Ernie Guiterez
Gus Szamboti
Burton Spain

in no particular order, for sure. :grin-square:
Erich

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Bert Schreger would be one on the list of greatest, as he did the first six pointer. Not sure if Bert is still alo=ive but he is not building any more.

He is in the ICA Hal of Fame, "Bert Schrager: Inducted 2005

Bert started building cues in the 1960’s and is credited with helping many up and coming cuemakers. We won't list names, but it would be a who's who list of higher end smaller cuemakers who spent time in Bert's shop. Bert has always been very helpful to the beginning cuemakers and that is one thing the ICA stands for. Bert got his start in cuemaking from his close friend Harvey Martin who is also an ICA Hall of Fame member. Bert was one of the earlier cuemakers to break into the high end cue market and one of the first few to crack open the Japanese market. Many famous people have had Bert build cues for them. He never went the CNC route and has produced some very high end cue designs with just a pantograph. He is credited with popularizing the 6 point cue design. Bert is our first living member to be inducted. His wife Pat has done much of the beautiful pantograph work on their cues. Although recently retired. At 80 years of age he was still at his labor of love: Building Cues.

He was one hell of a 3C Player!

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO. Herman Rambow. When you consider the big picture. He was inovative and with what he had to work with as far as glues, finishes and tools, he was a master craftsman even by todays standards. The record of who played with Rambow's and their accomplishments while doing so is too long to list.

I agree. You have to wonder where these other guys would be without Mr. Rambow.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Bert Schreger would be one on the list of greatest, as he did the first six pointer. Not sure if Bert is still alo=ive but he is not building any more.

He is in the ICA Hal of Fame, "Bert Schrager: Inducted 2005

Bert started building cues in the 1960’s and is credited with helping many up and coming cuemakers. We won't list names, but it would be a who's who list of higher end smaller cuemakers who spent time in Bert's shop. Bert has always been very helpful to the beginning cuemakers and that is one thing the ICA stands for. Bert got his start in cuemaking from his close friend Harvey Martin who is also an ICA Hall of Fame member. Bert was one of the earlier cuemakers to break into the high end cue market and one of the first few to crack open the Japanese market. Many famous people have had Bert build cues for them. He never went the CNC route and has produced some very high end cue designs with just a pantograph. He is credited with popularizing the 6 point cue design. Bert is our first living member to be inducted. His wife Pat has done much of the beautiful pantograph work on their cues. Although recently retired. At 80 years of age he was still at his labor of love: Building Cues.

He was one hell of a 3C Player!

Bert is alive, in poor health and retired from cue making. He did hang out with, and build cues for, some of the best 3-C players in the US. His shop was around the corner from Tiffs (now North Hollywood Billiards) and Allen Gilbert and Frank Torres played there among many others.

Kevin

Last edited:

ToomnyQs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moot??

There is no way to know.

Not everyone has a Southwest.
Not everyone has an Omega.
Not everyone has a Lambros.
Not everyone has a Black Boar.
Not everyone has a Balabushka.
Not everyone has a Burton Spain.
Not everyone has a ____________ (<------- cue name goes here)

Not everyone who DOES have one of these cues, plays at a high level, and not everyone like the same features on their cue.

Someone might have hit with certain cues, but not others, would makes their opinion biased.

Unless you are going to get say, 10 examples of each type of cue in the world, and then have some convention where players from all over the world sign up and hit balls with each and every cue and vote on their favorite cue at the end of it all, there cannot be an undisputed winner.

So why bother?

The question is moot.

Well, if there is no point to the question, then there is certainly 0 point to your answer, right?

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tad Kohara his designs in his cues are different from everybody else.They also have a great hit and play very good.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Hey all just my thoughts
1-A. Gus Szamboti
1-b. Barry Szamboti
1-c. Joel Hercek
1-d. Bill Schick
1-e. D Searing
1-f. J Showman
1-g. R Haley
To me these are my Lucky 7 cue makers ,,you cant go wrong with any of them,,but as for greatest!!! Gus was way head of his time,,,NO MORE HAS TO BE SAID..

BR Ken Carfagno

That's a darn good list there !!!

