BREAKING NEWS: 8/28 Wed 9am, Archer on Today Show with Brooke Shields and Al Roker

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Wish Johnny were as proficient as Earl at wing shots, seeing Earl drill like 6 of those looks inhuman even to experienced players, and seeing the behind-the-back version makes me feel like quitting pool. It's just too good.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know if Johnny is representing a sponsor for this video snippet, and I know his time on the air will probably be something lkie 3 minutes, tops.

That said, with Brooke Sheilds and Al Roker, he could do a couple quick shots, easy ones that go quickly.

THEN here's where it gets good. :thumbup:

Thorsten Hohmann, a Team Europe member, should jump over the audience barrier and break into the middle fo the conversation with Johnny and Brooke and Al.

He then challenges Johnny Archer, a Team USA member, to a duel on a field of green. They should get into a brief colloquy or a polite barkfest.

The distraction of the two of them in the middle of the trick-shot show will catch the audience's attention. :eek:

Johnny then says something like, "The Americans are the best pool players are in the world, Thorsten. You know it, and I know it."

To which Thorsten replies, "Well, we already defeated Team USA last year at York Hall in England. Don't you remember, Johnny?"

[Brief snapshot of Team Europe holding the Mosconi Cup trophy.]

Dennis Hatch jumps over the audience barrier and stares down Thorsten. Then all the rest of Team Europe jumps in the picture, with rest of Team America shortly therafter.

The camera closes in on Johnny's face.

Johnny then looks into the camera and says, "Y'all gotta come root for Team USA at the Mosconi Cup, December 2-5, at the Mirage in Vegas. Watch Team America. win the 20th anniversary of the Mosconi Cup. See you there."

[Cut.] :thumbup2:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know if Johnny is representing a sponsor for this video snippet, and I know his time on the air will probably be something lkie 3 minutes, tops.

That said, with Brooke Sheilds and Al Roker, he could do a couple quick shots, easy ones that go quickly.

Thorsten Hohmann, a Team Europe member, should jump over the audience barrier and break into the middle fo the conversation with Johnny and Brooke and Al.

He then challenges Johnny Archer, a Team USA member, to a duel on a field of green. They should get into a brief colloquy or a polite barkfest.

The distraction of the two of them in the middle of the trick-shot show will catch the audience's attention. :eek:

Johnny then says something like, "The Americans are the best pool players are in the world, Thorsten. You know it, and I know it."

To which Thorsten replies, "Well, we already defeated Team USA last year at York Hall in England. Don't you remember, Johnny?"

Dennis Hatch jumps over the audience barrier and stares down Thorsten. Then all the rest of Team Europe jumps in the picture, with rest of Team America shortly therafter.

Johnny then looks into the camera and says, "Y'all gotta come root for Team USA at the Mosconi Cup, December 2-5, at the Mirage in Vegas. Watch Team America. win the 20th anniversary of the Mosconi Cup. See you there."

Nice post!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

It's certainly worth running that idea past the show's producers. They'll be concerned with how much time will it take? how much will it cost us to get the players here? (10 years ago, cost was no problem; today it's a big concern). Great idea!

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All of that works great until he tells everyone you need to log onto ESPN3 from your computer in order to watch.:(

I sure hope part of the announcement is it'll be televised LIVE on ESPN, FoxSports, Versus, or any other channel that I can get!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's certainly worth running that idea past the show's producers. They'll be concerned with how much time will it take? how much will it cost us to get the players here? (10 years ago, cost was no problem; today it's a big concern). Great idea!

I think most of them are in NYC now at the Steinway tournament. :)

This would be a great boost for pool if they could pull it off.

The guys representing Team USA and Team Europe could be stand-in pool players from Steinway who are in NYC. They should all be holding their sticks in one hand like a weapon of mass destruction when they jump over the audience barrier, like they're ready to rumble.

