Efren was in Norway this weekend :-)

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Efren Reyes was invited to Norway this weekend by the owners of a poolhall in the city of Bergen, to play in the Bergen Open 9-ball.

110 players entered this handicap-event, with $ 100 entryfee and about $ 2000 added. Players got games on the wire based on their skillevel, and could get as much as 6 games on the wire in this race to 9-format.

I brought with me my two nephews aged 12 and 13, and my mother and father, to watch the legend. A week ago I got confirmed that my two nephews could play Efren a small race to 3 in 9-ball each on Friday night, and they could barely sleep the days before the event.

They have been watching him play almost every minute all weekend, and even my mum and dad now understand why I'm so fascinated of this player.

It was AWESOME finally having him visit Norway, and from he came on Thursday and till today, he has been playing non-stop. Either tournament, or 100 $ challengematches with whoever wanted. There were big lines of players waiting to play him, and Efren only lost 1 of all the challenge-matches, and that was a race to 3 match which he lost 3-2.

As usual he had dozens of "Efren-shots" during these days, and when he played my youngest nephew he kicked and banked like a wild-man and made a good show out of it.

When he was waiting for his match in the single elimination he came over to talk with me, and soon a group gathered around and then we grabbed a table and asked him if he could show us some magicshots he has made in tournaments. That was great, he put balls on the table, told us how he made this and that, and let people in the crowd try the shots with his guidance. That was priceless, with lots of laughs, applause and many happy people :) I then set up a 6 rail kick shot for him which he made in a commercial I had seen. He looked at it, grabbed a cue and then fired it in on his first try :thumbup:

As for the tournament, he "raped" everyone, except Vegar Kristiansen in the final, who managed to play perfect and win 9-3 over Efren. Still, a good week for Efren. I'm pretty sure he cashed several thousands of dollars just by playing short races with us dumb Norwegians :)

Vegar Kristiansen is not well-known, because he "never" plays outside Norway, but during his career he has managed a 3rd in the World 9-ball Championship, won an Eurotour and have a personal high of 257 in 14-1, so he's not completely lost ;)

One last thing. My mother and my nephew got their hair done on Saturday morning, and it turned out that the 3 young girls working there were Filipinas. My mum was shocked by the reaction of them when they heard Efren was in town, and just a few hours later they were in the audience with their Filipino-friends, watching Efren, getting autographs and pictures. Today they brought more friends to watch him. Efren really IS a rock-star in Philippines, and I bet you can't find many Filipinos not knowing who Efren is :)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Efren Reyes was invited to Norway this weekend by the owners of a poolhall in the city of Bergen, to play in the Bergen Open 9-ball.

110 players entered this handicap-event, with $ 100 entryfee and about $ 2000 added. Players got games on the wire based on their skillevel, and could get as much as 6 games on the wire in this race to 9-format.

I brought with me my two nephews aged 12 and 13, and my mother and father, to watch the legend. A week ago I got confirmed that my two nephews could play Efren a small race to 3 in 9-ball each on Friday night, and they could barely sleep the days before the event.

They have been watching him play almost every minute all weekend, and even my mum and dad now understand why I'm so fascinated of this player.

It was AWESOME finally having him visit Norway, and from he came on Thursday and till today, he has been playing non-stop. Either tournament, or 100 $ challengematches with whoever wanted. There were big lines of players waiting to play him, and Efren only lost 1 of all the challenge-matches, and that was a race to 3 match which he lost 3-2.

As usual he had dozens of "Efren-shots" during these days, and when he played my youngest nephew he kicked and banked like a wild-man and made a good show out of it.

