What happened on Schmidt's 10 ball miss?

Why'd he miss the 10?

• The cueball curved too much.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The cueball deflected too much.

• The object ball threw too much.

• The object ball threw too little.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • He aimed incorrectly.

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Late in the Schmidt Harriman 10-ball match, Schmidt missed the 10 ball when he was on the rail cutting it back into the pocket. Why?

unknownpro

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ill tell you what happened.

there was 13 thou apiece bet on that set.i played the worst ten ball of my life .i was unsure of myself the whole set and it was extra tough for me to shoot spin shots with left and right english.anyway with the fact i was playing with no confidence ,alot of money on the line and the also i could not believe i had a chance to pull ahead even though i was playing horrible.so to put it in a nutshell i dogged it bad no one to blame but myself.anyway i practiced this past week in hopes of playing the spin shots better and i feel ive got it figured out.i called harriman and told him i would like to play the same format again for the same money and he gave me some story to the effect of we have to drop the one hole and play bank pool instead.anyway i will be asking him to try it again at the derby.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man Up.

john schmidt said:
there was 13 thou apiece bet on that set.i played the worst ten ball of my life .i was unsure of myself the whole set and it was extra tough for me to shoot spin shots with left and right english.anyway with the fact i was playing with no confidence ,alot of money on the line and the also i could not believe i had a chance to pull ahead even though i was playing horrible.so to put it in a nutshell i dogged it bad no one to blame but myself.anyway i practiced this past week in hopes of playing the spin shots better and i feel ive got it figured out.i called harriman and told him i would like to play the same format again for the same money and he gave me some story to the effect of we have to drop the one hole and play bank pool instead.anyway i will be asking him to try it again at the derby.

You're always a class act John. Way to step up and call it the way it was. We've all dogged critical shots but not everyone will accept it and grow from it.

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
cudos...

john schmidt said:
that statement takes guts! no excuses just the facts john dogged it and didnt make any excuses! i commend you john for telling it the way it is!:cool:

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
derby

let me know john when you plan on playing him at the derby. i wanna bet your side all the way. you WILL GET HIM next time. let me know, ya got my number.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WELL SAID John!....

I just got my OB-1 this week, and it's probably the best thing for my game right now. After 3 hours of practice I'm loving it, but there are a few shots I'm still working out like the slow spinners....?

BUT.....theres nothing like firing balls in with reverse and not having to make big adjustments.:)

Can't wait for your next match up.

Gerry

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
I just gained a lot of respect for you man. You played good and have no reason to take heat. A lot of people would have blamed humidity or dirty cloth or something but not so many will take it and own it.

GL at Derby

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
put it in a nutshell i dogged it bad no one to blame but myself..

That is very CLASSY John, way to step up and tell it like it was.
I have always had respect for you, and that just shows why you are respected through-out the pool community. LIVE and LEARN, that is what it is all about. We(human beings) are never to good to learn!
Good luck in the future.
Peace
Todd

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no disrespect to JS and I'm impressed that he manned up to what happened,

What I saw, this is my opinion and certainaly not a knock. It was just nerves and the pressure, he hit the 9 bad(nerves) left himself tough 10 ball, john was a little high on adreneline-it can happen to anyone(some adrenelen is good, to much works against anyone), sure he has showed great ability to fade the heat but not that night-it just wasnt his night, the pressure got him that night, next time he might play for $50,000 and be cool as possible. With that tension he was jumping up on a few shots and getting away with it earilyer but down the strech he just got worse ON THAT NIGHT ONLY. The other fact is Danny just happened to catch a gear right when he needed to, John has won matches just like by catching a gear to close the deal. He lost that one(no big deal), one thing is for sure his stock didnt go down, IMO he shouldnt be considered a dog for one bad night, we all have off nights. We all know he holds up great under pressure-it just wasnt his night. he has all my respect. He might win the rematch it was close.

Pressure can affect althetes differently from day to day, some boxers come out flat because they shoot their load 30 minutes before they get in the ring and cant box, Shane Mosely was telling me about that and how they manage to manage the pressure. John will bounce back no doubt about it.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I actually felt a little warm and fuzzy inside after seeing that shot... cuz I could finally know for sure that even top pros do some of the same dumb shet that I do sometimes. It's just so much less common for them. Not that I'm calling anyone dumb, we all do it. I hope that comes across right.

