Happy birthday, George Fels!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Happy Birthday George! You've given us hours upon hours of great reading from your articles over the years. A very sincere "Thank you!" for sharing your talent for writing and your love of pool with us! All the very best is wished for you!

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Birthday George!
Your writing style has entertained me for years and like many others have said, your column is the first thing I flip to when I pick up the Billiards Digest.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Happy birthday, George! Your books helped me get started, and I always look forward to reading the last page of BD every month.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Happy birthday, George!!

(Now that I think of it, long time no see - still owing you special thanks…)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Happy Birthday George! You're one day older than me :thumbup:. I no longer celebrate birthdays though. I am eternally 39! :smile:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
To the greatest....

....pool sports writer of all time. The man who started the trend of everyone immediately going to the back page of every Billiard Digest, rather than starting on page one.

Your old pal,
Freddy B

He is an oldie but a goodie.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mastering pool

Happy birthday George!

Thank you for the great contributions. I started playing 20 years ago and straight pool was the game my father taught me. He wasn't a great player, but he loved the purity of the game (shoot, he made me and my sister play all ball fouls when we were 13).

When I picked up mastering pool I immediately picked up a better understanding of the game. I went from running one rack at a time with the occasional 4-5 points in to the next dead end rack, to putting a lot of solid runs together. Your list of WPs changed my pool game forever, and the A-B-C-D pattern play was priceless as well. Finally, actually walking through several racks was key and raised my standards on how simple the game could be considerably.

I could go on, but I'll just say thank you one more time. I live in MN and make it down to Chicago once in a while. Please let me know if you still play, I would love to share the table with you sometime. Maybe another straight pool tournament in the future.

Have a great day!

Tin Man (Demetrius Jelatis)

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Happy Birthday George! I never realized that we share the same birthday.

Whoa!!! What da.....

Neil, I didn't see your birthdate listed where the BDs are on the bottom of the forum page, unless I missed seeing it!

Belated but sincerest best wishes that you had a fantastic birthday! Hope it was a happy one for you!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Happy birthday George!

Thank you for the great contributions. I started playing 20 years ago and straight pool was the game my father taught me. He wasn't a great player, but he loved the purity of the game (shoot, he made me and my sister play all ball fouls when we were 13).

When I picked up mastering pool I immediately picked up a better understanding of the game. I went from running one rack at a time with the occasional 4-5 points in to the next dead end rack, to putting a lot of solid runs together. Your list of WPs changed my pool game forever, and the A-B-C-D pattern play was priceless as well. Finally, actually walking through several racks was key and raised my standards on how simple the game could be considerably.

I could go on, but I'll just say thank you one more time. I live in MN and make it down to Chicago once in a while. Please let me know if you still play, I would love to share the table with you sometime. Maybe another straight pool tournament in the future.

Have a great day!

Tin Man (Demetrius Jelatis)

Demetrius: You could come down to Red Shoes this Saturday and play in the Straight Pool Qualifier. I know you know the place. You have played many of the people who are in it when you came down a few years back. George will be doing commentary to our live feed. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=236962

George: Sorry about the semi-hijack.

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George

I was a day too early wishing you a happy birthday on Facebook and now I am late wishing you one here on AZ. I'll get it right next year for sure!:smile::smile:

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Belated birthday wishes, George. Been a fan since the early 80's. I always appreciated how you wove humor and insight through your pieces. I particularly loved the stories of Bensinger's pool room and the characters who frequented it. Reminded me a lot of Julians in NYC.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate you on a feat you've sought for some time. That of being a 100 ball runner in straight pool. We're about the same age, and I believe you did it for the first time several years ago, so you were pushing 60 at the time. Great job, man! Have you done it again?

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100-ball runs

Age 60 wasn't the first time, Ted, and I THINK I'm up to 12 times now, the last just a few weeks ago. Thanks very much for writing. Best regards, GF