• Open After Break

Votes: 100 48.8%
  • Take What You make

Votes: 105 51.2%

• Total voters

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I did this poll awhile back. I'm thinking at least a year ago. The response was in favor of open after the break. Since then we have had a chance to see several 8 ball sets on TAR with that rule. The game is a run out fest which I personally like but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

So here is a poll guaranteed to annoy everyone one way or another.

Please vote up top for :

Open after break.

Take what you make.

(My version of take what you make is that if you make a ball of each group its open no matter how many of each group you make. If you make two solids you are solids obviously. But if you make two solids and a stripe its open.)

Please no suggestions of "Run em in order" or any other crazy variations on the game.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(My version of take what you make is that if you make a ball of each group its open no matter how many of each group you make. If you make two solids you are solids obviously. But if you make two solids and a stripe its open.)

Should just make it that you are whatever you make the most of. That way making 2 stripes and 1 solid still makes you take stripes. Take what you make, to the extrememe. This isn't a tourney. This is an exhibition of two pros, this is isn't a gaffe rule. They will be fine.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted take what you make.

And I know you said no other crazy suggestions, but you should make them bank every other ball, behind their back, blindfolded.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I originally voted for open after the break the first time you guys did 8 ball, but after watching a few I changed my mind to take what you make. I like the runouts, but what I really like seeing is some of the more strategic 8 ball thrown in too. I think we'll get that in the take what you make format, and we'll probably get to see some really sick runouts too.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take what you make. Might result in more strategic play instead of runnouts. We know the pros can runnout. The strategy of having to take the suit you made might be more interesting and educational.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm in the "Take What You Make" crowd as well. In the old days that was the only way we played Eight Ball. If you make both a stripe(s) and solid(s), then it's an open table. These guys are way too good to let them shoot at an open table every time they make a ball on the break. :rolleyes:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I typically favor open after the break, but after having watched several of these run out fests I would like to see how they play in a take what you make format.

I think along with the make them bank every other ball, behind their back, blindfolded the other shots should rotate between the highest and lowest numbered balls on the table and they can only use the side pockets.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm in the "Take What You Make" crowd as well. In the old days that was the only way we played Eight Ball. If you make both a stripe(s) and solid(s), then it's an open table. These guys are way too good to let them shoot at an open table every time they make a ball on the break. :rolleyes:

I don't know where this choice after break came from. Sounds like banger rules. What was the rule on the IPT? Johnnyt

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I don't know where this choice after break came from. Sounds like banger rules. What was the rule on the IPT? Johnnyt

I believe the IPT rule was open after the break during their tournaments, but when they later held challenge matches it went to take what you make. Also, since they were playing with slower nap cloth the balls weren't always as open.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

That's how I feel.....'take what you make'......banger rules.

I like 'open table' and 'last pocket'

But let me get this straight....players want less luck in 10-ball....and more luck in 8-ball.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. 8 ball is quite boring to watch at this level of play. These guys hardly, if ever, miss in a match of 8 ball. The only way the tide turns is if somebody breaks dry. At least this will make it more challenging- but also somewhat more based on luck. I've seen it happen that a guy makes 2-3 balls of stripes or solids on the break, but has no viable shot on his own balls but the other balls are easily runable. In fact, guys at this level probably shouldn't even play 8 ball.