BHE vs FHE

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
It has No exceptional use 4 a top player.
Yet a top player who uses it frequently has no exceptional use for traditional english.

It's like saying a top 9-Ball breaker who snaps his wrist has no use for a hung wrist with gravity, and vice versa for someone who doesn't snap his wrist to snap a break.

Please, everyone, just let players do things differently than you!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yet a top player who uses it frequently has no exceptional use for traditional english.

It's like saying a top 9-Ball breaker who snaps his wrist has no use for a hung wrist with gravity, and vice versa for someone who doesn't snap his wrist to snap a break.

Please, everyone, just let players do things differently than you!
If people claim to be 'Instructors' they should teach proper fundamentals! All this BS is not one of them.
It's like putting on the right turn signal and then turn left.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
If people claim to be 'Instructors' they should teach proper fundamentals! All this BS is not one of them.
It's like putting on the right turn signal and then turn left.
If a traditional fundamental slows a player down, a good teacher either helps them over the hump or gives them an alternative. I sometimes do one, sometimes the other.

We had someone on this thread say "Only 1 of 4 pool pros I know uses this!" which means 25% of the pros they know, 25% is a LOT of pro players!

In every stick-and-ball sport, there are skilled players who assume one set of fundamentals does everything for everyone. Not true, I say this to you respectfully.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Perfect position is nigh on impossible, but playing to areas and getting 'as good as' is literally the premise of the game. Observe the necessary from above, cue down on the shot - Observing what Is needed before cueing down, compensating based on knowledge of the equipment/table and understanding where you will be cueing through the ball, all this should be done prior to cueing down.
If I am not cueing where intended, I am standing up again. Adjusting with either hand, front or Back, maybe 'works' for some, or produces a specific result in a certain situation, but is for the most-part totally unnecessary. I agree, you are right, everyone is making small adjustments to some degree, as none of us are robots, but these should be a pretty much subconscious process. If you notice that there is need for adjustment, stand up - start again.
If you do your test strokes directly above the shot and drop in vertically, there you are.
Let me tell you how my world works. I'm far from a pro, but play pretty sporty. So maybe there's something to be considered.

When I'm standing up I do the following:
  • Determine the pocket and subsequent shot line for the OB
  • Determine the route I want the CB to follow after said shot
  • Determine a rough aim line from CB to OB
When I'm getting down on the shot I do the following:
  • Place bridge hand on the table.
When I'm down on the shot I do the following:
  1. I cue straight down my rough aim line w/ center CB and develop a fine tuned aim line
  2. I then adjust my stroke to strike the CB with required english. <-Which I can't do until I've fine tuned the aim line and determined the resulting carom angle
  3. I then adjust my aim line to compensate for the squirt/swerve I'll generate with the applied english so I can strike the desired point on the OB that I developed back on Step 1
  4. Ensure I'm cueing straight
  5. Pull trigger
Lines 1, 2, 3 cannot be done with any effectiveness while in the standing position IMO. All will require some adjustment and are dependent on where your bridge hand lands.

As I said earlier... This isn't such a big deal and can mostly be omitted when the shot is relatively short and/or requires little to no CB movement afterward.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me tell you how my world works. I'm far from a pro, but play pretty sporty. So maybe there's something to be considered.

When I'm standing up I do the following:
  • Determine the pocket and subsequent shot line for the OB
  • Determine the route I want the CB to follow after said shot
  • Determine a rough aim line from CB to OB
When I'm getting down on the shot I do the following:
  • Place bridge hand on the table.
When I'm down on the shot I do the following:
  1. I cue straight down my rough aim line w/ center CB and develop a fine tuned aim line
  2. I then adjust my stroke to strike the CB with required english. <-Which I can't do until I've fine tuned the aim line and determined the resulting carom angle
  3. I then adjust my aim line to compensate for the squirt/swerve I'll generate with the applied english so I can strike the desired point on the OB that I developed back on Step 1
  4. Ensure I'm cueing straight
  5. Pull trigger
Lines 1, 2, 3 cannot be done with any effectiveness while in the standing position IMO. All will require some adjustment and are dependent on where your bridge hand lands.

As I said earlier... This isn't such a big deal and can mostly be omitted when the shot is relatively short and/or requires little to no CB movement afterward.
You go down on the shot as if you're shooting center ball every time? That seems strange for a higher level player. If I'm reading this right, then you are doing what I thought you were arguing against in the thread -- changing your angle of delivery in relationship to your body on every shot.

