What is a good cue extender?

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to purchase a cue extender but I wanted to know what you guys thought were the best ones? I've seen the Hager cue extenders and the Qextensions.

How good are the connections .. Does it matter what type of cue? Mine has a delrin buttcap and a bumper.

Also, do these fit into cue cases? I'm getting a case made with the Barton interior and I was wondering if either of these would fit into the normal slots..

Do you guys prefer extenders to bridges?

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Would you prefer an extender that attaches to your cue or one that is built in to the cue itself?

Hager does make an excellent extender, however if you want a built-in extender check out DeRoo.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to purchase a cue extender but I wanted to know what you guys thought were the best ones? I've seen the Hager cue extenders and the Qextensions.

How good are the connections .. Does it matter what type of cue? Mine has a delrin buttcap and a bumper.

Also, do these fit into cue cases? I'm getting a case made with the Barton interior and I was wondering if either of these would fit into the normal slots..

Do you guys prefer extenders to bridges?

The hagar extension is great. It fits snug and its similar in diameter to your cue butt so it feels familiar. Mine was about an inch too long for my case pocket, so I just slid the mesh internals out and cut the plastic tube with a saw. Fits great now.

Ian

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I have a Cue Reach, a Hagar, a Tony Ryan and a Mezz. I like the Tony Ryan or the Cue Reach.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you prefer an extender that attaches to your cue or one that is built in to the cue itself?

Hager does make an excellent extender, however if you want a built-in extender check out DeRoo.

I need to checkout the Hager. I'm set on playing cue already. Thanks

TheBook
Buy a hager case. You can then use the butt tube as a extender.

I already have a JB case on order. I don't really like the way the hagers look either.

Thanks guys. How do you guys with the Ryan extender carry it? Jump pocket? 12.5 should be doable for my new case..

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
"The Tony Ryan" cue extender

jetlau3:

I really like my Tony Ryan:

http://thetonyryan.com/
product_group.jpg

I have the large/long one, by the way, and it fits perfectly INSIDE my Sterling Wave 4x8 cue case, and only steals/obstructs one of the shaft slots. (Which is no problem, since I don't have that many shafts to entirely fill the case anyway.)

I've had mine for three years now, and it's quite rugged. Playing lots of straight pool and 1-hole, I often have to reach over the table to play behind-the-rack type of shots, and I use my Tony Ryan a lot. It still has that familiar "fop!" sound when it's pulled off the end of my cue.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these still available for order from Tonyryan.com? I got a PM saying they were no longer being made and that only Brianna carries them. They are charging $47 shipped though which is too high for me.

JimS

Silver Member
I don't know if there's a hard case out there that would hold a Tony Ryan. I use a soft case and it works fine.

Attachments

• One off Cue Case Interior1.jpg
    One off Cue Case Interior1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,492
  • One off Cue Case Interior2jpg.jpg
    One off Cue Case Interior2jpg.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,464
  • One off Cue Case.jpg
    One off Cue Case.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,459

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sterling Wave cases comfortably fit a Tony Ryan cue extender inside the case itself

I don't know if there's a hard case out there that would hold a Tony Ryan. I use a soft case and it works fine.

Now you do -- the Sterling Wave 4x8 comfortably fits a Tony Ryan cue extender *inside* the case itself. (No strapping it to the outside, nor consuming a pocket that you have to partially zip onto the cue extender to hold it.)

-Sean

Attachments

• Photo_021010_001.jpg
    Photo_021010_001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I bought a Hager Extender from a Forum Member who was selling all sizes recently, IMHO it is the BEST EXTENDER for the Money, it works like the of Chinese Handcuff from when I was a kid, and does not damage your Cues BUTT.,
CIMG0005.JPG

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Cue Reach, a Hagar, a Tony Ryan and a Mezz. I like the Tony Ryan or the Cue Reach.

Jim......I'm also looking to get an extender...If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what it is that you like better about the Ryan and the Cue Reach?

Thanks, Ghost

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
You can have a custom que made to match your stroke

Are these still available for order from Tonyryan.com? I got a PM saying they were no longer being made and that only Brianna carries them. They are charging $47 shipped though which is too high for me.

I have a couple ques made by my brother Doug Patrick, of patrickcustomcues.com.

The shaft is longer as is the butt. Rather that some rigged after market product I would suggest having a que made with a longer shaft and a longer butt. This would give you between 3 an 4 inches of additional stroke.

Being 6 fooyt 6 and having a long stroke, I found these ques to enable me to use what little stroke I have to its most effect.

You can measure your stroke and have a custom cue made to the length you want without using some que extender.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
get a mezz and get the screw in extension! or send it to kevin deroo or scott szachaow and they'll put in a built in extension in your cue for you.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Nat Green at South East Cues does installs with the metal rod "slider" extension on any cue you can bring him,and builds them as well.

One of the import cue companies (Action,Players,?) makes a cue with this same type of extension for less than 100 bucks,and I THINK it's a jump/break as well. Tommy D.

JimS

Silver Member
Jim......I'm also looking to get an extender...If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what it is that you like better about the Ryan and the Cue Reach?

Thanks, Ghost

I like the feel of the Tony Ryan when it's on the cue. The shaft of it feels more to me like a regular cue butt... but that may be just my take on it. I also like it because it fits on the butt of my Sailor cues, if I'm using one of them. The others don't fit on the flared butt of my Sailor's.

I like the cue reach because I can use it as a butt tube in a soft case. It serves as protection to a cue butt. I do worry some about whether it will scratch a cue butt as it is somewhat jammed onto the butt in order to hold it.

The Mezz and the Hagar are both just as good as the others. I guess I got accustomed to the feel of the Tony Ryan before the others. The Mezz seems to me to be very close in feel, storage characteristics, and fit to the Ryan. The Hagar is light weight and works fine.. just as CC says.

I guess my main reason for using the Ryan is that it fits on my Sailor's and consequently I don't have to be concerned about which extender is in my bag when I change cues. If it weren't for the Sailor flared butts I think any of them would work just fine. I don't think I'd have a favorite... unless it would be the Hagar for it's light weight in the cue case.

Last edited:

JimS

Silver Member
Now you do -- the Sterling Wave 4x8 comfortably fits a Tony Ryan cue extender *inside* the case itself. (No strapping it to the outside, nor consuming a pocket that you have to partially zip onto the cue extender to hold it.)

-Sean

Thanks Sean! I didn't know that would work. I really like that idea and the versatility of that case.

Just one more reason to like JB's Wave case. I've been looking at them ever since they came out. The only thing I don't care for is the Wave design. It doesn't please me. why???? I don't know why???? It just doesn't please my "eye".

What JB case has the same interior.. one that would fit the Ryan, and not have the wave design on the exterior? But then what do I care??? I'm using soft cases anyway.

I just can't decide what case to use... THAT'S MY PROBLEM!!!! :groucho:

Last edited: