What order to shoot the stripes with ball in hand?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Easy, I first asked in the OP was it a left handed shooter.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15,11 ,13 ,14 ,10
11 to the 13 could be a little risky with the 3 ball there, forcing you to cut it close or leave more of an angle on the 13 which would not only make for a harder shot but also make positioning on the 14 a little tougher, in which case I guess you could switch up and play the 10 first and save the 14 to set up the 8, which would also work.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
11 to the 13 could be a little risky with the 3 ball there, forcing you to cut it close or leave more of an angle on the 13 which would not only make for a harder shot but also make positioning on the 14 a little tougher, in which case I guess you could switch up and play the 10 first and save the 14 to set up the 8, which would also work.
...again, The problem here isn't playing shape on the 13 from the 11. It's the assumption that the 13 is going to be potted in the side pocket nearest the 5.
Screenshot from 2023-06-01 09-51-43.png

I'd personally opt to shoot the 13 in the corner. ...but I also reap the benefit have having an option to shoot it in the bottom side pocket if I over run my shape.

The 3 ball is a complete non-factor in this pattern to the 13. You can upgrade that to a total non-factor throughout the rack, if the key ball is either the 10 or 14.

WobblyStroke

...again, The problem here isn't playing shape on the 13 from the 11. It's the assumption that the 13 is going to be potted in the side pocket nearest the 5.
View attachment 702251
I'd personally opt to shoot the 13 in the corner. ...but I also reap the benefit have having an option to shoot it in the bottom side pocket if I over run my shape.

The 3 ball is a complete non-factor in this pattern to the 13. You can upgrade that to a total non-factor throughout the rack, if the key ball is either the 10 or 14.
Cornerman guided me to the same conclusion the other day. 2 rails from 11 to 13 has to be the absolute safest way to play the 11 to 13. This is my new 2nd fav pattern since you knocked the 13 last down a notch earlier lol. 13 first just suits my eye and still #1.

Cuedup

I believe the ball(s) in the middle could be the biggest problem. I guess its all about perspective. Would you mind posting a video of you running the pattern your way? I think we all should do that so we can get a better idea of why a player wants to play it that way.
There's no need.

The suggested patterns are fine. As I stated , any competent player can get out starting with any of the balls.

The attempt at humor was completely lost. I see that few here have ever rolled their eyes as their teammate "took the easy ball in the middle".

Lighten up guys. It wasn't an attack.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 702251

I agree this is a better play than going for the 13 in the top side off the 11, by a good margin.

My issue with it is if you overrun your shape for the corner just a little you're left either moving away from the 14 or going to the lower side and possibly running into the 5 and moving it into the way of the 14...or trying to avoid the 5 and having a tougher time getting shape on the 14. I just feel the target area to land the cue is pretty small to have it work out easily.

The area to get on the 14 from the 11 and have a good shot to get on the 10 is huge, so many ways you could play that.

This is also my current second favorite approach I think. But for me, the 13 first is still the safest approach to an out and the one that just suits my eye and stroke.

dquarasr

Registered
I tried it yesterday shooting the 15 first, but I had trouble getting from the 11 to the 13, as others have pointed out. Crossing the shot line on the 13 made it really difficult to judge exact speed to get on the 13 with a good line to the 14 that would allow a shot to the 15. So I gave up on 15 first.

I just tried 13 first. When I made the 14 I came too far off the rail so I didn't have a clear shot at the 15; I ran about 1/4 ball too far.

Surprisingly (for me!), I made the 10-15 combo and got out.

Not the way to do it but it is much easier to control the 13-14 shape, then 14-15 shape than going 11-13 if starting with the 15.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no need.

The suggested patterns are fine. As I stated , any competent player can get out starting with any of the balls.

The attempt at humor was completely lost. I see that few here have ever rolled their eyes as their teammate "took the easy ball in the middle".

Lighten up guys. It wasn't an attack.
I'm only asking because I want to get better at communicating with strangers, but what about my last post gave you the idea I felt attacked?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
true but also the 13 has 3 possible pockets to go to after the 11
if i couldnt end up good on one of those id have to take 2 weeks off and quit lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My issue with it is if you overrun your shape for the corner just a little you're left either moving away from the 14 or going to the lower side and possibly running into the 5 and moving it into the way of the 14...or trying to avoid the 5 and having a tougher time getting shape on the 14. I just feel the target area to land the cue is pretty small to have it work out easily.
Sure..., of course in the 15, 11, 13 starting pattern. You still have both the 10 and 14 to bail out the small odds of coming up silly on the 13. Keep in mind my pattern choice has the 14 as the key ball. Not the 10...
The area to get on the 14 from the 11 and have a good shot to get on the 10 is huge, so many ways you could play that.
Sure but your navigating around both the 3 and 5 to reach the 14 from the 11. Hazards that don't need to be introduced.
But for me, the 13 first is still the safest approach to an out and the one that just suits my eye and stroke.
To each there own. I prefer the 13 first versus last approach. With my skill set I'd probably make the 13 key ball the last choice. Followed closely by the 13 first.

