Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This is a 100% correct statement. It was 608. Mosconi also ran 586 without missing and quit and went to dinner. He was 66 years old when he did this in 1979 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC the day before he played Minnesota Fats on ABC wide world of sports
He didn't quit. He missed. Take him off your pedestal for a minute and do some research.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coo-coo cowboy.
1616159596040.gif

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quoted the posts, lou.

Please don't feign an inability to connect the dialog.

I’m not feigning anything.

It’s not clear to me what line you’re attempting to draw. If you don’t want to clarify that’s fine by me, Walter.

Lou Figueroa

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The higher the 14.1 run, the level of skill required progresses logarithmically.

IOWs, because you can run 100, does not mean you can run 200. If you can run 300, it does not mean you can run 400, and so on.

Lou Figueroa

Lou that is ridiculous!

Of course you can run 200 if you are a hundred ball runner (if you have the time).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou that is ridiculous!

Of course you can run 200 if you are a hundred ball runner (if you have the time).

Almost any player can run a couple of racks but cannot run 50.

50 ball runners often say their goal is to run 100 but despite years of effort some never make it to the century mark. World champions have run over 300 but cannot get to 400.

So IMO it’s not a matter of time or effort, it’s just harder and takes more knowledge snd skill. The difficulty factor goes up exponentially the higher the number.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

It’s funny, Mosconi always acted like he didn’t ever enjoy playing pool and only did it because he had to do it to earn a living for him and his family, hence his famous comment “I’d no sooner play pool in my spare time than a head waiter would come in a wait tables on his day off!’

Who knows hoe good he would have been if he REALLY liked the game!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Meh, I'm not doing my day job duties in my free time either. who knows how badass a machinist and programmer I could be if I REALLY liked my job.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It’s funny, Mosconi always acted like he didn’t ever enjoy playing pool and only did it because he had to do it to earn a living for him and his family, hence his famous comment “I’d no sooner play pool in my spare time than a head waiter would come in a wait tables on his day off!’

I don't think Mosconi enjoyed playing with modern equipment, I believe hid did like to hit Irish potatoes with broomsticks though.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou that is ridiculous!

A million percent untrue. The only exception would be a legit touring pro player who played only 9 ball his whole life, and just started playing straight pool 2 weeks ago.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Almost any player can run a couple of racks but cannot run 50.

50 ball runners often say their goal is to run 100 but despite years of effort some never make it to the century mark. World champions have run over 300 but cannot get to 400.

So IMO it’s not a matter of time or effort, it’s just harder and takes more knowledge snd skill. The difficulty factor goes up exponentially the higher the number.

Lou Figueroa
Exactly. I see straight pool as the ultimate percentage game. The more racks you play, the more likely you are to run into shots, patterns, positions or break shots that are out of your wheelhouse. For example, a player can run 50 balls but struggle with end patterns and break shots because they only need to get through 3 successful break shots. But the likelihood of this person getting through 7 successful break shots is low unless they get a great run of luck. Ultimately, you can't hope to run 200 while having holes in your game. And while you can get a string of racks with ready-made break shots and unpunished mistakes, over 14ish racks you will have tricky layouts, difficult breakshots and eventually, bad decisions will have run-ending consequences.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almosr any player can run a couple of racks but cannot run 50.

Lou Figueroa

I understand. I ran eighty in a match within my first two years pl
A million percent untrue. The only exception would be a legit touring pro player who played only 9 ball his whole life, and just started playing straight pool 2 weeks ago.

Right! I completed in a few straight pool events (and I am an ok player at best). Within the first two years I had many 50, 60 ball runs and then an eighty during a match.

Many people I completed with ran 100 plus several times over the course of a couple years.

Then everyone in my area stopped playing straight pool.

I know that any true A level player can run 80-120 balls on a standard (non pro pocket) table every few weeks if playing straight pool daily. I have seen it!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I believe you are confusing two different runs.

Lou Figueroa
You may be right. It read like it was the one in Ohio and meant to type 526, but I guess he could have meant the 600+ run or some other practice 586. I don't even know why I post in this thread any more. We are all just talking to ourselves.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not feigning anything.

It’s not clear to me what line you’re attempting to draw. If you don’t want to clarify that’s fine by me, Walter.

Lou Figueroa
The "run" referred to 526 and the marketing was to your comment about marketing...as in Brunswick's establishment of 526 as a record was HUGELY for marketing purposes.

The army buddy comment referred to the statement you made about a player asking 'why he don't show it', and also to the establishment of military review as a standard necessary for cliam support made multiple times here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There must have been a time when he had passion along with the talent. That was one bad dude and no way anybody gets that good reluctantly.

Work is a four letter word and accounts of his later years indicates he figured that out.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be right. It read like it was the one in Ohio and meant to type 526, but I guess he could have meant the 600+ run or some other practice 586. I don't even know why I post in this thread any more. We are all just talking to ourselves.

Hahah. No shit.

We should get some beers and tables and shift our focus to phenolics.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Right, Mosconi did not love the game, it was just a means to an end.

That led to his fierce desire to win.

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.