Dennis Hatch with all his muscles needs to be there after Thorsten's challenge. His very presence would show that pool players come in all sizes. He's twice as big as Thorsten, so it will look like he's ready to fight. :D

Then Team Europe jumps the audience barrier with their cue sticks in their hand to back Thorsten up. The rest of Team USA immediately joins in the crowd with their cues in tow.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of that works great until he tells everyone you need to log onto ESPN3 from your computer in order to watch.:(

I sure hope part of the announcement is it'll be televised LIVE on ESPN, FoxSports, Versus, or any other channel that I can get!!

He doesn't have to mention the station or cable station. He can just mention the venue in Vegas at the Mirage on December 2-5.

Who knows, if this takse off, maybe NBC will buy the rights to broadcast it live. :)

A gal can dream, can't she? :eek:

But it *is* doable and could happen. The power of positive thinking makes things happen. :wink:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I'm fascinated by this challenge. They are asking for the toughest shot ever made on TV. You have to choose a happy medium as you only have one shot. What the heck shot do you choose???

I will be tuning in for sure.

ok, you've got 1.5 days to prep, LUXURY.
i'd like to see....

1) break & sink all (9, 10, or 15)
2) while simultaneously jumpinig the cue off the table & NAILING MATT LAUER, in the ding-ding !!!!

ok?

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
....Well since this is always a topic for the Emmys, Grammys, and other award shows, what will Johnny be wearing....?

and MORE importantly - absolutely!
it's New York, for God's sake!
go shopping across the street @ Bloomingdale's!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most of them are in NYC now at the Steinway tournament. :)

This would be a great boost for pool if they could pull it off.

The guys representing Team USA and Team Europe could be stand-in pool players from Steinway who are in NYC. They should all be holding their sticks in one hand like a weapon of mass destruction when they jump over the audience barrier, like they're ready to rumble.

Dennis Hatch with all his muscles needs to be there after Thorsten's challenge. His very presence would show that pool players come in all sizes. He's twice as big as Thorsten, so it will look like he's ready to fight. :D

Then Team Europe jumps the audience barrier with their cue sticks in their hand to back Thorsten up. The rest of Team USA immediately joins in the crowd with their cues in tow.

I've already called all the local pool hall and for warned them of the avalanche of new players that will be storming the doors Wed evening when the news hits full gear :eek:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Wish Johnny were as proficient as Earl at wing shots, seeing Earl drill like 6 of those looks inhuman even to experienced players, and seeing the behind-the-back version makes me feel like quitting pool. It's just too good.

Yeah, I've seen those also. It's so ridiculously good, it almost doesn't make sense.

Big crowd, doing it live (no "do-overs"), does a bunch of them in a row (nails all of them) and then does one behind the back.

Maybe THOSE are the kind of drills we need to do to play like Earl Strickland :grin-square:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
you mean like, picking-off / DRILLING,
those 5 balls / EUROPE PLAYERS,
into the HOLE?!?!

TEAM USA!
TEAM USA!
TEAM USA!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This just in from Johnny. He just texted me, I don't think he'd mind me sharing this, as I think it helps build excitement and promote it.

He has chosen his shot. It's "DO or DIE, VERY dangerous, involves Brooke, and took the producers a long time to approve". :eek: Maybe he read Luxury's posted suggestion!

I asked him if he'd slip in one of those off center weighted 8 balls when Al Roker shoots (kudos to the creative thought JoeyA!). That he'd have the crowd in stitches. He probably would have to have the lawyers and producers approve that too, lol.

I hope someone here can record it and memorialize it on youtube and maximize exposure, share on Facebook, etc - wish I had the ability. Volunteer anyone?

Can't wait to see Johnny pull this off! Knock it out of the park Johnny!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Very WWE-like.

I mean that as a compliment. It would work.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Johnny was in the booth for the Earl vs Kiamco match (Earl won hill hill, plays Shaw at 2 pm on the B side, and winner gets undefeated Shane). Anyway, he said that Hatch was also going to be on the Today Show! And that he's taking two shots, not one. And said a few things @ BB, ABP, AZB, etc. Interesting stuff... Thanks for sharing Johnny.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with and spoken to Johnny a couple times at The Brass Tap and he is a great guy. Met several of his cousins as well and had fun with them all. I don't care what he does I am all in to watch this event. Whatever Johnny does it will be cool as hell to see!