Once again Earl shows his lack of class, what a disgrace

billychips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the overcome part you're missing--- unless the meds are right--- that card's not in the deck, unfortunately. It's no different than a tick or a stutter - it's uncontrollable. It's like telling a chronically depressed person to just get over it and stop crying and be a man/woman and overcome it. They often can't help it no matter what (I know because I dated a girl like that... she cried for 6 months STRAIGHT--- no joke).

I'm sure he's on meds-- he's said so on camera before. This often takes years and years to get right (if it ever gets right). Some people can pop a pill and it stabilizes them or they have to take a cocktail of pills to get it right and there are hundreds of options.

So, in my opinion, it's a handicap. It's no different than SVB being deaf or Putnam with his diabetes. It's something he has to deal with (and something we as fans should grow more sensitive to). It really isn't any different than calling a deaf person a retard because they can't speak clearly. His actions are bad- but he doesn't "WANT" to be that way.

I don't wanna get cornered into this thread as a blind Earl defender... I'm just saying people are under the assumption he can control his actions and that he's a child for acting out. He can't and he's not. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough> Instead of endless hours of debate on Earl, I am going to go get my meds right and try to drink a 100 beers.

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even the updated scores website has had a mental breakdown since earl lost his match it wont let you get on and is slow about telling you access denied!

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
That has got to be the dumbest post I have ever read on these boards. And I was hear when Fast Larry was posting.

I've seen dumber. How about the one where the guy posted pictures of his puppy in the main forum?

Or how about the time the guy in NPR talked about politics?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. His actions are bad- but he doesn't "WANT" to be that way.

Well maybe you are right but when Earl has time to reflect on his behavior, he never or perhaps super rarely ever says "Damn i was out of line last night, i want to apologize" Rather than that he will continue to justify his behavior. That is the norm for Earl.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
how did that affect the sex? Positive or negative?

That's a good question - there wasn't any. She wasn't that way when I first dated her. I dated her for 2 years before the mega meltdown started. For me, it was too much like having sex with a patient... and not a person. I did what most good guys would do--- I sweated it out until I had to tap out.

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not here to defend Earl.

But I have noticed that many very very competitive players will be hard on themselves and throw a tantrum if they don't live up to their own expectations. Of course how bad a tantrum, is another story. We all get disappointed with our game at times, How we express those feeling is what makes a good sportsman. As I get older I am not kind to myself when I mess up. But I try not to make a scene. In fact I try my best to carry a poker face win or lose.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be disappointed to see him represent the USA in the Mosconi Cup.

There are so many players that I think deserve a shot, and presents the US team in a positive light.

JMO

Ken

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
ok

Well I am sure I will get bashed over this BUT anyone who really
is a winner is not ever going to be happy about losing . The closer
you get to the door of victory the more it stings when it slams shut
on ya. Maybe Earl just cares more than most and has not learned to
manage the emotion that comes behind an upset or loss as good as
some of these other outstanding role models .
I personally have been upset for two days once over losing a leauge
match....yeah believe me, I did not feel real bright about it but I did it.
Can you even imagine what it must feel like to being that close to being
a 6 time US open champion and see it just out of your reach ....well I can't
no one really can , other than Earl .This thread needs an enema :(

Last edited:

El Diablo

Registered
Here's My Take

For those of you that keep saying Earl should take his meds, I don't think there is much he could take. If I had to guess, he probably suffers from some level of narcissistic personality disorder (npd). There really isn't a treatment for it. Therapy can help, but most with the disorder don't stay in treatment long enough to make any progress.

How would I know? I don't for sure, but I believe I have npd and some of his actions lead me to believe he probably does as well. Again, I don't know Earl, so it's just a guess. I'm throwing it out there in the hope that maybe even reading about it will help people to at least understand his actions and sympathize. One thing though, a npd person will not change their actions as long as there are no real consequences, so I believe it would be more help for him in the long run to be banned for some period from competing if his actions don't change.