When he was waiting for his match in the single elimination he came over to talk with me, and soon a group gathered around and then we grabbed a table and asked him if he could show us some magicshots he has made in tournaments. That was great, he put balls on the table, told us how he made this and that, and let people in the crowd try the shots with his guidance. That was priceless, with lots of laughs, applause and many happy people :) I then set up a 6 rail kick shot for him which he made in a commercial I had seen. He looked at it, grabbed a cue and then fired it in on his first try :thumbup:

As for the tournament, he "raped" everyone, except Vegar Kristiansen in the final, who managed to play perfect and win 9-3 over Efren. Still, a good week for Efren. I'm pretty sure he cashed several thousands of dollars just by playing short races with us dumb Norwegians :)

Vegar Kristiansen is not well-known, because he "never" plays outside Norway, but during his career he has managed a 3rd in the World 9-ball Championship, won an Eurotour and have a personal high of 257 in 14-1, so he's not completely lost ;)

One last thing. My mother and my nephew got their hair done on Saturday morning, and it turned out that the 3 young girls working there were Filipinas. My mum was shocked by the reaction of them when they heard Efren was in town, and just a few hours later they were in the audience with their Filipino-friends, watching Efren, getting autographs and pictures. Today they brought more friends to watch him. Efren really IS a rock-star in Philippines, and I bet you can't find many Filipinos not knowing who Efren is :)

Nice....I too have found great conversation on the phone (cc company, billing/ airlines etc.) when I hear that distinct' pinoy tone, I immediately say, "do you know Bata Reyes", Never heard someone say NO, and they do love em.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
This was one shot he showed us, how he managed to come back from an impossible situation and leave safe back to the other player. (I think he said it was Johnny Archer he had played)

EDIT: Sorry, It's been too many years since I used cuetable, have forgotten how to use it so can't show you... sorry guys...

Last edited:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
How many C notes did you donate? :cool:

I had to play him a short race to 3 so my nephews could see me playing him, other than that I stayed away and let others play him.

I've played him so many times, and am going back to Manila in the summer again, so I can play him cheap there instead ;)

I did lose $ 100 on him though, I thougt since we have had so much success backing him in mini-tournaments and the one-pocket challenge, that I could also back him in chess. The guy he played was just way too good :smile:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no wonder everyone loves Efryn
he is not only the best player'but he knows how to please people

he makes everyone feel important

if there were more like him,there would be tournaments and fans

something worth seeing for the crowds

thanks for the post.it was a pleasure hearing about your great time
I feel certain that your nephews will treasure that time with you

dean

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is awsome and a great guy to be around. He almost never says no to anyone.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Efren is awsome and a great guy to be around. He almost never says no to anyone.

He's like Fat's minus the ''distractions'', but loves people and life, fatty loved animals too and saved many.

thuglife520

thuglife520
Silver Member
My last name is Reyes...im Mexican American and I went on a Carnival Cruise with the wife and all the Pinoy(lots) workers treated me with added love and respect cause of the last name.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice story, thanks for sharing it, I can only imagine how fun it is to have a legend the likes of Efren Reyes in my town playing...

Did you happen to take photos of Efren and the event as a whole, if yes, please post them, it will be fun to see also,thanks.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a fantastic story! Where in Norway did this all happen? What type of tables do you play on? Love to see some pics of the pool hall with some background on pool in the pool room you play in. Great story, Rep on the way!!!

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes, good read.

Efren is/was the best all around player EVER. No comparisons at all

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren in Norway

Roy- that was a great story - thanks for telling us about it.

Efren really is a treat to watch and the best thing that has happened in pool for a long time.

I really appreciate him and his 'good deeds' he does for pool.

Mark Griffin

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
What a fantastic story! Where in Norway did this all happen? What type of tables do you play on? Love to see some pics of the pool hall with some background on pool in the pool room you play in. Great story, Rep on the way!!!

The tournament was held in Bergen/Norway.

lg
Ingo

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for telling us about this, Roy.

Did Efren travel to Norway from the Philippines, or from somewhere else? Is he returning directly to the Philippines or going somewhere else?

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Thanks for telling us about this, Roy.

Did Efren travel to Norway from the Philippines, or from somewhere else? Is he returning directly to the Philippines or going somewhere else?

He came directly from PI for this tournament, and returns today April 2nd.

He stayed in the house of the pool hall owner during the tournament. On Friday morning before the pool hall opened, he was relaxing in the sofa, wearing Norwegian thick socks to keep his feet warm, turned up all the heaters in the house, and watched Youtube clips of himself :grin:

I have no pic of that one, but there are some pics on FB from the tournament, will try to collect and post later