Black Pool Players Matter

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is more than one Youngblood. The guy I played in the late 60s was more in the hipster style of dress and had one of those sixties style tall floppy caps on and a beard. He had a couple other black guys with him. This was the Superfly era.

This could be the guy

3f113165f182f4a0a955e3caef2ee5ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised no one mentioned Leonard “Bugs” Rucker and Glenn “Piggy Banks” Rogers - two top bankers of their time

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know a guy from Omaha named Lee? I don't know what his last name is, he was from Omaha but played in Phoenix and Vegas quite a bit. Was a great player, not pro-level, but not too far behind. He was a master at 3-card monte, I've seen him take thousands playing that game.

Always wondered what happened to him.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Marvin Henderson played great, great pool. I think he was originally from Pittsburgh, but lived and played most of his life in Southern California. Very well respected, tough action.

Will Prout

I had the pleasure of seeing Marvin Henderson in action...won $110,000 giving 10-8 one
pocket on a 5x10 snooker table...he played awesome.
I’ve always felt that Marvin was the best all-round black player in history.
...he was even tournament speed at 3-cushion.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of seeing Marvin Henderson in action...won $110,000 giving 10-8 one

That's a man who figured whitey out.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Marvin won the one-pocket division at Stardust in 1968 and came in 4th in 9-ball the year before.

“Cannonball Lefty” Chapman was another great player and a class guy to boot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mike,

A good bit of work and a good piece of work! Appreciate how this was handled.

Hu

Mike, I don’t envy you your job....but I’m glad you’re doing it.
I wander around the web at times, and AZ remains my favorite site.

But it’s so hard to take politics and religion out of our everyday lives.
...just talking about my pick for the two greatest black players, James Evans and Cisero Murphy,
politics greatly affected their careers....how can that be ignored?
We NEED your moderation so it doesn’t get ridiculous, but we need some leeway.

And I’d like to plead the case for NPR, the second busiest forum on AZ.
I miss the guests having access...sometimes they become members...sometimes even
after years of lurking.
NPR has some marvellous threads...diet, nature, science, health, how to fix your computer
or car, etc. Many who take a quick look only see political haranguing, there is so much
more.
But it’s like walking into a library...all the crap and all the good stuff is there...
..and if anybody is only seeing crap, maybe it’s time to question themselves.

I patronized some great pool halls growing up...in between the action, we discussed
everything under the sun....and lifelong friendships were forged.
With the modern “fern bars” (George Fels) and loud music, AZ is my virtual chance to
relive those wonderful years.

Thanx for what you do...regards, pt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’m surprised no one mentioned Leonard “Bugs” Rucker and Glenn “Piggy Banks” Rogers - two top bankers of their time

Yes, pleased to say I got to watch Bugs in his prime, and Piggy is still around and hitting them pretty sporty.

While we're on the subject, let's not leave out another Illinois player for whom I have great respect named Ike Runnels.

I'll also note that, on this forum, I've often tried to make a case for Josh Roberts as a Mosconi Cup team member. Super player and a super guy.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Marvin Henderson

Marvin Henderson played great, great pool. I think he was originally from Pittsburgh, but lived and played most of his life in Southern California. Very well respected, tough action.

Will Prout

I attended the One Pocket Hall of Fame banquet when Marvin Henderson was inducted posthumously. I spoke at some length with his brother, who attended.

As a side note of interest: Marvin played his entire time in California with a wrapless Ginacue ca1965 made of Brazilian rosewood. Ernie Gutierrez told me that particular piece of wood was the prettiest BR he had ever seen, and he couldn’t bring himself to cut the wood at the handle and put on a wrap, so he made it wrapless, with an ivory wedge and large, killer barbells.

It is the most striking wood I have ever seen in a cue (I’ve seen a lot). Ernie was asked by the family to sell the cue, so he called me and I purchased it immediately. Ernie refinished it and delivered it to me in Las Vegas . I still own the stunner and plan to keep “for the duration”.

Will Prout

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I attended the One Pocket Hall of Fame banquet when Marvin Henderson was inducted posthumously. I spoke at some length with his brother, who attended.

As a side note of interest: Marvin played his entire time in California with a wrapless Ginacue ca1965 made of Brazilian rosewood. Ernie Gutierrez told me that particular piece of wood was the prettiest BR he had ever seen, and he couldn’t bring himself to cut the wood at the handle and put on a wrap, so he made it wrapless, with an ivory wedge and large, killer barbells.

It is the most striking wood I have ever seen in a cue (I’ve seen a lot). Ernie was asked by the family to sell the cue, so he called me and I purchased it immediately. Ernie refinished it and delivered it to me in Las Vegas . I still own the stunner and plan to keep “for the duration”.

Will Prout

Pics, please

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Will Prout

Great story and thank you guys for sharing.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Will Prout

Pics, please

I want to see also...

Pretty please

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
me too please....pretty please...:)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ballston...I read that article closely twice, but couldn't find any 'embedded video', so that I could answer your question. That said, SPF doesn't necessarily mean a long pause at the end of the backswing (think Buddy Hall). It just means that there are three stops (at the CB, at the end of the backswing, and at the finish position), and no elbow drop. All poolplayers pause on the back. Good ones do it on purpose.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Enjoyed the article and the embedded video on his "hesitation stroke"--which looks like the SPF stroke championed by Scott Lee, et al.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will,

I'll add my bay to the pack! You can't tease us like this and not show us a picture or two. I think we all know that pictures are a pale comparison to seeing the wood in person but still, we wanna see!

Please, please, purty please, we need to see now when both you and Ernie say it is most beautimus!

Hu

Will Prout

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well cliff joiner plays better than either of those guys,at rotation,and in one pocket...well...you know how that would go.(i nave never seen cisero play but have been told cliff played better.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well cliff joiner plays better than either of those guys,at rotation,and in one pocket...well...you know how that would go.(i nave never seen cisero play but have been told cliff played better.

Cisero Murphy, a player from the straight pool era was a world champion and US Open Champion straight pool player who is in the BCA Hall of Fame.

Admittedly, Cliff Joyner, who I also mentioned in this thread, would have beaten Cisero at one-pocket and maybe some other fringe games, games which Cisero may or may not have even played, but to use that as an argument for suggesting Cliff was the more accomplished player is absurd.
Whoever it was that suggested as much should read Murphy's BCA Hall of Fame writeup. Here it is:

Cisero S. Murphy was born in a North Carolina in 1935. Cisero S. Murphy was the first and only African-American ever to win a world or U.S. national billiard title. He started by taking the New York City championship at age 16. While in his 20's he won the Eastern States 14.1 Championship six straight times against top competition, but because of his race was not invited to compete in world title events until 1965, when he won the Burbank World Invitational 14.1 tournament, beating Joe Balsis, Jimmy Moore and Luther Lassiter. Murphy is only one of two players to win a World Title on his first attempt. (Ray Martin is the other.) He continued to place near the top in straight pool events during the 1960s and, two decades later, had a winning record in the 1983 BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championship. Murphy has posted several competitive high runs of over 250 balls.