Would You Still Gamble With This Guy?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His break was a foul. He gets all the breaks. See if he 3 fouls on the break.

But that's what you should have done. Now never play him again after you explain to him that you paid him with his own money

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
His break was a foul. He gets all the breaks. See if he 3 fouls on the break.

But that's what you should have done. Now never play him again after you explain to him that you paid him with his own money
Yeah in retrospect, I should have made him break until 3 balls hit a rail. He "might" have 3-fouled. But I didn't want to waste more time with those ridiculous breaks. So I just played the lame rack the way it was.

He definitely screwed himself out of more money. In fact, I was planning on selling him my BK Rush break cue for half price, but now he's going to lose out on that windfall too. Right now I let him use it to break during leagues. I prefer he just have his own break cue, so I was going to "help him out". But he's on his own now. LOL

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pretty lame.
I am reminded of when I watched Jennifer Chen getting the call eight in nine ball from a top NYC player back in about 2001. When he racked the eight ball on the corner, she called it in the corner into which it was wired and made it on the break. There had been no stipulation that the eight could not count on the break, so she claimed she'd won the rack as she had called it. Disgustedly, he let her claim the rack, but he unscrewed after one set, which he lost double hill.

In my view, exploiting the fact that trivial aspects of the rules generally go undiscussed is outside the spirit of the game, but there's some room for interpretation here.
I fail to see what Chen did wrong. If anything, her opponent got caught in his own trap. Racking the 8-ball where may it drop on the break would take away her spot ball if she didn’t call it.

I recall Cornbread giving the break and the call 7/8 at the Rack...guy always called one of them in the side.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I fail to see what Chen did wrong. If anything, her opponent got caught in his own trap. Racking the 8-ball where may it drop on the break would take away her spot ball if she didn’t call it.

I recall Cornbread giving the break and the call 7/8 at the Rack...guy always called one of them in the side.
Yeah, after Bob's post I realized that it wasn't rack your own. So the racker tried to get the 8 ball off the table. All she did was notice it was on the wing and call it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought of that. But the way those last 2 games worked out, all I could do was try my best to kick and hit the lowest ball. I had zero opportunities the way the balls were laid out to do much of anything. Maybe the next time I would get a good kick and safe him and then I'd be in control.

My main concern was him technically doing illegal breaks and me giving him all of the breaks. I never thought in a million years that someone could exploit that spot like that. I've never seen that come up ever before.
I think you should play by 9-ball rules..if a guy makes an illegal break, you get BALL IN HAND.
He’ll stop breaking like that real quick.
If you’re playing some form of ‘bar’ rules, I got nothing to say.

I had a one pocket player do a soft break on me in a tournament....I called John McChesney over and got the guy to explain what he’d done....when John told him it was an illegal break, he then said maybe enough balls hit a rail.
John told him it was too late to change his story....I got ball in hand and three-fouled him.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think you should play by 9-ball rules..if a guy makes an illegal break, you get BALL IN HAND.

I had a one pocket player do a soft break on me in a tournament....I called John McChesney over and got the guy to explain what he’d done....when John told him it was an illegal break, he then said maybe enough balls hit a rail.
John told him it was too late to change his story....I got ball in hand and three-fouled him.
We were playing what we thought were standard 10-ball rules. 3 balls need to hit a rail on the break. Call shot. If someone slops a ball in, the other player gets the option to shoot or pass it back. That's about all we clarified before the game. But the fact that he got all of the breaks means he could do an illegal break and the worst thing that could happen was he got to break again. I never could ever have foreseen that he would start soft breaking over and over, because nobody has EVER done that to me when gambling.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

McDermott tour or ,hell I just forgot the name of that tour ?😁🙂

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Pretty lame.
I am reminded of when I watched Jennifer Chen getting the call eight in nine ball from a top NYC player back in about 2001. When he racked the eight ball on the corner, she called it in the corner into which it was wired and made it on the break. There had been no stipulation that the eight could not count on the break, so she claimed she'd won the rack as she had called it. Disgustedly, he let her claim the rack, but he unscrewed after one set, which he lost double hill.

In my view, exploiting the fact that trivial aspects of the rules generally go undiscussed is outside the spirit of the game, but there's some room for interpretation here.
So I assume she was getting the call 8. If I was getting the call 8 I would call it every time I broke. I thought this was well known.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
McDermott tour or ,hell I just forgot the name of that tour ?😁🙂
Yes, it was the McDermott tour....Mentor, OH.....Charlie Brinson won the tournament...my buddy and I were in the last four....only time I saw Charlie win a tournament...I was happy for him...he’s a Scotty Townsend type character.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We were playing what we thought were standard 10-ball rules. 3 balls need to hit a rail on the break. Call shot. If someone slops a ball in, the other player gets the option to shoot or pass it back. That's about all we clarified before the game. But the fact that he got all of the breaks means he could do an illegal break and the worst thing that could happen was he got to break again. I never could ever have foreseen that he would start soft breaking over and over, because nobody has EVER done that to me when gambling.
Yeah, I was quoting the Texas Express rules...which I think are better...we always played 10-ball same rules as 9-ball.
...and a foul is a foul.
Old time rules were the game didn’t start until a legal break was made....I wouldn’t gamble that way...it was a deal breaker.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Most, if not all, the NYC tournaments that I played in during the 90s wouldn't count pocketing the handicap ball as a win, whether called or not, on the break...if it went in, it was spotted.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm just curious what everyone thinks of this gambling story that happened last night after leagues. I've been gambling with this teammate many times before after our leagues. Normally between $50 and $100 a set. Based on our preliminary Fargo Ratings, I'm supposed to play him with me going to 7 and him going to 6. However, I've beat him in the past playing 8-ball at 5-3 and he gets all the breaks, at 6-3 winner breaks, and at 9-5 and he gets all of the breaks. He beat me at 9-5 winner breaks once by 1 game, and a couple other times playing 10 ball at 9-5 with him getting the 9 ball.

