Who You Like To See Run IT?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If for some strange reason enough pro players sent in say $250 to start a National Tour, who would be a good choice to run it? You would need at least two names. You would need one for the Major Tour and one for the Minor Tour.

None of this is written in stone. I am in no way an expert on tours and tournaments. Let's say that anyone that has come in 20th or better in a $2000 added tournament in the last 3 years is automatic to go on the Major Tour (with their $250 membership fee). Then you could have APA 7's or better automatic for the Major (with MS fee). This way you would have the minor tour part already in place. (I'm not sure if APA 7 is high enough, just needed to put a # there)

I don't know much about TAP, but maybe they could be drawn from too, like the APA. This is just something to kick around or flame. I would go with Jay Helfert and one of the TD (owners) of one of the larger tours that's been around awhile. Johnnyt
 
ALLEN HOPKINS and EARL STRICKLAND!

They have experienced enough organizational mishaps in their pool-playing careers that I think they would know EXACTLY what to do to keep it straight.

Two Hall of Famers!

Allen definitely has the knowhow, but I doubt he has the time. :(

JAM
 
JAM said:
ALLEN HOPKINS and EARL STRICKLAND!

They have experienced enough organizational mishaps in their pool-playing careers that I think they would know EXACTLY what to do to keep it straight.

Two Hall of Famers!

Allen definitely has the knowhow, but I doubt he has the time. :(

JAM

The first I understand. The second really has me scratching my head and wondering, WHY?
 
ironman said:
The first I understand. The second really has me scratching my head and wondering, WHY?

Because if you knew Earl Strickland well, you would understand that he desires with all his being for pool to be successful in America, more so than me, and that's saying a lot! :D

While I'm rummaging through my picture file, check out this shot of Earl Strickland breaking the balls. Pretty cool! :p

JAM
 

Attachments

  • P6046836.JPG
    P6046836.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 396
JAM said:
ALLEN HOPKINS and EARL STRICKLAND!

They have experienced enough organizational mishaps in their pool-playing careers that I think they would know EXACTLY what to do to keep it straight.

Two Hall of Famers!

Allen definitely has the knowhow, but I doubt he has the time. :(

JAM
I absolutely agree with Allen, but Earl may have engendered too many enemies and detractors to fulfill that position. Also Earl hasn't demonstrated organizational skills as far as I know. For the second position, I would think somebody who has run a tour like Mike Zuglan.

Of course, we all think it is a pipedream.
 
JAM said:
Because if you knew Earl Strickland well, you would understand that he desires with all his being for pool to be successful in America, more so than me, and that's saying a lot! :D

JAM


Thats almost equivalent to Barry Bonds becoming Commissioner of Major League Baseball!

Damn JAM (I just wanted to say that:D ), doesn't pool have a bad enough reputation as is?
 
Johnnyt said:
If for some strange reason enough pro players sent in say $250 to start a National Tour, who would be a good choice to run it? You would need at least two names. You would need one for the Major Tour and one for the Minor Tour. Johnnyt

I vote for... Johnnyt!
 
Y'all can disagree with my choice, but believe you me, there is no one on the face of the earth who would like to see pool excel in the States than Earl Strickland. :)

Every tournament he plays in, the crowds draw near. Love him or hate him, he's an American champion who knows how to pack a house to the brim! That is why promoters like him when he is present at their events. :D

Unfortunately for Earl Strickland and American champions like him, this country does not seem to care about professional pocket billiard champions. We here on AzBilliards may represent about .00001 percent of mainstream America.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Earl would treat all players fair, and the organization would have transparency, as opposed to things being done behind closed doors and a ranking system that is not adhered to.

JAM
 
JAM -

I agree with you. You need someone that cares about the players and has a passion for the success of pool and Earl is that kinda guy. I do not think he would want the position however, as I believe he would still rather play. You could not have a playing commissioner. It would take away from his game or he would not pay enough attention to the Tour stuff and something could potentially go awry.
 
It may be true that Earls heart is in the right place, but what would he or anyone else bring to the table that would be new and innovative and in the best interest of Professional Billards? Same old tired story. KT came the closest so far.

Let's just through a new acronym on the title (i.e. UPA, BCA, WPA, APA, WPBA, ACS, VNEA, APA, TAP, DCC, etc.) and an entry fee of $250 and make it a new "tour".

What good would this do besides fragmenting the market even more? None, in my opinion. Someone, with ambition, true love for the sport and expecially not greed, needs to find a way to unite what we already have. This would be in the best interest of pool.
 
Last edited:
Memory recalls that Earl was the President of a professional pool organization. Didn't Earl & CJ start their own tour?....randyg
 
JAM said:
Because if you knew Earl Strickland well, you would understand that he desires with all his being for pool to be successful in America, more so than me, and that's saying a lot! :D

While I'm rummaging through my picture file, check out this shot of Earl Strickland breaking the balls. Pretty cool! :p

JAM

I have known him pretty well. That is how I based my opinion.

A lot of people have the "want to", but the "how to" is just as important.
 
JAM said:
... there is no one on the face of the earth who would like to see pool excel in the States than Earl Strickland.

JAM

I agree with your whole post but want to add 5 stars to the sentence I quoted from you. So very true.

I would pick Hopkins as #1. Look what he's done with The Super Billiard Expo. Also, he's been inovative in his thinking and is a legitimate force in pooldom now beacuse of all the connections he's established. Even the BCA seems to have finally accepted him and what he's done for pool.
Allen just seems to have that knack for putting innovative ideas together and making it work. One way or another, he seems firmly planted in pooldom right now and he's here to stay, which is good.

