Castle Billiards NJ, throw player out for being too good

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny could probably fall on either side of the a++ or open level. The Illinois tourney was on bar boxes (equalizers). He was definitely not robbing the castle tourney.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny could probably fall on either side of the a++ or open level. The Illinois tourney was on bar boxes (equalizers). He was definitely not robbing the castle tourney.

I watched this guy not miss a ball the next day! He is not only an open player he's an open+ ( yes it's a thing ) he would have undoubtably robbed that tourney.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I had this happen to me but before the tourney started...

This happened to me at Q master's...

I happened to be in DamnNeck training in the military during the week of the open and I had heard about a local tournament the night before.

A guy I had been playing told me about it and told me to tell them I was an A- and so I did.

I always practice at a much higher level than I compete so I had gone in before the tourney, signed up and started practicing.

This was gonna be my last week in town and I just wanted to play. Well after running out a few racks practicing I am approached by the TD and asked who told me I was an A- in the tourney. I told them the guy who told me about the tourney the night before and he proceeds to hand me my money back and tell me I can't play in the tourney.

I explain to him that I'm in the Navy and just there for training. I show him my military ID and explain that this is the last week I am in town and would like to play can't he just play me at their highest rating....

The answer was no thanks for coming....:frown::frown:

Jaden

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Good Stuff Sand Castle. At least you returned his Tourney fee with an invitation to play in any of your Open Tourneys. That is much more than most would do.

This is Castle, not Sandcastle. Different places, both in NJ but huge difference.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
This happened to me at Q master's...

I happened to be in DamnNeck training in the military during the week of the open and I had heard about a local tournament the night before.

A guy I had been playing told me about it and told me to tell them I was an A- and so I did.

I always practice at a much higher level than I compete so I had gone in before the tourney, signed up and started practicing.

This was gonna be my last week in town and I just wanted to play. Well after running out a few racks practicing I am approached by the TD and asked who told me I was an A- in the tourney. I told them the guy who told me about the tourney the night before and he proceeds to hand me my money back and tell me I can't play in the tourney.

I explain to him that I'm in the Navy and just there for training. I show him my military ID and explain that this is the last week I am in town and would like to play can't he just play me at their highest rating....

The answer was no thanks for coming....:frown::frown:

Jaden

Wow, this EXACT scenario happened to me as well, in the late 1980s when I was stationed aboard the USS Briscoe (DD-977) in Norfolk, VA. Back then, Q-Masters was on Sewell's Point Road (I heard some years later that location had burned to the ground).

I also got a table early, and after a few practice racks, the TD approached my table and gave me my entry fee back. The TD wasn't anyone I knew (I knew Barry and most of his staff -- this guy was just a part-timer that ran the tournaments back then).

I thought about making a stink, since I was also coming up on my enlistment end-of-service date and wasn't sure for how long I was going to remain in the area. But then I remembered all the fun times I had at Q-Masters, and just let it pass. I went into the back green room (action room) and spent the evening there.

Anyway, your story brought back some memories,
-Sean

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
This thread reminds me that there are usually 3 sides to every story....

While I can appreciate Danny Gokhul's frustration, he can't play the innocent victim here, either. The TD made a call, based on credible info that Danny plays above the level of the handicapped (amateur level) tourney. Danny was given his money back. What did he really lose?

FTR, Scotty the TD, who chimed in here, has a great reputation. He's a straight up guy and has no history of dicking ppl over. John and Minnie, who own the room, run a nice operation. It starts at the top and filters on down- Castle is a class operation.

While frustrating that DG lost a chance to grab da cash, keep in mind; it's not OWED to him either.

Eric

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Attention all units: somebody wasn't allowed to rob somebody else.
Wed%2B-%2B21.jpg

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
But,in all my years around pool,I have never seen,heard or imagined anyone have this happen while a tournament is still going on. Tommy D.

Tommy,

Many years ago, a good friend was playing in the Super Seniors event in Vegas. The tournament director walked up to him after he lost his match and told him to prepare to play his next match on the winners side as his opponent had been disqualified. At the time he was quite bewildered. His opponent was Willie Munson. If the BCA did not want Willie to play, why did they allow him to travel to Vegas let alone enter the event?

