Who are the 'Old Schoolers' of AZ

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why cant this site like many put the join date for a poster and their post count.

whats a silver member and a gold one. and what significance is that consider all are one or the other

isnt that important for us and isnt this site all about keeping us informed and together.
If you click on your screen name it tells you a bunch of info , join date etc

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzBilliards has been around longer than that as I was lurking it starting in 1997 I am 97% sure, and 100% sure it was late 90's very shortly thereafter if not 1997. Was also mostly lurking RSB and ASP in those days as well.
You might be right for all I know. Originally it showed your member number when you joined. I recall mine being 1104 or something close to that. My first username was Quedup but when AZ crashed in the early days a lot of info was lost forever. I lurked for 6 or 8 months before joining so I am reasonably sure AZ Forums were not around as early as you state. Perhaps Mike will post in and clear it up.

Either way cheers to all of us old members for keeping the forums around.. I always wondered what happened to Jimbo after he shut down his forum??

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vcash for still hanging on!
Wow
Screenshot_20220420-211106.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The site had a major crash and when it was rebuilt in 2003 that became all existing members official join date. So I heard anyway, I didn't come along until a few years later.

Anyway, when you see 2003 as a join date the user has probably been around longer than a dinosaur turd!

Hu

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine says nov. 7th of 2003, I am old now and cant honesty say when I joined. Pretty sure I joined before then. 🤤🤤

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I hung around RSB until the end and then joined AZB in 2005. Dont know if that makes me an old schooler.
Spent a lot of years trading on wanted/for sale and recently (guessing 2016) have spent a lot of time debating on NPR.
Hi I am B, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.
edit: I could have placed my name on the SW list back then. I would have ended up with a generic cue that didnt play very well. What a dope.
edit edit..hmmm 2011 thread

Last edited:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With this site being around now for quite the time and me being gone for a period of time, it appears to me that lately there has been more of an influx of new members actively posting than in the recent years. I used to read posts and threads and know most people involved. Now I don't know many of them.

Makes me think, who are the Old Schoolers of AZ -

Trigger, Blackjack, Cuaba, Fast N Loose, Fatboy (well only Fatboy1 not Fatboy2), Hangemhigh, JAM, JB Cases, JoeyA, Manwon, Ribdoner, Rossaroni, Williebetmore, Spidey, Houmatroy, Mikeyfrost, lfigueroa, Terry Ardeno, Corvette, JCIN, Jay Helfert, Saw, ME....I am sure there are a slew more but those are off the top of my head.
I’m not sure if I’d be considered an old schooler and don’t post much but I’ve been here since there was talk about a kid from South Dakota

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I came right about the time Smorgasbored died , if anybody remembers when that was. I really have no idea , I am pretty sure this is not my first screen name though, but who knows or cares, not even sure if he was here or rsb , now that I think about it , Im not even sure smorg was not in one of my chess forums, I also belong to a couple of rv forums car repair and small engine repair forums. Oh and a small lathe forum although I almost never interact in those. Twilight Zone is also a strong possibility.
Smorgass Bored was definitely on RSB. I specifically remember that he used the wireless keyboard Web TV service/device to surf the web and the forums on your TV which was unique at the time but not very popular and didn't gain much traction. That was in his earler RSB days (late 90's sometime for him I believe) and he switched to a traditional computer and service within a couple of years.

He was also a member here on AzBilliards starting on or before Mach 22, 2003 it appears (not sure if that was just a forum reboot/reset date and he was here earlier or not). I don't know the exact date of his passing but it was sometime in May 2009.

This may have been his last post. I miss that dude.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
You might be right for all I know. Originally it showed your member number when you joined. I recall mine being 1104 or something close to that. My first username was Quedup but when AZ crashed in the early days a lot of info was lost forever. I lurked for 6 or 8 months before joining so I am reasonably sure AZ Forums were not around as early as you state. Perhaps Mike will post in and clear it up.

Either way cheers to all of us old members for keeping the forums around.. I always wondered what happened to Jimbo after he shut down his forum??
AzBilliards was definitely here in the late 90's, pretty sure it was '97 that I recall first seeing it and starting to actively lurk. It has been so long I can't say for certain the forums were there at that time though. It is possible that the site was just news etc at first kind of like the main page today and the forums came slightly later, the memory on that detail is a bit fuzzy but I sure want to say the forums were here at that time too. Forums looked a lot different back then that's for sure, they sure have come a long way.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored was definitely on RSB. I specifically remember that he used the wireless keyboard Web TV service/device to surf the web and the forums on your TV which was unique at the time but not very popular and didn't gain much traction. That was in his earler RSB days (late 90's sometime for him I believe) and he switched to a traditional computer and service within a couple of years.

He was also a member here on AzBilliards starting on or before Mach 22, 2003 it appears (not sure if that was just a forum reboot/reset date and he was here earlier or not). I don't know the exact date of his passing but it was sometime in May 2009.

This may have been his last post. I miss that dude.
Thanks, maybe It was 2010 when I first came, that would be about right from what you say, heck , I can't remember what I did this afternoon.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I hung around RSB until the end and then joined AZB in 2005. Dont know if that makes me an old schooler.
Spent a lot of years trading on wanted/for sale and recently (guessing 2016) have spent a lot of time debating on NPR.
Hi I am B, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.
edit: I could have placed my name on the SW list back then. I would have ended up with a generic cue that didnt play very well. What a dope.
edit edit..hmmm 2011 thread
lol it's ok misterpoole , some of these these creeps do it for fun , just to make us senor's feel goofy, lol I have fallen for it about 50 times , slow learner I guess.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been here since 2007 Meet lots of friends through this site
More than I can count.

That’s been the absolute best thing about AZB, I’ve met so many great people here.

That’s why I don’t get into the drama, I’m here to chat with friends, give advice when I can, ask questions and learn. And make friends as well. I’ve met people from all over the world here. Some don’t play pool anymore but I’m still close friends with them.

Great action

Fatboy 😃

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I am. Hope you are well Steve. Reading Louie Roberts book and saw you mentioned in it. 😊
I'm good. Hope you are as well. Enjoy the book. Looking to get out your way sometime, just need to find the time. I'll stop by and say hello when I do.