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
The greatest of all time???
Hard to answer. Like comparing Rembrandt to Picasso.
I pretty much like all the S. cues.

Szamboti- Gus & Barry
Searing
Showman
Schick
Scruggs & Cochran
Manzino
Haley
Mobley
Richard Black
Pete Tascarella SR.
George Balabuska

Honorable mention Eddie Wheat:grin-square:

zrx replica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard Black
Paul Dayton
Chester Krick and
Mr. Fry

Wow! Didn't think i would see Chester on this thread...Only due to not being well known by the masses...I have had 3 C-K's and loved em all. Never met him but was told he helped alot of up & comers take their art to the next level. Pat Diveney speaks highly of him...I think he has some of his cue machines/tools now & uses them...Also heard he took Mr. Klein under his wing?
I am a local "Banger" from Chesters area so I gotz a soft spot for his stuff...R.I.P. Chester ;)

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
The fact that this thread has been debated since 2008 serves as proof that there is no single "greatest cue maker ever." If it hasn't been settled in 3 years of discussion, it's not going to happen. As a guide though, I would recommend looking at a list of past ACA & ICA cue makers of the year, as well as HOF members. The honorees on those lists have been voted on by people who know cues inside and out.

jschaefer

Registered
sorry to inform u, but bert schrager passed away a couple months ago. search his name at the forums page to see all posts concerning him.

PunchOut

addicted
Silver Member
Southwest - by far and wide the most desirable cue of all time in terms of the mix of playability, style and overall value.

Searing - Holy crap these cues play good. All I have to say is Orange Crush.

Lambros - Great playing and uniquely designed cues.

Best value - No doubt Rick howard, these cues play disgustingly well.

Everyone always talks about Rick Howard and playability. Granted I use his cue as a full-time player, the work is absolutely flawless. It is a 6 point veneered cue, but the points are razor sharp and match up PERFECTLY. The ringwork is flawless etc. Just thought I would put in my two cents. His point/veneer/ring work is on point with just about any other high end cue I have ever owned, if not above.

Unfortunately I tried to contact him to make another cue 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back....:eek:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus was the greatest, the more cues I own, see, play with, the older I get The more I appreciate Gus's work. Tony at Black Boar who IMO buikds the best hitting cue for me(in other words i play better with a Boar-i kept stats on practice drills etc) Siad that Gus taught him more than anyone else about cue building, And tony credits Gus with being the all time #1, He had limited tools, the knowlege he had of woods back then compaired to now put Gus in the dark yet he still built cues that dont warp when they come to Vegas in the dry air.

A 40 year old Gus plays as good as any cue on earth. I do play just a hair better with a boar than a Gus and if I lose my Boar I can replace it so travelling is not a issue. I couldnt check a Gus on a plane. Now if I had my own jet I might just switch over to one gus I have. It was Ray Martins Gus, That cue I play the same speed with as my Boar.

Best
Eric

PS Barry is equal to Gus in many ways and I know he has improved on some of his dads ideas. How gus did what he did with the limited tools, materials etc. It what makes him the Grand Master.

On the artistic side in the late 60's Ernie made some ivory monsters. but I dont care for the hit, however thats my problem aand isnt a knock on ernie, gina cues are beatiful today as ever, the silver/Ivory masterpiece he built in dec 66(when I was born) is a cue I wish everyone is lucky enough to hold, I did. goose bumps.

JREUTER

Mike Durbin out of Sullivan Illinois.....Ernie of course, and Joel Hercek any of those three make great playable cues

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only cuemaker whose cues I picked up and immediately thought how wonderful they played was Andy Gilbert. I don't even own one.....but I've played with more than 10 of them and liked them all. He gets my vote for #1.

They look pretty good too.

Southwest gets 2nd place.

I also haven't played with a Bludworth cue that didn't hit good. He never gets much mention...but his cues really did play good. When Buddy Hall was playing with one, I managed to get a Bludworth Sneaky Pete (back in the 90's)...and that cue was awesome....and a lot of god players wanted to buy that cue from me. I'd still have it, if I hadn't left it in my car in the FL summer weather and it warped like a bow and arrow. I was a kid and I guess didn't realize that weather affected wood stability, haha.