Which Pro jumps the best?

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which pro player do you think jumps the best, any video?

I would like to focus on real tournament condition, when the pro player goes for the jump shot under pressure.

By the way, I have never seen any pro going for a jump less than a ball away in a big tournament.

In my opinion, I am very impressed with Mika Immonen's jump accuracy and control. I remember watching Mika in the WPC a few years back, he pushed to very difficult and long jump shot. He was given the shot, and he made it, then ran out. I am sure a lot of players would not be able to make that jump shot the way Mika did, so it also showed me how important and powerful it is to master a jump shot, and execute it under pressure.

I think John Schimdt is also very accurate with his full cue jump.

In Asia, from what I have seen, Wu and Yang both have excellent control on the direction and landing zone of their jump shots.

Who is your pick?

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Well, for my money, George "Ginky" SanSouci. Haven't seen him play in years, but I remember when he would push out to jump shots. His jump shot was so on that he could jump, make the ball, and get position.

There were many times that he would jump, hit the object ball and play a lock down safe. At first I thought he was getting lucky, but he was doing it too much for it to be luck. You could also tell at times what his intentions were. Maybe someone can shed some light on if Ginky is still playing as strong as a few years back.

Gene

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
The current issue of BD has a poll conducted of the top pros, in several disciplines. Shawn Putnam was voted best jumper by his peers.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Scott must have been writing his post at the same time I was. Glad I didn't bet!

Ginky is still very impressive.

Gene

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Many chinese taipei and singapore (I guess asian in general) seem awesome at jumping. It's funny ppl mention mika, I was just watching him play one of the pro singaporeans and Mika did indeed push out to a jump position. He hit it.

In the same WPC 2005 match videos, Kang was playing efren and got hooked about 7 inches from a ball, and the commentator was saying that if there's any single country that would win the jump shooting crown it's chinese taipei. Sure enough seconds later kang jumps and sinks the shot (which was like 7 feet away). He eventually beat efren, I was pretty impressed with him. He should be a household name.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
With a full length cue, Earl in his prime.

Another one that hit 'em pretty sporty a while back was Smokey Bartlett.

Stones

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see players use a full length cue and see how they perform with it! the jump cue made life too easy. Earl gets my vote in this department.

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
well!

ask tony chohan how shane van boening jumps! he said he still wakes up with nightmares from the jumps shane made on him 2 years ago! shane jumps well!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Charlie Williams jump a ball in person one time and there wasn't much room between the cueball and the object ball, like less than an inch. It was pretty impressive.

However, a local player in my neck of the woods by the name of Danny Green is the best I have ever seen up front and close. The kid can jump anything from anywhere.

Several years ago at Q-Masters, while the U.S. Open was in progress, Keith McCready matched up with Tony Watson for a chunk of cheese. There was a huge crowd surrounding their table, with plenty of side bets going on. Michael Coltrain bet on Tony, and I knew then that Keith was in trouble. Michael Coltrain is an excellent handicapper.

Every time Keith tied him up, Tony would jump. I counted 42 jump balls during the match made by the North Carolinian, and needless to say, Tony won. Keith had the deer in headlights look at the conclusion of the game, and me, I thought next time, no jump cues allowed! :D

JAM

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
JAM said:
However, a local player in my neck of the woods by the name of Danny Green is the best I have ever seen up front and close. The kid can jump anything from anywhere.

Yeppers, Danny can really jump 'em well. It was very instructive to watch him teach a friend of his how to jump, that is, the various techniques and details involving stance, aiming, stroke, where to look when executing the shot, and so on.

Flex

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I can personally vouch for the disgusting amount of skill Smokey Bartlett displayed when he was up this way in the early 90's. I watched him gamble and play tournament matches every chance I got for 7-8 months,totaling maybe 1000 racks. I came to the conclusion it was time for me to buy a jump cue,even though Smokey didn't need one. I swear this is the truth,if he rolled out for a jump shot,you lost if you didn't take the shot yourself,because if you hit the ball but missed,you might get safe. If you let him shoot it,you might as well have been giving him ball in hand,no s**t. If you played a safe that left him over 5-6 inches away from the primary blocker,he broke your heart repeatedly. He did all of this with a beat-up 15oz Valley house cue,the only modification was a 3/4 Aegis ferrule. The tip was beat down to the point of only having enough sidewall left on the tip to keep from having the edge of the ferrule exposed. Some of his jumps were probably not possible on Simonis or Championship cloth,all of these were done on the fastest grade Mali rubber-backed cloth. Draw,follow,or stop for position,it didn't matter,this guy was just sick. He taught me how to use my jump cue,outlining the exact method for how to aim with it,and what effects the elevation has on different tip positions for applying sidespin,etc. Other than Earl,only Rafael Martinez is better with a full length cue than Smokey. Tommy D.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
With a full-length playing cue ... your buddy Earl. However, even he has sold out and uses a jump cue.
Steve. <= thinks jump cues should be illegal, but will continue to use one until they are.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Chao and Deuel IMO.

After seeing that match with Bustamante, Chao gets one of my votes...

Also Cory Deuel. He seems to do very well with jumps and position, plus it seems he always uses his playing cue, full length, leather tip and seem to do a great job with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7WrWCGYpA

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do not forget that these days even the B players from the leagues have been jumping the cue ball as good as pros by using the specialized cues.
however:
A.One shoud not forget that it was Earl who really gave different meaning to Jumping and did it with regular playing cue
B.do not for get `jumping Johny` Johny archer
C.Kim Daven port,rafael martinez the old timers
D.Georg Breed Love can Jump with one hand and make the balls.next time u run into him please beg him to show those mind bogling one handed ones
E.ENGERT from GERMANY is known to jump the cue from a closest range possible.

I can`t tell who is the best among the new and young pros.As I said earlier even the B players are doing equally good as Pros and I really can`t tell who is better.

Last edited:

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> I can personally vouch for the disgusting amount of skill Smokey Bartlett displayed when he was up this way in the early 90's. I watched him gamble and play tournament matches every chance I got for 7-8 months,totaling maybe 1000 racks. I came to the conclusion it was time for me to buy a jump cue,even though Smokey didn't need one. I swear this is the truth,if he rolled out for a jump shot,you lost if you didn't take the shot yourself,because if you hit the ball but missed,you might get safe. If you let him shoot it,you might as well have been giving him ball in hand,no s**t. If you played a safe that left him over 5-6 inches away from the primary blocker,he broke your heart repeatedly. He did all of this with a beat-up 15oz Valley house cue,the only modification was a 3/4 Aegis ferrule. The tip was beat down to the point of only having enough sidewall left on the tip to keep from having the edge of the ferrule exposed. Some of his jumps were probably not possible on Simonis or Championship cloth,all of these were done on the fastest grade Mali rubber-backed cloth. Draw,follow,or stop for position,it didn't matter,this guy was just sick. He taught me how to use my jump cue,outlining the exact method for how to aim with it,and what effects the elevation has on different tip positions for applying sidespin,etc. Other than Earl,only Rafael Martinez is better with a full length cue than Smokey. Tommy D.

Are Earl and Rafael even in Smokey's league when it comes to jumping? Because I've seen Earl and Rafael jump quite a few shots, and it was nowhere near what your describing...as if they had ball in hand...no not for them. Yes they can make contact, but they arent gonna make every shot like you are describing this Smokey guy could do.