Who are The Hustlers?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Based on the clips that are available, I wouldn't be surprised if Finnegan becomes the breakout character of this show. Finnegan seems very at ease in front of the camera.
http://www.trutv.com/shows/the-hustlers/videos/index.html

As someone else pointed out, more this appeals to mainstream audience, less likely appeals to our pool subculture. This could be the next "Color of Money", which brings in new people into our sport.

I really don't care if my next league opponent starts blowing off chalk, pop breaks and usually scratch, or step to the tune of a Warren Zevon song? This could get people to check out their local poolhalls, maybe buy a cue, or be interested in joining a league and play in tournaments.

I'll be looking forward to watching this. Good luck with the show.

Yeah Finny is the Godfather of Pool....thought you knew!!!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
It has a much better chance then Bonus Ball for sure but will it make season 2? I do hope it is successful and helps to bring more players into poolrooms which it certainly will but not sure at what number of people it draws. This show is something billiard companies should try to get behind and on board with somehow along with the players featured in it.

StonedCEO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Mikey thinks shooting pool is shady and not something to be proud of. He prefers not to let any of his work or romantic relationships get anywhere near his pool playing."

"recently settled down with a new girlfriend – who has no idea that he plays pool."

Your bio makes you sound like a serious scumbag. Nothing like an open, and honest relationship. And you think shooting pool is shady?

Quite the ambassador of the sport.....shady and something to be ashamed of.

This show is going to entice people to play pool, about as successfully as Hardcore Pawn entices people to go to a pawn shop in the ghetto.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
"Mikey thinks shooting pool is shady and not something to be proud of. He prefers not to let any of his work or romantic relationships get anywhere near his pool playing."

"recently settled down with a new girlfriend – who has no idea that he plays pool."

Your bio makes you sound like a serious scumbag. Nothing like an open, and honest relationship. And you think shooting pool is shady?

This show is going to entice people to play pool, about as successfully as Hardcore Pawn entices people to go to a pawn shop in the ghetto.

Pool is finally on tv and that's what you're worried about? Get a grip dude. You're really naive if you think every single thing in the bio's are 100% true.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
It has a much better chance then Bonus Ball for sure but will it make season 2? I do hope it is successful and helps to bring more players into poolrooms which it certainly will but not sure at what number of people it draws. This show is something billiard companies should try to get behind and on board with somehow along with the players featured in it.

The industry has NOT been supportive in general. Only a few companies did anything at all. I assure you that will be reciprocated on the other side if it pops off. Just the nature of business I guess.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member

First of all don't knock me cause I live my life a certain type of way. I prefer not to have certain things mixed together. Pool is my escape from my real life and my real life is my escape from pool. If you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you. It's nice to criticize though ask yourself one good question....

How many people involved will come here and actually answer the questions people want to ask? Fact is I'm the only one so feel free to railroad me about something I clearly didn't write. I spend a decent amount of time on this site trying to do good stuff.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The industry has NOT been supportive in general. Only a few companies did anything at all. I assure you that will be reciprocated on the other side if it pops off. Just the nature of business I guess.
Might grease a few of the connected pockets but its a stretch to think it will bring any meaningful money or new players to pool

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i dont think the whole thing is shady enough.

From what the show looks like, it appears that they dont want to show the most interesting parts of pool on TV.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Dude, chill out. It's a fuggin bio that Mikey didn't write. And so what that he does not want to tell folks at work that he's a "hustler".

Folks at my work know I play pool in leagues and tourneys, but I don't gamble like Mikey, but if I did, I would not tell folks at work either. I do gamble a LOT playing poker, but then again, folks at work don't need to know that either.

You need a certain "rep" in the workplace in Corp America, and someone gambling/hustling is not the vibe you want at certain "straight" jobs. Mikey and me don't agree a lot on politics, but he's good dude, and he's doing a show that can't HURT pool, but could help it.

And he pays up when he gambles, and you don't ever have to ask him twice. No excuses either.

Last edited:

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah well it is a "reality" show after all. I'm sure all the people involved as just as involved with keeping up the "interesting" bullsh!t of the entire show and bios writeups. This show is not going to last long. There's only so much poolroom "drama" you can script before everyone finally gets it and tunes out. As seen with that video a cpl weeks ago of the room full of jackasses arguing on how to play a game for a buck for like an hour is about as interesting it actually ever gets in a real group of players. anything else is just pure bs

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to everyone saying something negative wow complete bag of dickheads...you know less than nothing. if its the best or worst show ever it gets some attention ..it will definetely send some people to the poolroom
that way when you cry that the local room doesnt open till three or they dont allow you to sit around all day with free coffee and cheap table time you assbags can come on here and cry some more about what everyone else is doing wrong.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread reminds me of the many IPT threads. People being hostile on both sides of it. We shall see how it turns out.

I for one, don't have cable TV, I'm too cheap. I hope its available the next day on the website.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If your local poolhall has cable and carries TruTV, maybe get them to show it tonight?

Don't let the trolls affect you. Just ignore, and don't respond. Responding just validates their existence.

This thread reminds me of the many IPT threads. People being hostile on both sides of it. We shall see how it turns out.

I for one, don't have cable TV, I'm too cheap. I hope its available the next day on the website.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I've got the show DVR'd and look forward to seeing it. Hope it is fun and works out.

WP

2strong4u

Banned
First of all don't knock me cause I live my life a certain type of way. I prefer not to have certain things mixed together. Pool is my escape from my real life and my real life is my escape from pool. If you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you. It's nice to criticize though ask yourself one good question....

How many people involved will come here and actually answer the questions people want to ask? Fact is I'm the only one so feel free to railroad me about something I clearly didn't write. I spend a decent amount of time on this site trying to do good stuff.
All good Mikey. I work a real responsible job.

Pool is best when lived as a double life. Like some kind of serial killer who wakes up with chalk on his hands and other people's money in his pockets.

My wife has and never will see the inside of,a pool hall.

When I try to explain going to SBE or DCC to nonplayers it's like describing another world. So I gave up trying to explain it.

Pool is a fringe sport. I don't think any movie or show is going to make it mainstream. I'm ok with that...just need action which is in short supply.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully this doesn't come off completely negative, but here goes my attempt at some constructive criticism.

There are too many cut away shots during the pool matches. I understand time constraints and wanting to summarize an entire set in a few minutes. But after watching a couple of minutes of the match between Finnegan and Duddy, I began to get dizzy.

Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to a non-pool player and maybe the production crew will take into consideration in future episodes. I'm still rooting for the show to be successful.