Do you by chance mean -- you sight the shot and adjust for English while standing, then approach the shot and RETURN to center cue ball for your initial warm-up strokes?

I disagree that 1, 2, and 3 can't be done with "any" effectiveness while standing. I think this is exactly what most modern players do. They only make fine tuned adjustments after going down on the ball. If you start at center ball, you are making something greater than fine tuned adjustments.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not "plus" adjusting - the diagonal stroke itself is the adjustment.
pj
chgo

Exactly. The "adjustment" for english is simply changing the alignment (stroke line) of the cue to counter the effects of squirt and/or swerve when hitting the cb off-center.

This adjustment in cue alignment can be made by moving the front hand, back hand, or whole body away from the ccb line. Or it can be made in the final stroke, just before contacting the cb, though I certainly wouldn't recommend that method to anyone trying to learn this game or trying to improve their game. That adds another whole level of timing that'll have to be developed before the player can ever become consistent with it.

In the end, all that matters at the point of tip to cb impact is the direction and speed of the cue stick. There is nothing special that occurs by arriving at this point in a different manner than a straightforward line/stroke. It might feel special, but the same results can be accomplished without any silly swoop/swipe/brush stroke or whatever people want to call it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
You go down on the shot as if you're shooting center ball every time? That seems strange for a higher level player. If I'm reading this right, then you are doing what I thought you were arguing against in the thread -- changing your angle of delivery in relationship to your body on every shot.
I want to say yes, but the odds are that on shots I know will have a heavy english requirement I start off somewhat off center. That said, those circumstances are nearly always a recovery type situation. Typically I play patterns that focus on natural carom angles so any additional english is minor. No more than a tip, (11.6mm) ...generally speaking

I do change my angle of delivery but not in relationship to my body. I keep my bridge hand planted and pivot my entire upper body if required. For tiny adjustments, I'll tweak my bridge by rolling my hand (planted fingers, sliding heel) and slide my thumb up/down my finger. Keep in mind I'm an open bridge player. I know the pivoting of my entire upper body seems excessive, but it keeps my mechanics solid. I maintain 4 points of contact with my cue at all times, (bridge, chin, chest, grip).

My method is more closely related to BHE, but with the massive caveat that I don't alter my mechanics or have any horizontal wrist movement.
Do you by chance mean -- you sight the shot and adjust for English while standing, then approach the shot and RETURN to center cue ball for your initial warm-up strokes?
Nope... I don't know the amount of english that will be required until I have gotten down on the shot. I need to know the exact carom angle to determine it, and don't know that until I have fine tuned my aim line. Can't fine tune my aim line until I have my hand planted.
I disagree that 1, 2, and 3 can't be done with "any" effectiveness while standing. I think this exactly what most modern players do. They only make fine tuned adjustments after going down on the ball. If you start at center ball, you are making something greater than fine tuned adjustments.
I'll agree that you can make a coarse approximation while standing. "Modern" doesn't necessarily equate to "good" though... ;) ...and I believe the majority of players that make these tiny adjustments do so unwittingly and when doing so successfully for a period of time, consider it "the zone".

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Exactly. The "adjustment" for english is simply changing the alignment (stroke line) of the cue to counter the effects of squirt and/or swerve when hitting the cb off-center.
100%.... I just coin it the "aim line" merely because I extend it to be in relationship with the OB and use it's length to verify that I'm cueing straightly.
This adjustment in cue alignment can be made by moving the front hand, back hand, or whole body away from the ccb line. Or it can be made in the final stroke, just before contacting the cb, though I certainly wouldn't recommend that method to anyone trying to learn this game or trying to improve their game. That adds another whole level of timing that'll have to be developed before the player can ever become consistent with it.
We agree again... ...and why swooping is a fool's errand imo.
In the end, all that matters at the point of tip to cb impact is the direction and speed of the cue stick. There is nothing special that occurs by arriving at this point in a different manner than a straightforward line/stroke. It might feel special, but the same results can be accomplished without any silly swoop/swipe/brush stroke or whatever people want to call it.
Man you're on fire today ;) (y)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One strokes diagonally to the shot line to use traditional english, as opposed to what the reader posted about stroking on the center CB shot line. One must also adjust aim so that deflection and curve are accounted for, as opposed to using center CB.
Again (as if you’ll ever understand), stroking diagonally is adjusting for squirt/swerve. No “also” needed.

Speaking of deflection, "LOL" is not an answer.
It’s the only “answer” your hilarious, nonsensical posts deserve. Pity the player who falls for them.

pj
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Again (as if you’ll ever understand), stroking diagonally is adjusting for squirt/swerve. No “also” needed.

It’s the only “answer” your hilarious, nonsensical posts deserve.

pj
chgo
Uh-huh, there's nothing to add regarding your cue's pivot point, your bridge length, etc.

And you use your personal playing cue, so you know the parameters and are dialed in. No "also" needed. That's why you always execute shots with english perfectly, running nearly every table in a single inning, english or no.

So we cannot get a video of you demonstrating english technique because . . .

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to say yes, but the odds are that on shots I know will have a heavy english requirement I start off somewhat off center. That said, those circumstances are nearly always a recovery type situation. Typically I play patterns that focus on natural carom angles so any additional english is minor. No more than a tip, (11.6mm) ...generally speaking

I do change my angle of delivery but not in relationship to my body. I keep my bridge hand planted and pivot my entire upper body if required. For tiny adjustments, I'll tweak my bridge by rolling my hand (planted fingers, sliding heel) and slide my thumb up/down my finger. Keep in mind I'm an open bridge player. I know the pivoting of my entire upper body seems excessive, but it keeps my mechanics solid. I maintain 4 points of contact with my cue at all times, (bridge, chin, chest, grip).

My method is more closely related to BHE, but with the massive caveat that I don't alter my mechanics or have any horizontal wrist movement.

Nope... I don't know the amount of english that will be required until I have gotten down on the shot. I need to know the exact carom angle to determine it, and don't know that until I have fine tuned my aim line. Can't fine tune my aim line until I have my hand planted.

I'll agree that you can make a coarse approximation while standing. "Modern" doesn't necessarily equate to "good" though... ;) ...and I believe the majority of players that make these tiny adjustments do so unwittingly and when doing so successfully for a period of time, consider it "the zone".
I'm surprised that you aren't able to "feel" or "see" a very close approximation of how much english you need before getting down on the ball. I thought this was exactly what we're supposed to be doing while looking at the shot from above. My view is -- it's much easier to identify the shotline while standing 10 feet behind the cue ball then it is with my face planted directly behind it. So I don't need to be down on the ball to understand how much english is needed. I can give a very close approximation of how much english OTHER players need before they shoot, even if watching on video. Figuring out "about" how much I need while standing is a breeze.

Also - there are quite a few typical 9 Ball shots that require more than just a "tip" of english. I'd be curious how you aim those. Take the typical ball a diamond from the corner pocket with about a halfball hit, where you need to spin it 3 or 4 rails with inside english for position on the opposite end of the table. That's probably more than a tip of english. I would probably approach the shotline with my cue already angled for a pretty full hit and and make minor adjustments from there. So you would come down on the halfball hit line? Seems like that would require quite a bit of shifting around in your stance.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that you aren't able to "feel" or "see" a very close approximation of how much english you need before getting down on the ball. I thought this was exactly what we're supposed to be doing while looking at the shot from above. My view is -- it's much easier to identify the shotline while standing 10 feet behind the cue ball then it is with my face planted directly behind it. So I don't need to be down on the ball to understand how much english is needed. I can give a very close approximation of how much english OTHER players need before they shoot, even if watching on video. Figuring out "about" how much I need while standing is a breeze.

Also - there are quite a few typical 9 Ball shots that require more than just a "tip" of english. I'd be curious how you aim those. Take the typical ball a diamond from the corner pocket with about a halfball hit, where you need to spin it 3 or 4 rails with inside english for position on the opposite end of the table. That's probably more than a tip of english. I would probably approach the shotline with my cue already angled for a pretty full hit and and make minor adjustments from there. So you would come down on the halfball hit line? Seems like that would require quite a bit of shifting around in your stance.

A player could get down on the shot as if to play it with spin, then adjust for what looks right for the intended spin (bhe or fhe, etc...), then, observing the angle and aim of the cue, stand back up and come down on that adjusted line. That's a great way to develop a good eye for eventually coming down on the adjusted line for spin automatically.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm surprised that you aren't able to "feel" or "see" a very close approximation of how much english you need before getting down on the ball.
Who says I can't... ;) I can guess just as well as anyone else. I just don't know what it WILL be until I'm down on the shot.
I thought this was exactly what we're supposed to be doing while looking at the shot from above.
Well there is a concept that as a player you make your decision while standing and just follow that decision without remorse while down.

