyt
 
to dump or not to dump...

I, too, am no big fan of dumping. However, there really is a distinction when there is no stakehorse involved, and with players doing a chop behind his back.

If you dump the rail, it's part of the hustle, and, like it or not, hustling is a well known facet of our sport.

Remember, the railbirds in Johnny's story were happy to keep making money betting against the poor one-armed fellow.

Best,
Brian kc
 
Last edited:
LMAO "hands in his own pocket."

A big part of the hustle for me was the rush of getting out alive with the money. I was young and foolish and probably a little dishonest too, back then. Johnnyt

Is that like being a little pregnant? That's some funny chit right there!

KK9 <-- would never let his daughter even answer the door if Johnnyt was ringing da bell! ;)
 
Is that like being a little pregnant? That's some funny chit right there!

KK9 <-- would never let his daughter even answer the door if Johnnyt was ringing da bell! ;)

You're right. I couldn't pick any of the girls up at their house in my area. I had to meet them on the corner or go to Brooklyn where you knew all the girls had a .22 or a .25 in their handbag or in their boot.
Another story someday of driving a pissed off girl back to Brooklyn with a cocked .22 in my rib and plenty of potholes on the way. Johnnyt
 
There was no stakehorse involved. Just a bunch of greedy people trying to make money off a handicaped person. I never had a stakehorse in my life, but I have dumped the rail a few times like that. Johnnyt

I see your point...I guess it's just the word dump..If you would have said we took off the rail it would have flowed much better:)
 
You're right. I couldn't pick any of the girls up at their house in my area. I had to meet them on the corner or go to Brooklyn where you knew all the girls had a .22 or a .25 in their handbag or in their boot.
Another story someday of driving a pissed off girl back to Brooklyn with a cocked .22 in my rib and plenty of potholes on the way. Johnnyt

You got me there kid. I never had a girl pull a gun on me. Although my girl pulled one out to protect me once (my .25 was in her purse). I did have a girl tell me she was pregnant just to scare me. We were kids and for months I looked at her every day at school to see if her belly was growing :grin:. I was too afraid to tell anyone.
 
You got me there kid. I never had a girl pull a gun on me. Although my girl pulled one out to protect me once (my .25 was in her purse). I did have a girl tell me she was pregnant just to scare me. We were kids and for months I looked at her every day at school to see if her belly was growing :grin:. I was too afraid to tell anyone.
My mom told me about you, now you owe for 31 years in back child support. :grin:
 
Hustlers and Lawyers

They say to bury a hustler or a lawyer 12 foot deep instead of 6 foot under.
The reason I was told was that deep down they are not that bad.
 
Thats just the opposite of how they bury a Canadian farmer. Only 2 feet down so they can get a hand out.

Whats the difference between a Canadian farmer and a jumbo jet?
The jumbo jet stops whining when it lands in Hawaii.
 
Back
Top