So last night I was playing really good. I won all 3 of my games with 2 table runs. This guy won all 3 games, but made a few mistakes. Because I felt good I decided I would play him and give him a spot again. We played 10-ball with me going to 7 and him going to 5, he gets the 10 ball, and he gets all of the breaks for $50.

He gets up 3-1 (including the spot) and he decides that he's not going to break the balls anymore. He just slowly rolled the cue ball into the rack where only 1 or 2 balls hit the rail. He did it on purpose. (An illegal break). The first time he did it, I grabbed the cue ball so I could break. Then he reminded me that he gets ALL THE BREAKS. So he took ball in hand and kept playing safeties behind the rack so I had to keep kicking at the 1 ball until the balls were open enough for him to run out.

He did this the last 2 games until he got to 5 games and won. I was obviously protesting that it was a chicken sh!t move and he admitted that why should he break them open and if he doesn't make a ball, then I could run out and catch up. He then said that he will do whatever he needs to do to win.

Well, my conclusion was that I mainly am playing for the fun of it and it's not enjoyable to play with someone who would do that. It's just not "pool" to me at all with that type of illegal soft break. I basically told him that "he blew it". I was giving him huge spots giving him a really good chance to win, because he would never play 7-6 like Fargo Rate says. And then with a big spot, he had to pull that move on top of it. So I said I wouldn't be playing him anymore.

What do you say? I'm also curious on what everyone thinks could have been done with an illegal break (3 balls or more didn't hit the rail) and he was getting all of the breaks? I didn't make him re-break, because he could have just re-broke until only 3 balls hit a rail and I would be in nearly the same spot.
Are both his thumbs still functional? 🤔

I'd not gamble with him anymore, that's chicken shit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So I assume she was getting the call 8. If I was getting the call 8 I would call it every time I broke. I thought this was well known.
In my experience (which pretty much means in New York only), the spot ball had always spotted if made on the break unless stated otherwise. I have given a spot of "the seven wild on the break" and in that instance the seven counted on the break for the player getting the spot but it also stayed down if made by the player giving the spot. I had never heard of it played any other way.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Are both his thumbs still functional? 🤔

I'd not gamble with him anymore, that's chicken shit.
The dope actually thought that I was out of line telling him that I'm not playing with him anymore. He's like, you'll play again... Nope. I enjoy playing actual pool, not those chicken sh!t games.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apologies for the partial shift in topic but speaking of gambling after the league is over I knew a guy who was a decent player who would go 2 and out in tournaments so he could get into action with bangers who had gone 2 and out. Instead of continuing in the tournament and having to play other decent player he just robbed the bangers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We were playing what we thought were standard 10-ball rules. 3 balls need to hit a rail on the break. ...
Here is the applicable WSR section for 10-ball:

9.3 Legal Break Shot
The following rules apply to the break shot:
(a) the cue ball begins in hand behind the head string; and
(b) if no ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or the
shot is a foul. (See Regulation 17, Open Break Requirements.)​

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Apologies for the partial shift in topic but speaking of gambling after the league is over I knew a guy who was a decent player who would go 2 and out in tournaments so he could get into action with bangers who had gone 2 and out. Instead of continuing in the tournament and having to play other decent player he just robbed the bangers.
I was at the State Tournament about 6 years ago and I was practicing before my next match and a guy probably in his 50s asked me to play for $50 a game. I figured that since I had just run two racks in a row when he approached me, he must have been able to easily beat me. I declined.

I guess. As soon as he got home, he also sent a group text to our team saying that he kicked my @ss and I cried and now I won't play him anymore. He put a lot of funny faces and stuff like it was a joke. Then he texted just me and said, "Sorry bro, I couldn't resist".

I don't care that much. He's the one who blew future action with me and I was bending over backwards to give him a good game.
Come to an agreement on the rules before u start.can't agree find another opponent !

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
In my experience (which pretty much means in New York only), the spot ball had always spotted if made on the break unless stated otherwise. I have given a spot of "the seven wild on the break" and in that instance the seven counted on the break for the player getting the spot but it also stayed down if made by the player giving the spot. I had never heard of it played any other way.
That's interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing, although I played in NY from '91-'95 (for money, not tournaments) and don't remember the ball spotting on the break. I'm used to it being the opposite, i.e., if I'm getting the call 8 and make it on the break it counts unless stated otherwise. If I was gambling with someone and gave them the call 8 but I wanted the 8 to spot if they made it on the break I would let them know that before we played.

Reactions: sjm

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm thinking the soft break should favor you, esp if there's 100 fargo points between you. unless you're an big breaker and that's your biggest asset