US Open 9-ball updates thread..

gerryf

Have the prize money payouts been posted yet?
From matchroompool.com

97th $750​

65th $1,000​

49th $1,250​

33rd $1,750​

25th $2,250​

17th $2,750​

9th $3,750​

5th $6,750​

3rd $12,000​

Runner-Up $25,000​

Winner $50,000​

Total $300,000​

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Matchroom is not a sponsor, they're a promoter, yes, they NEED the dead money entry fees, where else do you think the prize money is going to come from, Matchroom?
Nope. Wouldn't even cover Matchroom's staffing costs. That's a 1.0~1.2M show we are watching there. The 40 - "Dead Money" types only make a small dent. They probably spent more that that on Airfare from England.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Where's Martin Scorsese? This is perfect!

The Colour of Yorkshire Pudding. (note that colour is spelled correctly)

Act 1:
Young Judd, raised in England, is torn from his ancestral home by the death of his mother. Forced to live with his estranged father in West Virginia, Judd is distressed to learn that his father is doing poorly, and may lose his farm.

Act 2:
Young Judd (picture Mr. Bean in the role) sees an ad for a US Open pool tournament with $100,000 as prize money. This is more than enough to save his father's farm. Young Judd has played snooker and decides to enter the tournament.

Act 3:
Young Judd wins his first few matches, and then runs against Macbeth, a famous Scottish player known for his temper and his peg leg and eye patch. Macbeth angrily berates the referee for not cleaning the balls properly. "Out damned spot"
and he humiliates Young Judd on the table, beating him 11-1.

Act 4:
Young Judd is now on the B-side, but does nothing but practice and practice. Young Judd starts beating his opponents on the B-side, and wins his way to the semi-final where again he faces the dreaded Macbeth.

Act 5:
I concur. Colour is the correct color.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
48 players left. By my count 6 North Americans, 11 Asians, 28 Europeans, plus a few I wasn’t sure about.

Pretty sad for USA.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what the odds are on Judd Trump now back in England. A few tickets are about to get tossed in the trash.

Different game.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
48 players left. By my count 6 North Americans, 11 Asians, 28 Europeans, plus a few I wasn’t sure about.

Pretty sad for USA.
I'm glad someone else noticed. The state of pro players in the USA is very sad indeed. This event, the parts that I have watched, feels like an event not staged in the US.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I'm glad someone else noticed. The state of pro players in the USA is very sad indeed. This event, the parts that I have watched, feels like an event not staged in the US.
Yeah, I wish the US were more competitive. But the remaining field sort of represents the upper echelon of the Top 100 of Fargo players. Maybe the Asian contingent is a little underrepresented. If Shane retires, we don't have anyone in the top 20. Or 30. (Not counting Dechaine).

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
3 STEP PROGRAM ON HOW TO FIX THIS:

1. Get off the CRACK (Bar Box). Burn them. Not good for the game. Teaches and propagates poor fundamentals.
2. Youth programs.
3. Refer to #1 & #2

It's no fluke that Fedor started on Russian Pyramid Tables (10 x 5 or 12 x 6 as standard). Trains on 10Foot Diamond. World class before 20. Kaci snooker etc...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Wouldn't even cover Matchroom's staffing costs. That's a 1.0~1.2M show we are watching there. The 40 - "Dead Money" types only make a small dent. They probably spent more that that on Airfare from England.
This is spot on. Dead money is less than tip money at the end of the day. It don’t hurt, but is not anything meaningful or bankable.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Dead money is what makes up the prize fund. 240 players x $750 = $180,000 from players entry fees, $120,000 added, collected from all the vendors, including Diamond. Then Matchroom sells the streamed content to 14 other subscription streaming platforms around the world for $Millions, DAZN is just one of those platforms. That's what promoters do, they don't sponsor the events.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Dead money is what makes up the prize fund. 240 players x $750 = $180,000 from players entry fees, $120,000 added, collected from all the vendors, including Diamond. Then Matchroom sells the streamed content to 14 other subscription streaming platforms around the world for $Millions, DAZN is just one of those platforms. That's what promoters do, they don't sponsor the events.
Your math is suspect...like your rail delivery. Dead Money = Approximately 40 (thumb suck of all the sub 750 Fargos) x $750 = 30K. Still only 2.5% of 1.2Meg. Everyone else has a viable chance. The "Dead Money" is rounding error.

1631767556144.png

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
i thought you were against amateurs competing in pro tournaments ?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pretty sad for USA.

should be mentioned that a bunch of them didn't enter, dechaine, bergman most notably. then we have hatch, archer, oscar, sossei, i don't think they were there. of the one pocket boys i've only seen roberts and lunda. were chohan, frost, justin hall, chip compton in? chohan almost beat JL chang in 10-ball a week ago.

then again, there's a whole contingent of east asian monster players that didn't enter as well.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Where's Martin Scorsese? This is perfect!

The Colour of Yorkshire Pudding. (note that colour is spelled correctly)

Act 1:
Young Judd, raised in England, is torn from his ancestral home by the death of his mother. Forced to live with his estranged father in West Virginia, Judd is distressed to learn that his father is doing poorly, and may lose his farm.

Act 2:
Young Judd (picture Mr. Bean in the role) sees an ad for a US Open pool tournament with $100,000 as prize money. This is more than enough to save his father's farm. Young Judd has played snooker and decides to enter the tournament.

Act 3:
Young Judd wins his first few matches, and then runs against Macbeth, a famous Scottish player known for his temper and his peg leg and eye patch. Macbeth angrily berates the referee for not cleaning the balls properly. "Out damned spot"
and he humiliates Young Judd on the table, beating him 11-1.

Act 4:
Young Judd is now on the B-side, but does nothing but practice and practice. Young Judd starts beating his opponents on the B-side, and wins his way to the semi-final where again he faces the dreaded Macbeth.

Act 5:
Biggest fantasy is the $100,000 1st place 🤣