Unknown "monster" players

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
Joe Brown his brother? If so,they both didn't fall far from the tree.

No relation. I know Joe Brown...how can I put this, he is a character!

renard

Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
That kid is a straight shooter. Ruby still tutoring him?

Ryans mostly doing the student thing. Frank is a good tutor but I have no idea if thats still ongoing. When you watch Ryans stroke it just gives it all away that he is damn good.

renard

Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> As many pages as there is in this thread and not a single mention of "Chicken" George Kieselat,from up in the Akron/Cleveland area? He is probably capable of beating just about anyone a set here and there,and plays CHEAP too.

He might be known to some,but hardly someone you hear about constantly,is Chris Szuter from Canton,Oh. He owns a room called Fiddlestix,and was barred out of virtually every local-ish tournament up that way,along with George. It got to the point,as I've mentioned here before,that local rooms/bars made it a point to print on their flyers "Chicken George and Chris Szuter CAN NOT PLAY!". Tommy D.

Chicken George I remember him. He would avoid any player with a game and bet the fish. Thus the nickname. We played his team one year in the Ohio State VNEA open tourney. It was a handpicked team that included a player from WV and others scattered around Ohio that could have never possibly played together throughout the year. We had three or four runouts and beat them. They were arguing amongst themselves and Chicken George curiously was only given one break. So he was safety broke against. He won all his games but ball count was made by our team.

Before the tourny began I played him $10 a game on the practice tables seven or eight games he won $10 or $20. I ran out twice, played good; but he was tough.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> As many pages as there is in this thread and not a single mention of "Chicken" George Kieselat,from up in the Akron/Cleveland area? He is probably capable of beating just about anyone a set here and there,and plays CHEAP too.

He might be known to some,but hardly someone you hear about constantly,is Chris Szuter from Canton,Oh. He owns a room called Fiddlestix,and was barred out of virtually every local-ish tournament up that way,along with George. It got to the point,as I've mentioned here before,that local rooms/bars made it a point to print on their flyers "Chicken George and Chris Szuter CAN NOT PLAY!". Tommy D.

Not to disagree with you but George needs at least the seven ball from any mid-level pro. I witnessed him getting the six out from a very well known Road Hog and he couldn't get there. He matches up pretty good but he has left a lot on the table in the past due to the fact he plays so cheap. Does he still live in the Michigan area? One thing I will give him credit for he was patient enough to lay down for 2 years playin APA leagues until he snapped of the championship with a ranking that was wayyy out of line

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:

Not to disagree with you but George needs at least the seven ball from any mid-level pro. I witnessed him getting the six out from a very well known Road Hog and he couldn't get there. He matches up pretty good but he has left a lot on the table in the past due to the fact he plays so cheap. Does he still live in the Michigan area? One thing I will give him credit for he was patient enough to lay down for 2 years playin APA leagues until he snapped of the championship with a ranking that was wayyy out of line

Cashrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......more on highheels

l used hang out a well known players club in vegas and was telling him some stories about highheels .the massey story l covered here earlier and how he had to give a local champion weight 'you play regular and l'll bank em all' nineball for large money[five fiqures] ,he won.the owner said 'thats bullshit' nobody could do that, anyway a few weeks later came into the club and there sat Buddy hall , sitting with the owner, l said -hey Buddy,-good to see ya,- you know highheels dont ya?- he said BlackDanny?
l said yea, l was telling the owner here some stories about Danny and he didn't believe me...he said l have a story about highheels; he was in trouble with the law got busted on drugbeef [sidenote: Danny quit playing, he was tired of having to give up all that weight] anyway the judge was about to put him away for along thinking all his assets,houses,cars and such were the fruit of a prolific drugczar. Danny said no l got all this playing pool,,,the judge said whata you mean your a professional pool player ,like Willie mosconi, he said no l play the pros for money . the judge-like the bar owner- said bullshit, Danny said l can prove it l'll have some of em tell you. the judge said, DO THAT! or your going away for a long [probably 20+]time- anyway Danny put the callout and the only one to show up was Buddy.the judge knew who Buddy Hall was and on the witness stand and the judge asked Do you know this defendant ? Buddy said yea. Thats Danny , Highheels. the judge said he plays pool? l mean like you ? Buddy said yea ,he's good.
the judge accepted the statemen and Danny recieved the lesser sentence.
Buddy Hall a helluva poolplayer but a better man.KUDOS BUDDY.

Cashrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......more on highheels

l used hang out a well known players club in vegas and was telling him some stories about highheels .the massey story l covered here earlier and how he had to give a local champion weight 'you play regular and l'll bank em all' nineball for large money[five fiqures] ,he won.the owner said 'thats bullshit' nobody could do that, anyway a few weeks later came into the club and there sat Buddy hall , sitting with the owner, l said -hey Buddy,-good to see ya,- you know highheels dont ya?- he said BlackDanny?
l said yea, l was telling the owner here some stories about Danny and he didn't believe me...he said l have a story about highheels; he was in trouble with the law got busted on drugbeef [sidenote: Danny quit playing, he was tired of having to give up all that weight] anyway the judge was about to put him away for along thinking all his assets,houses,cars and such were the fruit of a prolific drugczar. Danny said no l got all this playing pool,,,the judge said whata you mean your a professional pool player ,like Willie mosconi, he said no l play the pros for money . the judge-like the bar owner- said bullshit, Danny said l can prove it l'll have some of em tell you. the judge said, DO THAT! or your going away for a long [probably 20+]time- anyway Danny put the callout and the only one to show up was Buddy.the judge knew who Buddy Hall was and on the witness stand and the judge asked Do you know this defendant ? Buddy said yea. Thats Danny , Highheels. the judge said he plays pool? l mean like you ? Buddy said yea ,he's good.
the judge accepted the statement and Danny received the lesser sentence.
Buddy Hall a helluva poolplayer....... but a better man. KUDOS BUDDY.

Cashrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'Forgiveaness please for the double post,l'm new to these h'yar parts.
but hey thats story was so nice its good to read it twice.

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread. I had the pleasure of talking to Vernon Elliott at the last DCC. One of his stories: He's on the road with a player he just met, Vernon's driving and says: "I'm going to take a shortcut". The guy says: "Do we have time?".
Lotsapapa was one of the best pure hustlers I ever saw and a great addition to any room he was in. He created action out of thin air, booked 95% winners, could sing like Marvin Gaye, and when he left town. no one was really sure how well he actually played. His passing was a loss to the pool coimmunity.
After talking to buddies who have seen everyone for the past 35 years, the consensus best unknowns are Bud Hype, Don Willis, and Jack Cooney, in our opinion. One of my friends saw Bud play back in the day and said "Champions used to drive 100 miles out of their way to steer clear of this guy". Of the "unknowns" I've personally seen, I go with the late Denny Searcy from San Francisco (he and Mike Massey are the most naturally talented players I've ever seen).

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Eight and the break? ha ha

Cashrider said:
Finally someone my favorite roadplayer.. wel maybe its him, his name was/is
Danny, they called him HIGHHEELS, never would play the tournament but would take down the winner. l personally was with him in a Muscatine Iowa
$20,000. 'Bar Rag Shoot-Out' where Mike Massey won the tournament,l asked Danny why he didn't play tournament he said he didn't want the noteriety,(even tho he dress like Huggy bear,red leather outfit matching hat and shoes,yes highheel boots,a$3000 piaget whitegold watch ringed in diamonds and two $25000 quarter sized gold with diamond rings.one white one yellow on each hand,very understated) anyway after the tournament
was over and Mike was posing with the check for the cameras Danny came down from the bleachers, when Mike saw him hesaid 'whats up highheels?'
Danny replied 'you know whats up' Mike said l don't gamble anymore ,l'm a christian now, hands went up all over place to stake Mike, longstoryshort Danny Busted em all..after all the stake galloped off , here comes St.Louie Louie Roberts, l believe Danny had to give him weight ,probably the eight and the snap,busted him too, as we were walking out accompanied by the dog Joe Louis(cause he would knock you out) St.louie walked behind in the parking and asked Danny to front him a couple hundred so he could get back in action , Danny refused , in the car l asked why he wouldn;t front another 'player' the money.He said what if l had given him the money ,he goes in there and gets pumped up and comes back and bust me ? l was young and dumb to the game.lesson learned.

Danny gave Louie the eight and the break? Danny was a nice player, but he had no chance playing Louie even! The rationale for refusing the bite also had nothing to do with a sharp hustler's advice either. Hustlers loaned each other money so that when they got broke that might have a station to go to when they were in need. Not giving a bite to someone you just broke is not smart, it's cheap.

the Beard

New videos of Fats, Mosconi, Crane etc. on my video blogs.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
Danny gave Louie the eight and the break? Danny was a nice player, but he had no chance playing Louie even! The rationale for refusing the bite also had nothing to do with a sharp hustler's advice either. Hustlers loaned each other money so that when they got broke that might have a station to go to when they were in need. Not giving a bite to someone you just broke is not smart, it's cheap.

And I agree, 100 percent! :)

JAM

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the same Bobby Baldwin that won the World Series Of Poker in the late 70's and became President of the Mirage Hotel in Vegas. Has worked for Steve Wynn for many years now. I know he was from Oklahoma and loved to play pool. He had a memorable game with Archie The Greek, maybe the biggest pool game moneywise ever. 20K-40K a game 9-Ball on a bar table.

