Hal Houle has passed

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hal Houle was a very unique individual! Hal was intelligent, had a great wit and lived a long, varied and interesting life.

Hal and I had only a phone relationship, never having met him in person. My loss for sure.

I would telephone every few months checking in with him or he would call me and we would talk. Early on we talked about CTE and other aiming systems that Hal knew and he generously shared his insight into all of them. He would often quip that he didn't always share all of the information with those who couldn't be trusted or those with an agenda. :D

But mostly I just enjoyed the conversations about his life, his travels, his relationships, especially the one he had with Ralph Greenleaf. Hal didn't hold back any details of his relationship with Ralph and I got the impression that Hal did the best he could with a difficult situation.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the love he had for his wife "Sunny" of many years, always talking about her in the warmest way, kind of like the way you would talk about your best friend.

Hal, while you aren't here any more for me to thank you for allowing me to have a glimpse into your world, I do so anyway. I am a better man for having known you through those many telephone conversations.

Dave, thank you for letting us know of Hal's passing and thank you for always showing Hal the respect that he so richly deserved.

My sincerest condolences to Sunny and the rest of Hal's family.

Joey Aguzin

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hal Houle was a very unique individual! Hal was intelligent, had a great wit and lived a long, varied and interesting life.

Hal and I had only a phone relationship, never having met him in person. My loss for sure.

I would telephone every few months checking in with him or he would call me and we would talk. Early on we talked about CTE and other aiming systems that Hal knew and he generously shared his insight into all of them. He would often quip that he didn't always share all of the information with those who couldn't be trusted or those with an agenda. :D

But mostly I just enjoyed the conversations about his life, his travels, his relationships, especially the one he had with Ralph Greenleaf. Hal didn't hold back any details of his relationship with Ralph and I got the impression that Hal did the best he could with a difficult situation.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the love he had for his wife "Sunny" of many years, always talking about her in the warmest way, kind of like the way you would talk about your best friend.

Hal, while you aren't here any more for me to thank you for allowing me to have a glimpse into your world, I do so anyway. I am a better man for having known you through those many telephone conversations.

Dave, thank you for letting us know of Hal's passing and thank you for always showing Hal the respect that he so richly deserved.

My sincerest condolences to Sunny and the rest of Hal's family.

Joey Aguzin

Nice write up Joey. I had only one call to Hal about three years ago. I got a wild hair and called Hal and Terry Ardeno both on the same day. I had a great visit with both guys and never spoke about pool with either.

RIP Hal.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Hal houle was the first person to contribute anything helpful to my game. To this day I still practice and cherish my visit with him.

A few years ago when Dave made his first video on banking with CTE I had to learn it. I contacted Dave and he gave me Hals number. I got in my car and drove to blue mountain for what would be my real beginning to playing pool.

Hal was gracious and curteous. Not knowing who I was, he had me come in to his home and learn CTE pivoting. Although I didn't understand any of it nor could I perform it on his table I trusted and did see something unique about it.

Sunny made us sandwiches and I sat next to him for four hrs just listening to stories and his venting of how the pool world was lost when it came to aiming.

Hal could barely get out of bed but he did and he showed me the basics of CTE. From that point on I studied and searched for anything Hal had written and also some of the things he put out there just for fun *wink.

One of the things that got me was he offered me a cue which I declined. He said I might need a better cue to practice with and it was a Meucci original which he didn't need anymore but I didn't have the heart to take something. I wish I had now just bc atleast I'd have something tangible to remember him by.

Hal u remain my friend although we only met once. I hold u dear to my heart bc everytime I play pool it's the way you saw the game. Thanks for changing my life and helping me become a better player.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was a legend ........

I never met Hal but his teachings are unsurpassed for sure.

We have lost one of the great pioneers of the game.

Hal Houle will always live on in our hearts and minds.

Thank you for being such an inspiration to so many.

Rest in peace my friend............

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very sad to hear of Hal's passing as he was a very special person. At the same time I am glad that he is no longer suffering.

I think that the respectful responses to his passing would have made him happy. Dave, Stan, Landon and many others knew him better than I did and I hope that they share some of their experiences with us at a time that they feel is appropriate.