My friend Greg Antonakos was disqualified from Super Billiards last year after he brought his family to Edison. Why he was allowed to enter and occur great expenses is a mystery.

Those are only two I know of of. Seems it might be more common than we are aware of.

Lyn

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad it sparked a good debate. Perhaps DG could have been more open about his speed but I thin he falls on the a++ open border which is allowed in this tournament. He played in plenty of handicaps tournaments on the west coast and nobody complained he was too good.

point being you cannot let him play 6 matches come back the next day then decide he is too good after beating the TD;s horse in the tourny

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I am glad it sparked a good debate. Perhaps DG could have been more open about his speed but I thin he falls on the a++ open border which is allowed in this tournament. He played in plenty of handicaps tournaments on the west coast and nobody complained he was too good.

point being you cannot let him play 6 matches come back the next day then decide he is too good after beating the TD;s horse in the tourny

EDIT: next post took care of it.

thanks,
brian kc

Last edited:

Castle Scotty

Registered
Saw a few good posts on here. Also saw some interesting ones like Danny should sue, that I had a "longshot" in the calcutta, this isn't Danny it's his friend and so on. I have been around this game for 25 yrs and pretty much seen it all. Danny is a road agent, he travels to play pool for money, it is his "job" to get in the best games and to look for "soft" tourneys that let him play. Danny was steered to this tourney. As an old school player I respect that. Many years ago I was doing the same thing. I have been thrown of of tournaments myself. I was asked to leave after getting ahead 3-0 on the guy who won the tourney the week before, didn't even finish the set. There were times the room tossed me and didn't give me my entry back. There were times they said I can finish but don't ever come back. There was a time they wouldn't let me play just because they knew I HUNG OUT with Ginky! That's how is goes in the pool world.

I have run successful events at Castle. If you have ever run a tournament you know of course there with be a hiccup here and there. There is not a "end all be all" book of how to handicap a player. There is no such book, trust me, I would buy it. This past event we had 44 players. 43 of them all knew each other and their speeds. None of the people would go crying if they saw someone playing good, or better than their rating on that day. Not to get into every detail but on the Castle FB page I always list the details of the event. Everyone knows I'm a phone call away if they have a question. (This proves even more that Danny was sent to Castle, he wouldn't know to check out the Castle page) If Danny read the "fine print" or even asked around he would know that I use the rankings according to the 2 locals tour here. When you are a new/unknown player you are automatically rated at the highest level for the event. If I find out that you are better than the highest level you are not allowed to continue. Everyone that plays in Castle events already knows this simple Castle rule. I don't throw someone out because others players complain or even if I think the player might be too strong. You get tossed when there is obvious proof you're to good for the tourney ie AZB posts, etc. If I didn't see anything online about Danny he would have been able to finish. If he did win I would have paid him and told him he can't play in a Castle ABCD event.

I hope with this one simple rule that I can deter road agents from driving from afar and trying to come to a Castle event looking to win "easy" money from us regulars. For the players that were knocked out by Danny they know that I'm sick about that. Hopefully I can buy them a drink and we can kiss and make-up !!

In the end Danny didn't lose money, maybe he lost some action cause of his friend, but he paid $80 and I gave him $80.

Would love to go back and forth on this topic but I must go and plan the next Castle Event !!

P.S.... I won the tournament.....let the next thread begin !! :)

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Saw a few good posts on here. Also saw some interesting ones like Danny should sue, that I had a "longshot" in the calcutta, this isn't Danny it's his friend and so on. I have been around this game for 25 yrs and pretty much seen it all. Danny is a road agent, he travels to play pool for money, it is his "job" to get in the best games and to look for "soft" tourneys that let him play. Danny was steered to this tourney. As an old school player I respect that. Many years ago I was doing the same thing. I have been thrown of of tournaments myself. I was asked to leave after getting ahead 3-0 on the guy who won the tourney the week before, didn't even finish the set. There were times the room tossed me and didn't give me my entry back. There were times they said I can finish but don't ever come back. There was a time they wouldn't let me play just because they knew I HUNG OUT with Ginky! That's how is goes in the pool world.