As for me, I am hoping to be able to change myself for the better. Most with npd just get worse with age. Most people around someone with npd don't realize that it's a mental condition and just take it as the person is an a-hole. Believe me, it's a very real disorder.

Anyway, wish me luck,

El Diablo

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you that keep saying Earl should take his meds, I don't think there is much he could take. If I had to guess, he probably suffers from some level of narcissistic personality disorder (npd). There really isn't a treatment for it. Therapy can help, but most with the disorder don't stay in treatment long enough to make any progress.

How would I know? I don't for sure, but I believe I have npd and some of his actions lead me to believe he probably does as well. Again, I don't know Earl, so it's just a guess. I'm throwing it out there in the hope that maybe even reading about it will help people to at least understand his actions and sympathize. One thing though, a npd person will not change their actions as long as there are no real consequences, so I believe it would be more help for him in the long run to be banned for some period from competing if his actions don't change.

As for me, I am hoping to be able to change myself for the better. Most with npd just get worse with age. Most people around someone with npd don't realize that it's a mental condition and just take it as the person is an a-hole. Believe me, it's a very real disorder.

Anyway, wish me luck,

El Diablo

sounds like just being egotistical and the medical word made a term for it just so they could make more money like they do for a lot of other things....

meditation, get into it.

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like just being egotistical and the medical word made a term for it just so they could make more money like they do for a lot of other things....

meditation, get into it.

You might be dead on, who knows.

El Diablo

Registered

meditation, get into it.

It is being egotistical, but I think it's on another level. You are probably right about them labeling it just to make money because there are all sorts of types and nobody fits entirely into one container.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still a good run

I would have liked to see him finish it out, but it was still good to see him playing well. Not bad for an old guy!

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there and Earl did rake the balls. He did not play well and did give up before he raked the balls in the few games before that game...he felt he wasn't getting any rolls and knew he wasn't shooting up to his standards. I saw nothing out of disrespect towards charley during there match and he looked like he was ready to cry when scott was asking for applause and was totally ashamed of his perfomance and didnt want any applause. He was acually showing feelings and if there was a hole in the floor after he missed the 2 ball he would have crawled in to it. He's not right, but its sad to see so many kick a man when he's down. So many comment on his issues but I would be willing to bet they have some of there own,difference is there not under the microscope like earl.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
med's

I am always amazed at those whose solution is just take medication and then try to beat the best in the world. There is no way to both be medicated at an effective level to control his issues and to be able to compete at the highest level.

Earl has a choice, he can take medications or he can compete effectively. It his highly unlikely that he can do both. At times it seems he can do neither but taking medications guarantees that he won't compete at his best.

Hu

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am always amazed at those whose solution is just take medication and then try to beat the best in the world. There is no way to both be medicated at an effective level to control his issues and to be able to compete at the highest level.

Earl has a choice, he can take medications or he can compete effectively. It his highly unlikely that he can do both. At times it seems he can do neither but taking medications guarantees that he won't compete at his best.

Hu

It is hard to understand the effects of this type of medical malady requiring medication.

Roy Orbison didn't want to receive medical treatment for his heart. He needed it, but he couldn't deal with taking the medical treatment.

It was his choice. He died.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When you're gambling in your home poolroom with onlookers that have paid no admission charge, you can concede any time you like.

In pro sports, however, no matter how lightly you rate your chances at any point in competition, you don't quit because paying fans are entitled to better.

1. Should a baseball team down 11 runs entering the bottom of the ninth concede? There is not a single such comeback on record n the annals of the game.

2. Last Sunday, the Tennesse Titans trailed the New England Patriots 59-0 after the third quarter? Would it have been OK if they just conceded rather than completing the game?

3. Does a tennis player down two sets, 5-1, and 30-0 to Federer concede?

The answers are no, no and no, and it's not a quesiton of the probability of winning, it's simply a matter of professionalism.

Pool players, and Earl Strickland in particular, act less professionally than their counterparts in other sports, and it's not something that helps the image of the sport we all love.