My take on the above boils down to determining the correct course of action while standing. How you generate the successful outcome is based on the adjustments you make while down on the ball. I could stand there and say, "that's about half of tip of right", but it could be 1/4 tip once I see the carom angle based on CB/OB overlap.
My view is -- it's much easier to identify the shotline while standing 10 feet behind the cue ball then it is with my face planted directly behind it. So I don't need to be down on the ball to understand how much english is needed. I can give a very close approximation of how much english OTHER players need before they shoot, even if watching on video. Figuring out "about" how much I need while standing is a breeze.
Just so we don't trip down the rabbit hole of terminology. I consider the "shotline" the path the OB will take to the pocket. The line between the CB and OB is the "aim line". I only mention this so there's no miscommunication and not to be pedantic.

That said, determining the course aim line while standing is how it's done in every billiard game I've played. I wouldn't suggest anyone do anything differently in this regard. However the odds of landing that bridge hand perfectly is minuscule. Maybe I'm more willing to admit this than most...? ...or maybe I'm just that bad at that aspect of the approach...? ...or maybe I'm playing with tighter margins so my expectations are more critical. Who knows.
Hard to honestly say without physically walking through the shot. There's also other variables at play which greatly alter the tip placement requirements. CB/OB distance, cloth condition, rail type and condition..., etc. I'm not avoiding, but these other variables change the shot significantly enough to alter tip placement.

However, I do freely admit that my upper body pivot only goes so far before I'll stand up and reset. Can't remember where I posted it here but it wasn't very long ago.

Regardless I'm a fairly decent inside english practitioner, and in saying so I would avoid playing a pattern that required a 4 railer from the spot you're suggesting. I've already commented that recovery shots weren't included in my argument.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So we cannot get a video of you demonstrating english technique because . . .
Because a video “shows” nothing about how squirt/swerve is compensated for - words and diagrams are our best tools for that - well, for those of us who actually know what we’re talking about.

Those who constantly harp about videos (you and Spidey) confuse shotmaking with knowledge. At least Spidey isn’t trying to pass himself off as an “instructor”.

pj
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Because a video “shows” nothing about how squirt/swerve is compensated for - words and diagrams are our best tools for that - well, for those of us who actually know what we’re talking about.

Those who constantly harp about videos (you and Spidey) confuse shotmaking with knowledge. At least Spidey isn’t trying to pass himself off as an “instructor”.

pj
chgo
PJ, I think you're right. No one can ever learn anything from a video, truly that is so.

I almost never harp on videos. I know why Spidey does so.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who says I can't... ;) I can guess just as well as anyone else. I just don't know what it WILL be until I'm down on the shot.
I get this. I think a more accurate statement would be: You don't know what it will EXACTLY be until you're down on the shot.
Well there is a concept that as a player you make your decision while standing and just follow that decision without remorse while down.
I don't think that's the view of any decent player. I acknowledge everyone makes adjustments. We're just talking about how extreme the adjustments are or should be.
My take on the above boils down to determining the correct course of action while standing. How you generate the successful outcome is based on the adjustments you make while down on the ball. I could stand there and say, "that's about half of tip of right", but it could be 1/4 tip once I see the carom angle based on CB/OB overlap.
It's not one or the other. You can adjust while up, adjust while down, or a combination of both. My view is it's best to do both but do most of the heavy lifting while standing.

I try to avoid talking to myself in the manner you have suggested. Instead I try to keep it visual/sensual.
Just so we don't trip down the rabbit hole of terminology. I consider the "shotline" the path the OB will take to the pocket. The line between the CB and OB is the "aim line". I only mention this so there's no miscommunication and not to be pedantic.
That makes sense.
That said, determining the course aim line while standing is how it's done in every billiard game I've played. I wouldn't suggest anyone do anything differently in this regard. However the odds of landing that bridge hand perfectly is minuscule. Maybe I'm more willing to admit this than most...? ...or maybe I'm just that bad at that aspect of the approach...? ...or maybe I'm playing with tighter margins so my expectations are more critical. Who knows.

Hard to honestly say without physically walking through the shot. There's also other variables at play which greatly alter the tip placement requirements. CB/OB distance, cloth condition, rail type and condition..., etc. I'm not avoiding, but these other variables change the shot significantly enough to alter tip placement.
All true. We aren't even really arguing about anything just walking through your method I suppose. It's possible I could be doing it wrong.
However, I do freely admit that my upper body pivot only goes so far before I'll stand up and reset. Can't remember where I posted it here but it wasn't very long ago.