I have run successful events at Castle. If you have ever run a tournament you know of course there with be a hiccup here and there. There is not a "end all be all" book of how to handicap a player. There is no such book, trust me, I would buy it. This past event we had 44 players. 43 of them all knew each other and their speeds. None of the people would go crying if they saw someone playing good, or better than their rating on that day. Not to get into every detail but on the Castle FB page I always list the details of the event. Everyone knows I'm a phone call away if they have a question. (This proves even more that Danny was sent to Castle, he wouldn't know to check out the Castle page) If Danny read the "fine print" or even asked around he would know that I use the rankings according to the 2 locals tour here. When you are a new/unknown player you are automatically rated at the highest level for the event. If I find out that you are better than the highest level you are not allowed to continue. Everyone that plays in Castle events already knows this simple Castle rule. I don't throw someone out because others players complain or even if I think the player might be too strong. You get tossed when there is obvious proof you're to good for the tourney ie AZB posts, etc. If I didn't see anything online about Danny he would have been able to finish. If he did win I would have paid him and told him he can't play in a Castle ABCD event.

I hope with this one simple rule that I can deter road agents from driving from afar and trying to come to a Castle event looking to win "easy" money from us regulars. For the players that were knocked out by Danny they know that I'm sick about that. Hopefully I can buy them a drink and we can kiss and make-up !!

In the end Danny didn't lose money, maybe he lost some action cause of his friend, but he paid $80 and I gave him $80.

Would love to go back and forth on this topic but I must go and plan the next Castle Event !!

Well put, Scott. Thanks for responding and clearing the air -- I think this one's definitely in the books now.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I see now, DG was kicked out so you wouldn't have to play him! :eek:

just kidding

lol anyone who knows Scotty, what he's been through and come back from... and the way he steps up and gambles when he knows it's a tough game... they know he doesn't understand the concept of fear.

_mg_44661.jpg

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

fair enough, I agree I only ready DG post on facebook and thought it was BS, however after reading all what happened especially from the TD I can see why this happened. I still think he should have been able to finish after he has played that many games and its not like there aren't strong players there on the bar box.

However, I understand them wanting to keep the integrity of the tourny.

Again please read my first post. I clearly copied and pasted DG's facebook post to here hence the quotations marks, then gave my personal opinion below. regardless doesnt matter what or who you think i am i think that will come more evident in future posts from myself.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Again please read my first post. I clearly copied and pasted DG's facebook post to here hence the quotations marks, then gave my personal opinion below. regardless doesnt matter what or who you think i am i think that will come more evident in future posts from myself.

It's funny you found his story so compelling and you were so passionate about it that you created an AZBilliards account specifically to complain about something you just read about on facebook and had zero first hand knowledge of.

You_Sit_On_A_Throne_Of_Lies.jpg

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol anyone who knows Scotty, what he's been through and come back from... and the way he steps up and gambles when he knows it's a tough game... they know he doesn't understand the concept of fear.

_mg_44661.jpg

Sounds like a stand-up and inspirational guy. No offense intended, just busting chops for no good reason at all :grin:

That's a pretty damn sweet-looking bridge contraption he's got there (Just assuming that pic is of Scott)

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny you found his story so compelling and you were so passionate about it that you created an AZBilliards account specifically to complain about something you just read about on facebook and had zero first hand knowledge of.

You_Sit_On_A_Throne_Of_Lies.jpg

lol well a few mishaps there. I actually have I guess secondary knowledge as once I saw it I called in my friends that were there granted they were a little biased but still decent info

i actually had an account before this but the admins did not approve me for several days and yes this was the first post I thought would be a good one. again doesnt matter to me think I am dg if you like makes no difference to me.

creating a thread means im passionate about it or I would like to discuss it? after posting it I got a lot of info that i may never had gotten otherwise.

maybe cleary you should be more concerned about filming your ice bucket challenge before the 48 hours is up ;)