Both players had some dog in them that game, check out danny's scratch on the 1-10 or 2-10 combo or whatever it was. I guess 10k is enough to bring out some dog in anyone.

john, from the way you describe it you're still sounding like you want to spin it in like with low outside... can't you just cut it in with plain top, bottom, or center? No danger of scratching and I can't see any advantage to spinning off 2 rails if you wanna leave him bad?

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, if you don't mind me asking - are you still adjusting to the OB1 shaft?
I would think that playing for years with a conventional shaft and changing over to the OB1 can mess with your perceptions for a little while.

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
fatboy - that shot was not tough. He got on it very good... Just missed it.

I am with CreeDo here. Seeing one of the best miss a "hanger" confirms that there may still be hope for me :) Watching top players play perfect is always nice but it allways reminds me how bad I really am :)

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great post Jon S

I would say how does it feel to want ? Danny's the winner of the all around. The next challenger please! Come one come all. Lets let Shannon the cannon step into the arena. Sorry to say same way with Shane. Or every other person who looses will always say. Lets double the bet start over. Is the challenge open to the americans only. As jon said he missed, he played terrible shape as well. But I think Jon had many rolls going his way. Danny won lets give him his due. Like Scottster said the people on az have crossed the line. Look at danny he played with the unkown stacy cue -that certainly was a disavantage as well. How about a dress code for the challenger. I was surprized Jon Always is a sharp dresser. and Mr. Danny Harriman will dress and act like a champion. Just like Archer,Corey gabe,wiseman,cliff J. I did think it was poor sportsmenship on Jon's backer towards the end (talking to danny) and for Jon to walk out for a no comment interview. I call them just as I see them- I'm different but I'm ok with it! mark

bagofpaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HollyWood said:
I would say how does it feel to want ? Danny's the winner of the all around. The next challenger please! Come one come all. Lets let Shannon the cannon step into the arena. Sorry to say same way with Shane. Or every other person who looses will always say. Lets double the bet start over. Is the challenge open to the americans only. As jon said he missed, he played terrible shape as well. But I think Jon had many rolls going his way. Danny won lets give him his due. Like Scottster said the people on az have crossed the line. Look at danny he played with the unkown stacy cue -that certainly was a disavantage as well. How about a dress code for the challenger. I was surprized Jon Always is a sharp dresser. and Mr. Danny Harriman will dress and act like a champion. Just like Archer,Corey gabe,wiseman,cliff J. I did think it was poor sportsmenship on Jon's backer towards the end (talking to danny) and for Jon to walk out for a no comment interview. I call them just as I see them- I'm different but I'm ok with it! mark

I don't think any of the spectators were looking for John S to dress up for us.. we were hoping for a great match and we cetainly got that!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
HollyWood said:
Look at danny he played with the unkown stacy cue -that certainly was a disavantage as well. mark
There are a few holes in that post but this one I can't let go. If Mike Stacey's cues are unknown to you then you just don't know much about cues. He makes quality cues. To say Danny was at a disadvantage because he played with one is beyond ridiculous.

Do you really think a guy like Danny is going to show up to play a $20,000 match with an unsponsored cue that is a "disadvantage" ? You sure don't give him or Mike Stacey near enough credit.

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
There are a few holes in that post but this one I can't let go. If Mike Stacey's cues are unknown to you then you just don't know much about cues. He makes quality cues. To say Danny was at a disadvantage because he played with one is beyond ridiculous.

Do you really think a guy like Danny is going to show up to play a $20,000 match with an unsponsored cue that is a "disadvantage" ? You sure don't give him or Mike Stacey near enough credit.

Doesnt Danny Play with an Olney by the way...?

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
JCIN said:

My impression was that he was saying unknown as in not having played much with the cue. Not necessarily it being a knock on the cuemaker.

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

why not step up and play the games he is asking for. he is the all around champ he should be able to say what games should go into the all around. its all pool, unless your are afraid to play banks. i dont know.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Robertduke said:
Doesnt Danny Play with an Olney by the way...?
He had another cue with him but he played with a purpleheart Stacey sneaky that had a trick reverse splice on the buttcap throughout the match. Danny said he ordered the reverse splice on the butt end so I guess he didn't just find the thing laying around. You can see it here :

http://www.theactionreport.com/Action_All_Around_TEN_Ball_20_20.html

The other cue looked like a cocobolo merry widow. He told me who made it but I have forgotten.

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

If you guys decide to go at it again. One pocket is a must .. Maybe you guys should forget the ten ball and straights. Just have a rematch In One Pocket.