Regardless I'm a fairly decent inside english practitioner, and in saying so I would avoid playing a pattern that required a 4 railer from the spot you're suggesting. I've already commented that recovery shots weren't included in my argument.
You can't avoid these types of shots while playing high level pool because they are often times the only way to stay on the proper positional line/route. Also, anytime you have an object ball within say -- 6 inches of the pocket, using close to, or even max english may have more benefits than risks. These shots come up rack after rack. You can't just pattern play your way around the demands of english while playing high level 9 ball.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I get this. I think a more accurate statement would be: You don't know what it will EXACTLY be until you're down on the shot.

I don't think that's the view of any decent player. I acknowledge everyone makes adjustments. We're just talking about how extreme the adjustments are or should be.

It's not one or the other. You can adjust while up, adjust while down, or a combination of both. My view is it's best to do both but do most of the heavy lifting while standing.

I try to avoid talking to myself in the manner you have suggested. Instead I try to keep it visual/sensual.

That makes sense.

All true. We aren't even really arguing about anything just walking through your method I suppose. It's possible I could be doing it wrong.
(y)
You can't avoid these types of shots while playing high level pool because they are often times the only way to stay on the proper positional line/route. Also, anytime you have an object ball within say -- 6 inches of the pocket, using close to, or even max english may have more benefits than risks. These shots come up rack after rack. You can't just pattern play your way around the demands of english while playing high level 9 ball.
I think you might be surprised at what the alternatives could be. Case in point your half ball, inside 4 railer, can be turned into a 'outside/draw' 2 railer. Wherein the first rail rebound happens just below the side pocket. Again though, this is table condition dependent. I know I can hit that very shot at my local home room. I'd have zero chance of making it 45mins down the highway on some beaten diamonds. However this very type of alternative is an adjustment I saw the elite do at the USopen last year on the 4" pockets.

I'd also would rather opt to play flatter position on your inside 4 railer and just draw it back 6ft. ...tons of options.

I didn't mean to imply that I never exceed a tip of english. I just choose to play in a method that produces shots on average that need no more. Playing in this manner has increased my competitive success.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(y)

I think you might be surprised at what the alternatives could be. Case in point your half ball, inside 4 railer, can be turned into a 'outside/draw' 2 railer. Wherein the first rail rebound happens just below the side pocket. Again though, this is table condition dependent.
It's not table conditions dependent AS MUCH AS it is layout of the balls dependent. You don't just get to pick your favored shot all the time. Your proposed replacement shot travels an entirely different path that wouldn’t necessarily be available.
I know I can hit that very shot at my local home room. I'd have zero chance of making it 45mins down the highway on some beaten diamonds. However this very type of alternative is an adjustment I saw the elite do at the USopen last year on the 4" pockets.
I get sometimes shots aren't always available table to table. Lively rails, small pockets, and fresh cloth all changes the available shots. The biggest of those is fresh cloth. Multi-rail spin shots aren't always available on fresh cloth. That's the one variable I see that changes the patterns of pros. Once the cloth breaks in, they go right back to their typical patterns.
I'd also would rather opt to play flatter position on your inside 4 railer and just draw it back 6ft. ...tons of options.
Again -- tons of options if you're shooting one ball. You're lucky if you get two options on a shot while running out a 9 ball rack.
I didn't mean to imply that I never exceed a tip of english. I just choose to play in a method that produces shots on average that need no more. Playing in this manner has increased my competitive success.
I'm always skeptical of the "low english" crowd. There's just way too many shots where it makes more sense to roll the cue ball with "lots" of english than it does to stun it with a "little" english.

Moved on from BHE/FHE. 😉

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
PJ, I think you're right. No one can ever learn anything from a video, truly that is so.
Again, misrepresenting what I said. Seems to be all you got...

Some videos (Dr. Dave's, for instance) teach a lot - but you're not him (God knows), and your "vanity challenge" is empty nonsense (like Spidey's frequent "challenges") that really only shows your lack of knowledge.

pj
chgo

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, misrepresenting what I said. Seems to be all you got...

Some videos (Dr. Dave's, for instance) teach a lot - but you're not him (God knows), and your "vanity challenge" is empty nonsense (like Spidey's frequent "challenges") that really only shows your lack of knowledge.

pj
chgo
You're a brave man. 👏

I guess if everybody put him on ignore then his "information" would sit unchallenged until the end of the internet. Yikes.