Black Pool Players Matter

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie Munson, Milwaukee Wi. The gentleman I purchased a Hoppe from said it was used many times playing Willie.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m curious what your definition of champion is regarding your comment on Cisero Murphy. Kenny Brisbon is a champion in my books.

https://poolplayers.com/brisbon-wins-u-s-amateur-championship/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kenny is real good bar box player. I was on his 8 ball team before I gave up bar boxes. I’ve woofed at him a number of times to play some 1P to no avail. John Binion is a few balls better especially on a big table.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kenny is real good bar box player. I was on his 8 ball before I gave up bar boxes. I’ve woofed at him a number of times to play some 1P without to no avail. John Binion is a few balls better especially on a big table.

Everybody loves John. Such a great energy.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this thread is best served honoring and recognizing players of color for their outstanding achievements and not necessarily invoking any elements of the broader political topic.

I think that broader political conversation is important to take place, especially amongst friends, families, community members, social media, and anywhere else. Even here on this forum, except ideally in the non-pool related section where people can enter fully aware of the context their comments will invoke.

Broaching that subject in the main pool forum just doesn’t lend itself to anything productive as already seen. Here it lends itself to near immediate divisiveness as the broader sensitivities gets invoked out of context.

Last edited:

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Pool Players

Agreed on Kenny Brisbon, But Cisero Murphy was in another class, simply put. Also another guy not mentioned is John Binion in Michigan. He did the family thing (which conflicts with pool) but that guy could put racks together like something else. Not sure if he plays anymore. I remember we were practicing before a 9 ball tournament and he ran 8 racks before I got my turn on a very tight table. Also don't sleep on Earl Herring. He used to play many top players back in the day. He's got videos. I saw one of him playing Efren.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best black player I personally played against was patcheye Henry in Philly. He was about 75 when I played him. Man did he move like a ghost in one hole! It was amazing.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best black pool player I ever played was when I was about 15 and when I was working in a pool hall.

Youngblood (from TX, I think) came through and was looking for a game.

Somehow we wound up on the big snooker table playing 9-ball with the regular sized balls from a pool table.

That was the first time I had ever tried that game and that is what he wanted to play.

We were playing for around $50 or $100 a game and he beat me out of something like $500.

He must have practiced this game a lot because he slammed some balls into those rounded pockets.

Look familiar?
Javanley.jpg

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I am cleaning out all of the NPR talk from this thread. I also copied the thread to the NPR section, where the NPR talk is still there. Please refrain from any more NPR posts in this thread.

Mike

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a good bit of work!

I am cleaning out all of the NPR talk from this thread. I also copied the thread to the NPR section, where the NPR talk is still there. Please refrain from any more NPR posts in this thread.

Mike

Mike,

A good bit of work and a good piece of work! Appreciate how this was handled.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike
Thanks. You do a great job here.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Marvin Henderson played great, great pool. I think he was originally from Pittsburgh, but lived and played most of his life in Southern California. Very well respected, tough action.

Will Prout