Why aren't cue makers more adventurous or original in their designs?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong guys. Maybe there are technical challenges I'm unaware of. I dunno.

But why is every cuemaker in the world making cues with points and veneers? If I never see those features again I'd be fine.

There are so many sticks that look alike, and people are like "aww yeah wow that's a nice looking cue"... man, no it's not, it's a clone of 10,000 cues before it with a few subtle tweaks and expensive materials.

Don't get me started on the colors also. That's great you found a way to get real ivory into your cue without getting arrested, and it's so nice with the ebony and mother of pearl... those must have cost the lucky buyer a nice chunk of change. But how about you put some color in the cue besides black and white?

Can we stop trying to pretend these fell directly off a tree, and use bright pigments instead of 450 different shades of brown?

I'm not saying I want it to look like duplo plastic... but what's wrong with blue and green? Are you worried someone will think it's a low end Player brand or something?

This guy likes to experiment, I've always admired his cues. Even the ones with points. He's putting all sorts of stuff on a cue... snakes, flames, geometric designs. He had an old website where you could see a big gallery containing just about everything he ever made, and there were some wild experiments on there... matrix-style digital markings, something that looked like a city skyline, crossing dna-type spirals... Anyone have a link?

In the meantime, he has a facebook page... some of these are just amazing.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/421660_246545762087425_1727576071_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/302619_206981366043865_117539481_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/228940_165003390241663_1697418_n.jpg

I'm not even a cue guy, the only nice cue I ever owned was a gift, but I could IMAGINE being a cue guy if they put a little creativity into it.
 
Always thought the same way, but had my custom made in that time-old tradition of points, veneers and windows.

My next will be a butterfly, and if I feel the need for a third, it will be a box cue. Time to step away from tired and true.
 
Steampunk Cue: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279382

http://www.chuck-starkey-pool-cues.com/, check his photos


I would disagree about the lack of creativity. There is a great deal out there.

I am a big fan of old school cues, but I see and admire a lot of creativity.

I like Bebot's work, and admire it.

I also posted a couple of examples of others above.

If you want to see some creativity, go spend some time in the AZB gallery forum. Lots of pics to see, probably thousands to go through. I guarantee there are cues there that will knock your socks off no matter what your tastes.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10




.
 
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong guys. Maybe there are technical challenges I'm unaware of. I dunno.

But why is every cuemaker in the world making cues with points and veneers? If I never see those features again I'd be fine.

There are so many sticks that look alike, and people are like "aww yeah wow that's a nice looking cue"... man, no it's not, it's a clone of 10,000 cues before it with a few subtle tweaks and expensive materials.

Don't get me started on the colors also. That's great you found a way to get real ivory into your cue without getting arrested, and it's so nice with the ebony and mother of pearl... those must have cost the lucky buyer a nice chunk of change. But how about you put some color in the cue besides black and white?

Can we stop trying to pretend these fell directly off a tree, and use bright pigments instead of 450 different shades of brown?

I'm not saying I want it to look like duplo plastic... but what's wrong with blue and green? Are you worried someone will think it's a low end Player brand or something?

This guy likes to experiment, I've always admired his cues. Even the ones with points. He's putting all sorts of stuff on a cue... snakes, flames, geometric designs. He had an old website where you could see a big gallery containing just about everything he ever made, and there were some wild experiments on there... matrix-style digital markings, something that looked like a city skyline, crossing dna-type spirals... Anyone have a link?

In the meantime, he has a facebook page... some of these are just amazing.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/421660_246545762087425_1727576071_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/302619_206981366043865_117539481_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/228940_165003390241663_1697418_n.jpg

I'm not even a cue guy, the only nice cue I ever owned was a gift, but I could IMAGINE being a cue guy if they put a little creativity into it.

Take a look at Samsara. They have some unique designs on their cues.
 
I seem to recall a thread about this very subject, not that long ago....it led to a lot of people getting active in showing what they would like in a cue......what? That ended badly? Really? :grin::eek::smile:

I remember a guy on here a couple years ago that posted photos of stuff he had made, it was definetely different. I always said that if I fell into enough money, I would have him make me some cues...he got sick and I haven't seen him online since. I hope he's ok. Piercey Custom Cues, if I recall correctly.
 
Yeah, this subject has come up in the past and it's a good question.

I remember Piercyexclusive started a thread challenging the status quo and he certainly had what I thought were some beautiful new and different designs.

Here are some pics he put up of his work:

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php



He hasn't been on here in quite a while. IIRC, he went through some health issues that took him out of cue building for a time. Hope is is doing better and building cues again.
 
I believe cue makers make largely what is requested by their customers.

I like the old school look that's what I want and what I buy.

Thankfully I am not prohibited from getting what I want.

Find the right cue maker and you too can get what you want.
 
We're getting there.

Chuck: you definitely are on the right track for original materials. That pink curly maple and elk antler? Pretty cool.

Chop: THAT's what I'm talking about. That steampunk cue. It's hideous, but dammit... nobody else in the pool hall has it.

Legend: I'd only heard of them a little.
You ain't kidding.
What.
what?!
wow..
...and the prices are very reasonable. Nobody needs to know you only spent $25,000.


RealLife: Points, rings, and irish linen. Good thing Hendrix was around to keep me awake :)

DPP: That's pretty good. Still 50 Shades of Brown but I'd still want to own one.

3kushn: This one dieckmann cue is BUTT WILD. Does he have any pictures of finished cues with full varnish etc? These all look like they were used to dig up tomato plants.

Nobody's brought up the Watchez Cue yet.
 
I'll stick with the perfect blend that Keith Kustoms offer. Different lay out, ALOT of points. the cue on his main page is mine. He just finished one recently with 180 points. He uses NO computerized assistance or panto graphs, and some of the stuff he has done over the years has been very innovative. Plus his stuff hit's and plays great.

The other part of your equation is that is what people want to pay for. I've seen alot of the same design with some subtle changes. Cues are kind of like a T-bucket or a 32 ford. It's been done, time and time again, but you still appreciate one when executed correctly.


Best,

Justin
 
Back
Top