Jay,

Different Baldwin's but they follow the same road. The non-world poker champion played very sporty one pocket and had a son who could play named Shawn. He eventually quit playing pool to play poker and I heard now that he deals poker at an Indian reservation in OK.

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ricky Gracyk. I remember when I graduated from college and moved to Raleigh in '89. I was in Brass Tap (or Brass Trap as I like to refer to it). In walks a good player, Martin, from Durham. Dressed well and was hitting some balls. Well, in the mean time, a twentyish looking fellow asked me if I wanted to knock some around until his match. "Twenty a game or so?" I wasn't much of a player, and five a game was really gambling back then. I later would be exposed to oh so much more. I declined, of course.

Martin finally was ready and told Ricky to rack'em up. Seven ahead for $300 getting the six and the break. Ricky missed like one or two makeable balls the whole time. Martin wouldn't even adjust when it was over.

He gave Cliff Joyner the eight. Brian Ezell the seven. (Brian was quoted that he sent him to the outer banks on a week long drunk) For those of you that don't know Brian, he beat Searcy with the eight. Let's just say he could play.

Four or five years pass. Johnny Archer is living in Raleigh and playing at his best. I mention Ricky. "Well, if he is in his poolroom ten miles down the road, I'm not gonna go try and find him. If he comes in where I am, I might play, but I don't have to win."

I'd love to talk to Ricky Gracyk now. Solid. Not flashy. Just solid.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jnav447 said:
Great thread. I had the pleasure of talking to Vernon Elliott at the last DCC. One of his stories: He's on the road with a player he just met, Vernon's driving and says: "I'm going to take a shortcut". The guy says: "Do we have time?".
Lotsapapa was one of the best pure hustlers I ever saw and a great addition to any room he was in. He created action out of thin air, booked 95% winners, could sing like Marvin Gaye, and when he left town. no one was really sure how well he actually played. His passing was a loss to the pool coimmunity.
After talking to buddies who have seen everyone for the past 35 years, the consensus best unknowns are Bud Hype, Don Willis, and Jack Cooney, in our opinion. One of my friends saw Bud play back in the day and said "Champions used to drive 100 miles out of their way to steer clear of this guy". Of the "unknowns" I've personally seen, I go with the late Denny Searcy from San Francisco (he and Mike Massey are the most naturally talented players I've ever seen).
In a earlier post I asked about Bud Hype,what do you know about him.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the older guys talk about a player from around Nashville called "Bingo" who died recently I heard. Does anyone know any thing about him?

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
Hear Hear

freddy the beard said:

the Beard

New videos of Fats, Mosconi, Crane etc. on my video blogs.

I totally agree. If you can't get even 10% walking money when you've just gone off for everything you & your backers had then "God Bless you" When its your turn. What goes around comes around. Especially in this little world we call the world of Pool.

I never saw Danny play that I know of. but he can't be a Playa, player. Lol
JMHO......I did know St. Louis Louie and he would sail.

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
I just got back from the yearly tournament at the Nite Hawk in Portland. Three days of old school pool. Push out, three foul, ball in hand 9- ball.

I wrote it all down and have some real pool stories. But I am tired now. I actually got several hours of work in today. As well as sold a cue & practised for over an hour. Had a meeting and did lunch. Back in the saddle at 7 am or sooooo till then.

Ooooo I think the quote of the tourny was when Bill Cress said ..."When they have the M..... F....ing Bill Cress Memorial Tournament there will be no jump cues allowed. Maybe no break cues either. What do ya think we did in the Old Days?" "F.c.ing Break Cues"

Thats about when he got knocked out.

Danny louie was suposed to win. But....nobody told Glen Atwell. Final race was to 11. The cream will rise to the top in that instance.

Little Leo did hurt my feelings so I tattled to Stan Tourengo. (Who crushed him 7-0.) Try that again Leo. What's up with him? His life choices have been even worse than mine. Just cause he's all married now and has a job he thinks hes's better than me. I did not know it was a contest Leo.
Good luck too ya.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Toby Sweet deserves a mention on here since he beat nearly everyone he played for 30 years. That's all, and there were some big names on his hit list. :)
Someone just posted a thread about him, so check it out for yourself.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
Yeah thats him.

I have been told that he is a very good golfer as well. Is he still in the car biz?

Still doing it aand living in the Austin area.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wincardona said:
Jay, Bernie Schwartz and Greg Stevens were never unknown monsters,on the contrary they were regarded by just about every one as the best during their time. Bernie beat every 9 ball champion that tried him.To name a few,Richie Florence,Eddie Kelly,Larry Hubbard,Wade Crane,Horace Harper,Ronnie Allen,Richie Ambrose,and many more.

That would be a pretty impressive resume.

I ran around with Stevens back in the 70's. He was an outrageous character.