What happened to Deanoc?

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mistakes? It was no mistake when he knowingly lied, when he stated that Jack Potter built those cues. The cues were a complete fraud.
Ah the unforgiving youth... I can only hope you apply the same standard to everything you do. And yes, mistakes can be made both knowingly and unknowingly. There are many ethical dilemmas that cannot be resolved by Kant's categorical imperative

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yes his behavior was within the borders of ok
I can safely cross you off the list of cuebuilders I would ever do business with.

Dean's behavior was not ok - deceiving people is NOT ok, and anybody who thinks so has no morals at all.

BTW, I like Dean and his post's, but he screwed up bigtime on this.

I'm not one to think this one instance defines a person, but his actions weren't acceptable.

I know Dean loved posting here and it really bothers me that he won't just own up to the mistake and get back to posting. Although some will hold it over his head till he dies and beyond.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Here is what is missing from this discussion. (If I missed it, sorry.)

If one commits a criminal offense, say fraud, it is an offense against society as a whole, not just the victim. This is why "the State" is always the prosecuting party: State of Miss. v Biloxi Boy, or U S v Biloxi Boy. Victims may have rights, but society drives the train.

Here, Dean's actions were an affront to this entire community, not just folks who actually bought a Jackpot. Initially, we were all targets of his deceit. Further, how much time and energy has been collectively expended by this forum on Dean and Jackpots? (We could have been discussing cues or tables all this time.) How many virtual, or real, friendships/relationships have been affected by the fallout?

It is time, for our benefit, to finally lay this s*(@ show to rest and quit fouling ourselves and our virtual world. Dean is not going to man up. Everyone is not going to agree, although I perceive a significant consensus -- which is both reassuring and comforting. In a virtual world, this is as good as it gets. The court of public opinion is all we have.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your post proves that you know nothing about Schmelke Cues. I used to feel the same way you did...until I made a trip to the factory, with Mark Wilson, Jerry Briesath and a dozen wide-eyed young players eager to learn. This was almost 30 years ago. That trip completely changed my opinion and outlook on Schmelke. I bet you weren't aware that every cue goes through a 100-step process, whether it costs $50 or $300. These are quality cues, made in the USA. I certainly disagree with trying to market them as something else, but Schmelke makes a fine cue, for very little money...and you can have it made anyway you wish.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
Both my shafts warped in a little over a year. They must have skipped a step or two on mine.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just wondering if Dean is considered to have defrauded people here, shouldn't the same be said of Jack?
this is a good question. When the Jackpot deception threads were blowing up I saw that Jack was logging on every morning but not posting any more. I suggested on at least one of the related threads that he should chime in to give his side of what went on. He didn't.

I also pm'd him a couple times and I know he read them. They were polite and first asked about how his wife was and then suggested again that he give his side of what happened with the Jackpot cues. He didn't respond but did keep logging on daily.

My personal feeling is that Jack was placed in a very awkward spot by Dean but with that said, I do believe there had to be at least some participation by Jack in the deception, even if that part was not speaking up to clarify what was true and what wasn't. Some speculation here but it's what I think. And I do sincerely hope Jack and his wife are doing well.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can safely cross you off the list of cuebuilders I would ever do business with.

Dean's behavior was not ok - deceiving people is NOT ok, and anybody who thinks so has no morals at all.

BTW, I like Dean and his post's, but he screwed up bigtime on this.

I'm not one to think this one instance defines a person, but his actions weren't acceptable.

I know Dean loved posting here and it really bothers me that he won't just own up to the mistake and get back to posting. Although some will hold it over his head till he dies and beyond.

Are you never going to make a bet with me in the action room too because I don't think what Dean did is the end of the world? Are you never going to buy a sandwich from a shop owner who has different political leanings than you? Pretty harsh stand imo.

JC

Coos Cues

I own an auto repair shop as my main income. We are on a very busy street. 10,000 cars drive by every day that we will never service. Yet we are booked up one to two weeks for the last 20 years.

I will no more miss them than I will your cue business. I can't build enough cues for it to matter but thank you for your encouragement!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't think anyone said what Dean was doing was okay, but maybe some of us are thinking that if Dean is sending the proceeds to a fellow forum member in need of cash due to his wife being hospitalized then we might could give him a break on this one. I do hope Jack's wife is okay, I haven't heard anything from Jack in awhile either.

I get that, but as I remember it the illness came up well after the "project" started.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9ballscorpion

OK.

The rules say you can only have one account with one name.

Your one account was banned.

You created a new account in order to skirt the rules...multiple times.

You are a fraud account.

You are posting as though you are a different person.

You are a fraud.

Not true. I am posting under a different User ID. That is all. Fraud would be me stealing a check from someone's mail box, forging their signature, and trying to cash that check. That type of stuff is Fraud.

And you are comparing what I have done to what Dean did to customers? Oh, wait, you do not believe that Dean did anything wrong.

9ballscorpion

You used at least a half dozen different usernames in under an hour when you had your last meltdown.

Your antics are epic. How can you have forgotten so soon? Nobody else has.

Lol, I swear to you, I never used more then 1 user ID at a time. You only seen me posting under a new user ID after the last one was banned. Well, I was just trying to defend myself from things said about me that I thought to be untrue or wrong.

9ballscorpion

Ah the unforgiving youth... I can only hope you apply the same standard to everything you do. And yes, mistakes can be made both knowingly and unknowingly. There are many ethical dilemmas that cannot be resolved by Kant's categorical imperative

Many people are narcissists, and they do not have the ability to know when they have done something wrong, or feel bad about what they have done, or to ever say sorry for anything that they did that was wrong. I am not perfect, but at least I am not that type of person.

I would never try to deceive someone though, and as dirt poor as I have always been, I have never attempted to do any type of Fraud, like attempting to put someone else's name on a cue that they did not build.

Dean clearly stated that the cues were being built by Jack Potter, and used that as a selling point to sell the cues.

He is a great story teller, and a great salesman. Just not ethical.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
1st impressions are everything. I remember them from when I was a kid in the 90's, and I was not impressed with the quality. The very opposite actually.

I have played with a few customs that were made using Schmelke blanks, and they hit really nice.

Lol, I swear to you, I never used more then 1 user ID at a time. You only seen me posting under a new user ID after the last one was banned. Well, I was just trying to defend myself from things said about me that I thought to be untrue or wrong.

what other usernames have you used

( I was SPARTACUS)

9ballscorpion

Are you never going to make a bet with me in the action room too because I don't think what Dean did is the end of the world? Are you never going to buy a sandwich from a shop owner who has different political leanings than you? Pretty harsh stand imo.

Are you really comparing political beliefs to committing Fraud?

9ballscorpion

I own an auto repair shop as my main income. We are on a very busy street. 10,000 cars drive by every day that we will never service. Yet we are booked up one to two weeks for the last 20 years.

I will no more miss them than I will your cue business. I can't build enough cues for it to matter but thank you for your encouragement!

You sound like a very pompous and narcissistic type of person.

Let me get something straight though. You do not believe what Dean did was wrong?