I met Hal quite some time before he moved to Pa. He was still living in Garden Grove in So. Calif and I believe Sunny was working in Newport Beach. Hal would show up at Hard Times and at Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and spend time with whoever was open minded and willing to spend time with him. He told stories and he taught and never asked for a dime, he simply gave of himself. He had a company called Colliding Spheres and wasn't yet teaching CTE. He soon moved to Burlingame by San Francisco. Each year he would make cross country trip to the East Coast and back while renewing old acquaintances. One year he made it only part way when his legs gave out on him and he had to be brought back. Once you knew him and showed interest and respect for what he was doing you were always welcomed.

I am sad that due to my own health issues I didn't keep in close contact the last few years and that is my loss. The fact that he is was unique and so open and giving makes his passing Pool's loss.

Thanks Hal.
G. "Charlie" Brown

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Hal Houle, He was One of the Good Guy's

Hal was always trying to help everyone.
One day at California Billiards he offered to teach me his system.

I regrettably said no as Hal Mix was my teacher at that time.

But we would always talk.
He reminded me of the late Bert Schrager, who would tell me wonderful stories about the old day's in pool.
Hal was a joy to listen to too.

I would go and play at Campbell Billiards which was owned by Paul Namkoong.
I would see, Hal and Paul spend hours going over their system.

Paul is going to Fast Eddies in Santa Cruz Ca on Monday.
He will be sad to hear that his old friend Hal has passed away.

My condolences to Hals family and Friends, BarneyCalip

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Remembering Hal

I first met Hal about 45 years when I was kid , just starting to PLAY THE GAME. We first met in a room in Daly City, California called Town & Country Billiards. He was good friends with A friend of mine Dee Holtz, who ended up owning Executive Billiards In Redwood City, California. Dee played pretty sporty. Hal was the first guy who taught me about aiming thru the light reflections on the balls. I never used it, but it was good to know. I can tell he was a good man when I first met him. Every time he came in, he would take a few minutes with me and show me different things about the Game. I lost track of him many years ago, So when I saw this post it brought back many memories. Yea, You will be missed Hal. You were one of the good guys that's for sure. My prayers go out to his family , his wife. and to anybody who knew Hal. Cherrish those moments, cuz they come around only once in a life time. Thank-you Hal.
God Bless
Frank :(

Play The Game Billiard Apparel
Designed By A Player, Worn By Players!
www.playthegameclothing.com

Last edited:

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a few phone calls to Hal, my pool game changed forever. The improvement was so rapid. I think his thinking was so advanced and out of the norm, that his systems took a lot of people by surprise. Sadly, I think the pool world is just now starting to realize his genus. My blessings to his wife and family, and Hal, thank you so much, for what you have done for all of us, and this great game we love so much.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle

Sorry to hear this.
Hal was special - had a very interesting life.
Maybe I can respond better at a later time .

RIP my friend

Mark griffin

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
The world of pool has lost a true visionary.
Rest in peace Mr Hal Houle.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To a man that was willing to help anyone at anytime, rest in peace Hal.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
He was a gem for sure. He took the time to speak with me on a couple of occasions many years ago. He was kind, generous and a very intelligent man. May his soul rest in peace. We've lost a great one.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of talking to Mr Houle a couple of times. Usually it started out talking about aiming,wouldn't take long and you was listening to a story. It was like reading your favorite book,only difference ,you just had to listen. A very interesting and intelligent man.
Rest in peace Mr Houle.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a sense of loss

I only talked to Hal once a few years ago. It was after one of his flurries of posting on AZB and some recent phone calls had annoyed him. Very rare for him I believe, he had lockjaw about anything to do with aiming! He had decided for the moment that anyone that wanted to learn aiming had to come see him, no way to teach people over the phone.

The stories weren't long in coming though and I spent a fantastic few hours listening to him. Not only had he walked with giants, it was very obvious this was a highly intelligent man I was talking to. The quant and somewhat trite phrase "We are diminished" truly applies here.

I mourn a bit when one of the old timers goes, the pool world gets a lot smaller every time. I'm surprised how much it hurts to know Hal is gone.

Hu