For #2, Earl would be a great choice. As much as he still loves pool, I believe he would put his heart & soul into trying to make this work. Earl can be the epitomy of a gentleman when he puts his mind to it. He also has a vision of pro pool ending up on the same level as the PGA someday, which is a very good goal to have as your target.

Jay Helfert, Mike Zuglan & Mike Janis were also good choices that have already been mentioned.

I would also stand behind Grady 100% should he ever want to be involved in something like this. With Grady, you got oodles of experience in promoting, playing and orginizing but you also will have something else. Grady has said on many occasion that "politics" in pool have kept him out of certain venues. I happen to be one of many who agree with him. So I also believe that if Grady were ever a part or parcel of this, he would have a 100% NO POLITICS policy that in effect, would level the playing field instead of who is connected to who.

JohnnyT, even if this never comes to fruition, this is still a great thread you got going. Very interesting premise indeed!
 
Terry Ardeno said:
I agree with your whole post but want to add 5 stars to the sentence I quoted from you. So very true.

I would pick Hopkins as #1. Look what he's done with The Super Billiard Expo. Also, he's been inovative in his thinking and is a legitimate force in pooldom now beacuse of all the connections he's established. Even the BCA seems to have finally accepted him and what he's done for pool.
Allen just seems to have that knack for putting innovative ideas together and making it work. One way or another, he seems firmly planted in pooldom right now and he's here to stay, which is good.

For #2, Earl would be a great choice. As much as he still loves pool, I believe he would put his heart & soul into trying to make this work. Earl can be the epitomy of a gentleman when he puts his mind to it. He also has a vision of pro pool ending up on the same level as the PGA someday, which is a very good goal to have as your target.

Jay Helfert, Mike Zuglan & Mike Janis were also good choices that have already been mentioned.

I would also stand behind Grady 100% should he ever want to be involved in something like this. With Grady, you got oodles of experience in promoting, playing and orginizing but you also will have something else. Grady has said on many occasion that "politics" in pool have kept him out of certain venues. I happen to be one of many who agree with him. So I also believe that if Grady were ever a part or parcel of this, he would have a 100% NO POLITICS policy that in effect, would level the playing field instead of who is connected to who.

JohnnyT, even if this never comes to fruition, this is still a great thread you got going. Very interesting premise indeed!

I have to agree with you about Grady. In fact, since he has the pool room business going, I do not think he will be as active on the tournament trail as in times gone by, which is a plus if he is available, ready, willing, and able to organize a legitimate "governing body of professional pool."

I know one thing for sure, he won't jump ship and take any benefits he may have received as a tour administrator in the United States, to an overseas country, leaving a struggling American tour to fend by itself.

Interestingly, if it were not for a telephone intervention by Grady Mathews, I would not be with Keith McCready today. I don't know whether I should kiss him or smack him! :D

JAM <---[Joking!]
 
Euroeeka!

catscradle said:
Also Earl hasn't demonstrated organizational skills as far as I know.


You're absolutely right there. :confused: I never thought about that...

Hey, wait a minute! In building this proto-typical pool commisioner and his able bodied staff, they are for sure going to need a secretary to help the guys get the ideas from their head into someone else's head without losing anything in translation.

So....who do we know who is world class with typing, has orginizational skills galore, inside knowlege and most of all, has to have a deep love for our great sport? Who would be the perfect secretary to help the guys put this all on paper? How about our very own JAM? :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: JAM
Terry Ardeno said:
You're absolutely right there. :confused: I never thought about that...

Hey, wait a minute! In building this proto-typical pool commisioner and his able bodied staff, they are for sure going to need a secretary to help the guys get the ideas from their head into someone else's head without losing anything in translation.

So....who do we know who is world class with typing, has orginizational skills galore, inside knowlege and most of all, has to have a deep love for our great sport? Who would be the perfect secretary to help the guys put this all on paper? How about our very own JAM? :)

No problem. I can convert the spoken word to print better than most.

However, it is the follow-through that is paramount here! :D

I do, however, volunteer my typing services and promise to type the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, as I always do! :p

JAM
 
JAM said:
Interestingly, if it were not for a telephone intervention by Grady Mathews, I would not be with Keith McCready today. I don't know whether I should kiss him or smack him! :D

JAM <---[Joking!]


Jennie,
Just shake his hand. If you kiss him, he's liable to write another book!:D
(Remember the title of his last book..."Bet High & Kiss Low"???) :eek:
:D :D :D

I love Grady tons. Just not like Randi does!:eek:
 
Terry Ardeno said:
Jennie,
Just shake his hand. If you kiss him, he's liable to write another book!:D
(Remember the title of his last book..."Bet High & Kiss Low"???) :eek:
:D :D :D

I love Grady tons. Just not like Randi does!:eek:

Actually, that reminds me of a recent news article I just read: http://information.travel.aol.com/a...lsec0145&icid=100214839x1200186865x1200007021

I think Jerry Forsyth and Mike Howerton, who are in Fujairah right now at the World 8-Ball Championship, ought to get every one of those 64 pool players together and have them all pose nude, holding their cue sticks like mighty warriors.

Man, the publicity would be GREAT for pool worldwide! :D

JAM
 
There is nobody more qualified than Mr. Jay Helfert.

The Dream Team would be:

Jay Helfert
Mark Griffin
Allen Hopkins
Mike Zuglan
Mike Janis
Myself
Fatboy (Eric Peterson)
bfdlad (Mark)
Grady Matthews

Imagine all of us combining our knowledge, insight, and passion while working towards one common goal for the good of the sport.

Pipe dream? Not at all. As long as I'm still breathing I remain positive and hopeful that this team can get together and our dreams can be realized.

I'm in...
 
Back
Top