Why Dennis will Take Home the Cash!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott definitely has the knowledge advantage in this matchup, while Dennis gets the nod in the execution department. The problem with someone who can execute at the world class level like Dennis is -- he can somewhat nullify the knowledge gap by playing without a shot clock. Dennis plays one-pocket pretty slow and if he can study the table forever he will eventually find a shot. I think this is the major problem with one-pocket. The real beauty of the game shines through when a guy like Scott can step to the table and immediately see the shot and get on with it. It's not beautiful, but more like watching paint dry, when someone like Dennis come to the table and studies for 5 minutes only to shoot the shot most of us saw before he even got out of his chair.

So I don't think I read anywhere that there will be a shot clock.

No shot clock = Dennis wins.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Scott definitely has the knowledge advantage in this matchup, while Dennis gets the nod in the execution department. The problem with someone who can execute at the world class level like Dennis is -- he can somewhat nullify the knowledge gap by playing without a shot clock. Dennis plays one-pocket pretty slow and if he can study the table forever he will eventually find a shot. I think this is the major problem with one-pocket. The real beauty of the game shines through when a guy like Scott can step to the table and immediately see the shot and get on with it. It's not beautiful, but more like watching paint dry, when someone like Dennis come to the table and studies for 5 minutes only to shoot the shot most of us saw before he even got out of his chair.

Interesting take. I think he loses cause those multi rail banks don't go nearly enough on a tight table. Regular pro cut I think Dennis would win a race this long cause he'd get loose...I haven't seen Dennis make those tight table adjustments well in the past. Scott will routinely give him enough rope to hang himself.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Theres a difference between seeing 'the shot' and digesting the progression that the rack is tending to take. When robocop takes his time to make a decision, it makes me take a second look, because after all, I'm a participant on this forum, and not a pool player. I don't find any beauty in someone who steps up to the table and shoots immediately. I might even consider them ignorant.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Playing this style that you say about Dennis is the reason why he might lose. Playing with that type of intensity in a race to 40 could frazzle his mind and get him exhausted near the end.

Scott's style will help him preserve his mental energy for this long race. But then again I guess Dennis has the experience and endurance to play hard for long periods of time.

Either way this should be a great match up with two completely styles of play. Looking forward to it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Unless Dennis get's a quick sizable lead SF will squeeze him like a python. Knowledge is king. Knowledge with Scott's execution is Ace-King.

Scott 40-33.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Maybe Ace-Queen,,, if he is playing Alex.

Alex is a special dude and he knows how to tilt Scott. He knows what he is doing. Slow plays Scott and Scott knows it. When they played for 20K Alex made every pivotal shot. Scott made dozens that hung that would have swung the game.

Styles make fights. No excuses but Alex was red hot and accustomed to that table. Scott came in cold and got his balls shot off. Could have gone the other way but didn't.

Attachments

• Duran-Leonard930.jpg
    Duran-Leonard930.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,498

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I watched the match between Alex and Dennis at DDC on the badboys table. I have to say that even without a shot clock Dennis just made bad decisions. I will point out that when I say bad, I mean it at a world level.

Also, in the semi finals match with Alex you can see his lack of knowledge by a few of the shots he chose.

Looking forward to the match...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am also looking forward to this battle.

I give the nod to dennis. He has a button on the back of his head. 2 settings: on and off.

He has a sharpness that frost does not and as said more than once up in hrrr, execution can overcome a knowledge to a far greater degree than the lthet way around.

Dennis isnt pool retarded.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
If Dennis loses, it will be because of the biggest flaw in his open pocket game. I won't post it here cause I like Scott in the match :wink: but will after they are done playing.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting take. I think he loses cause those multi rail banks don't go nearly enough on a tight table. Regular pro cut I think Dennis would win a race this long cause he'd get loose...I haven't seen Dennis make those tight table adjustments well in the past. Scott will routinely give him enough rope to hang himself.

I actually think you touched on the one other area other than knowledge where I give the edge to Scott and that is all the 2 and 3 rail lag banks and kicks. He can lag a ball towards his hole as good if not better than anyone alive. But I think Dennis does just about everything else better -- if he can see the shot.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres a difference between seeing 'the shot' and digesting the progression that the rack is tending to take. When robocop takes his time to make a decision, it makes me take a second look, because after all, I'm a participant on this forum, and not a pool player. I don't find any beauty in someone who steps up to the table and shoots immediately. I might even consider them ignorant.

It's not ignorant when an 8 ball player can step to the table and immediately see the pattern. Nor is it ignorant when a straight pool player can bust open a rack and already see the road map to his next break ball. One-pocket is no different. The one-pocket aficionados tend to dismiss the idea of a shot clock. I think they do this to the game's detriment. One way to showcase one-pocket knowledge is by how quickly one can see the shot. I would love to see the game played with a 30 second shot clock. I think the knowledge aspect of the game would really stand out if played like this.

Playing this style that you say about Dennis is the reason why he might lose. Playing with that type of intensity in a race to 40 could frazzle his mind and get him exhausted near the end.

Scott's style will help him preserve his mental energy for this long race. But then again I guess Dennis has the experience and endurance to play hard for long periods of time.

Either way this should be a great match up with two completely styles of play. Looking forward to it.

I think you are forgetting that Dennis has spent his entire life playing pool from sun up till sun down -- playing all sorts of games and always with something on the line. He's still in the prime of his career. As long as the match is close -- fatigue will not play a factor. Heck Efren is just now showing signs of slowing down. These guys are practically trained to play long session matches. This will be no sweat for Dennis.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless Dennis get's a quick sizable lead SF will squeeze him like a python. Knowledge is king. Knowledge with Scott's execution is Ace-King.

Scott 40-33.

Alex is a special dude and he knows how to tilt Scott. He knows what he is doing. Slow plays Scott and Scott knows it. When they played for 20K Alex made every pivotal shot. Scott made dozens that hung that would have swung the game.

Styles make fights. No excuses but Alex was red hot and accustomed to that table. Scott came in cold and got his balls shot off. Could have gone the other way but didn't.

This is a knowledge vs. execution matchup. I've always favored the executioner. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I am also looking forward to this battle.

I give the nod to dennis. He has a button on the back of his head. 2 settings: on and off.

He has a sharpness that frost does not and as said more than once up in hrrr, execution can overcome a knowledge to a far greater degree than the lthet way around.

Dennis isnt pool retarded.

Yep -- I think it's that simple.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im also with dennis, think he will learn and get better during the match, also im pretty sure denis will be the better man when the pressure gets high!
hope it gets closer but about 40 - 30 denis is my guess

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis has a freakishly tight cue ball. If he wants pinpoint position, he'll get it. If he can keep his concentration and effort up, I can't seeing him losing.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does Scoot know???

Scott 40-33.
How much more does Scott know then Dennis at this point? 2 years ago sure, Scott was way ahead, but not now. Dennis has been schooled by the best and there nothing Scott can do that he hasn't seen.

Dennis plays better 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball, Straight Pool and Banks, there is nothing about any game that Scott knows more about, so as you said, Knowledge is King..,
Dennis wins.