What makes these threads great, is there's really no 'wrong' answer. Just opinions from those who weigh their own abilities against the choices of others.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this has been a great thread
my first post was a knee jerk assesment and plan
i did run out the first time i tried it that way (blind squirrel found an acorn...😂)
i did have to go 2 rails out of the left corner as cornerman suggested in his early post
since my line was good but landed alittle short so i couldnt hold the cueball
for those who question the 11 to the 13 in the side
i practice making the cue ball go perpendicular off a rail when shooting a ball near the rail
so i then have a gauge if i have 1/2/3 diamonds from perpendicular
so for me the 11 to the 13 is not that hard (i dont think i would be close to the grey line one poster put up)
i like jv's thinking about the various options of where to play the 13 are good and i didnt think of them...thats why he plays way better than me
again i didnt think of that in my quick assesment
my first glance did not have me think of the 13 first
its a good option but i found when i tried it the first few times
it was easy to have a shot on the 15 but my speed was alittle off and the angle to have a good angle/shot for the 11 was tough
once i dialed it in the rest of the run out was easier than my first choice
but it took a few tries
i also didnt think of the 14 as a key to the 8 and i see why its a viable option
but i still like the 10 as my key ball
even though its not my thread
thanks to all who posted their shot choices and why
(y)

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
it was easy to have a shot on the 15 but my speed was alittle off and the angle to have a good angle/shot for the 11 was tough
once i dialed it in the rest of the run out was easier than my first choice
but it took a few tries
If only there was a rule set that allowed a few do-overs within a rack ;)
i also didnt think of the 14 as a key to the 8 and i see why its a viable option
but i still like the 10 as my key ball
The 10 'key ball' seems more intuitive because of it's close proximity to the 8. The reality though is you can very simply hit that 10 ball badly and end up with either no shot or one with high risk of a sewer. That's a non-issue with playing the 14 last. That said, you are relying on potting ability. All players have stronger potting then they do CB control.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If only there was a rule set that allowed a few do-overs within a rack ;)
AINT THAT THE TRUTH.......😂

The 10 'key ball' seems more intuitive because of it's close proximity to the 8. The reality though is you can very simply hit that 10 ball badly and end up with either no shot or one with high risk of a sewer. That's a non-issue with playing the 14 last. That said, you are relying on potting ability. All players have stronger potting then they do CB control.
you convinced me....(y)
i guess i feel more accurate with small area position than going more distance
but the "zone " to have a reasonable shot on the 8 from the 14 is huge

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting thread. Analyzing is great when we have the time to think. In the actual game situation, the analysis may put doubt in your mind thereby decreasing shot success. Thanks to the OP for showing we need to practice analysis. Bring it on....

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I suck at 8 ball but I would roll the 13 in the bottom side pocket with just enough speed to clear the 3. Then pocket the 15 and let the cue ball go across table and shoot the 11 in the same pocket as the 15. The 11 is almost center table so playing position on that side of the 11 is as easy as playing for position on this side of the table. From there getting on the 10 or 14 is simple and you can shoot which ever one of those you choose and then use the other one as your position on the 8.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing for shape in the 13th
View attachment 702251

Playing for shape for the 13 in the far corner as you’ve shown on your diagram is certainly a lot riskier if you’re playing on a Diamond 9’ vs a Diamond 7’. On the big table, everything changes in terms of difficulty on longer shots - in which case you are trying to keep shots as easy as absolutely possible, generally playing balls in the pockets they are closest to. At least that is my thought process.

Although the original post doesn’t mention what size table it is, the size of the balls in relation to the table makes me think it’s most likely a 9 foot table, which certainly does change how I might approach this run out pattern versus a 7 foot table.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

View attachment 702251

Yeah, try for the corner, if you overrun a bit, you still have the other side. Easy peasy, it just requires top or top running when shooting the eleven. Take care of the cluster first and it's all paint-by-numbers.