Hal Houle has passed

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only talked to Hal once a few years ago. It was after one of his flurries of posting on AZB and some recent phone calls had annoyed him. Very rare for him I believe, he had lockjaw about anything to do with aiming! He had decided for the moment that anyone that wanted to learn aiming had to come see him, no way to teach people over the phone.

The stories weren't long in coming though and I spent a fantastic few hours listening to him. Not only had he walked with giants, it was very obvious this was a highly intelligent man I was talking to. The quant and somewhat trite phrase "We are diminished" truly applies here.

I mourn a bit when one of the old timers goes, the pool world gets a lot smaller every time. I'm surprised how much it hurts to know Hal is gone.

Hu

Yup, feels the same to me as when George Fels and Freddy the Beard died:frown:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this sad news. I just now learned about Hal's passing on facebook so I logged in to see if there was a thread. RIP Hal.

Dave

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Back in the RSB days, Hal used to call me every 3-4 months until his health started to decline. The first couple of calls were regarding the CTE/aiming but I had a difficult time understanding the pivot via telephone, I instead developed a hybrid version that worked well for me at the time.... To my surprise and pleasure Hal kept calling! He loved to hear about what was going on, who was playing who, and asking questions about different players, in turn, Hal would tell war stories from days past. Pretty good deal for both of us.....

One thing I know for sure is that this world is a little worse off today than it was yesterday. It was a pleasure to know you Hal!

Godspeed and rest in peace my friend......

Kirk

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
He helped me about 10 years ago with my aiming, via email.

He asked for nothing in return, but simply for my giving it a good, honest try.

It worked. Thanks Hal for all you've done for us.

Jeff Livingston

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Condolences and prayers to the Houle family. It seems with each day we're losing yet one more part of the pool world that connected with true titans of the game and the knowledge they had. We're going to wake up very soon and realize that a whole library of knowledge about the game and the greats who made it what it is today is gone, long before we had time to ask all the questions and keep the knowledge alive. Yet another link to our heritage is gone...

Maybe this is an opportunity to reach out to the few that are left and get it down for the record...without the rancor, debate and egos...so we don't lose it all forever.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Very sad news. The world will not be as full or wonderful with Hal's passing.
I will have Hal and his loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.
RIP Hal.

Will Prout

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Hal and condolences to family

I first met Hal when we both spent an afternoon at Danny K's in Southern CA. That was probably 1999 or so. It was fascinating to watch him teach people--tirelessly--about aiming for about four hours.

Then I met him again at Family Billiards in San Francisco probably five years later.

And of course like many I've had my share of phone conversations;-)

Hal was incredibly generous with his time, and so many people here enjoyed his unique style of teaching and story telling. There is probably not a single other person who has been the subject of as much conversation here at AZB and at RSB and ASP before that...

I think we can be pretty confident Hal will live on here at AZB

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I didn't know Mr. Houle personally but was aware of his keen knowledge and love for our sport.

Rest in peace, Sir.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you, Dave, for passing this sad news on. And sorry for the loss of your friend.

best,
brian kc

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Rest in peace, Hal. Thank you for all the time you spent with countless players sharing your knowledge for free. There's a special place in heaven for people like you. Godspeed.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal was one of my favorites and I sadly lost contact for quite a few years.
That's me in the picture with him and a very fond memory. Spent 13 hours at the pool hall that day doing what we loved, playing while he taught / made fun of me :)

RIP my old friend.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear the news. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Hal but did learn about CTE when I took some lessons from Stan. I always enjoy listening to stories about the game and can tell Hal had a love for the game unmatched. RIP Hal and my condolences to his family.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest in Peace... Hal

I was fortunate enough to meet and go to Hal's and Sunny's house for 3 days.
Quite a few years ago when I was trying to learn this game (and I'm still trying), I kept seeing posts from Dave Segal about Hal. Always saying how Hal was so good at helping people. So I contacted Dave ( didn't know Dave at all ) and got Hal's phone number. Also did the same with Dave about Ron V.
I decided to call and see what I would be able to learn over the phone.
Right away he was very talkative on telling me things to do. He told me, go get 2 round water glasses and sit them in front of me. I had him on the speaker phone so I could move them around and listen to what he was telling me to do. He kept explaining about lining up the edges and so on.
I was so intrigued with what he was telling me, that I asked him if I could come and see him. he said : when are you coming and said you can stay at my house.
I set up the plane trip right away and flew into Phil. and rented a car and drove to his house.
He and Sunny were as nice as anybody could be. Here I was a guy who they didn't know other then a couple conversations and they treated me like I'd known them for years.
Hal wasn't doing well. His legs weren't working very well and he was using a walker and the rest of his body was failing. He would come out of the bedroom every now and then to correct me when I was unsure of something.
He had his 9 ft. diamond in the room right next to his bedroom and I'd go in by him, he tell me what to do. I'd go back by the table and try what he said to do. I'd tell him what was happening and he'd be yelling instructions from the bedroom.
Sunny would take care of his every need and she couldn't have been nicer.
She would cook food for Hal and make me eat with them. I didn't want to inconvience her by having her cook extra food for me. I basically had to say that I was going for a ride so I could get out of the house for awhile so I could grab something to eat so she wouldn't try to make me food.
When I would take a break, and in the evenings we would sit in his bedroom and he told me stories of his younger days. What he thought of the old players and other things and stories. Especially what he thought of Mosconi.
I was there for 3 days and I tried to give them money for food or staying or whatever and they wouldn't take a penny.
Having started trying to learn this game when I was already in my mid 50's has not been easy, I've been around the country at different peoples locations/ houses. John (Jack) Madden in Montana parked my RV there and he'd tried to teach me straight pool for a few days. He did a fine job, I just couldn't get the aiming, Ron Vittello's in NY city to learn his systems. Stayed at Ron's and slept on his couch that was about a foot too short lol. Got it a lot but not totally. Been down for a day lesson with Stan Shuffett. And others, that I've learned a lot of things from. Gene Albrecht that I parked my Rv for an afternoon there also. Scott Lee, Lee Brett to name a couple more. Trying not to leave anybody out.
I have to say that Hal Houle gave me the aiming perspective that I use about 90 percent of the time. I'll never be a good player, but I try all the time to improve. It's great that Stan has been able to get CTE even farther. But in my opinion if it wasn't for Hal there wouldn't be CTE.
I wish I would have known him back when he and I were younger. Before I retired, in my line of work, I dealt with the public on a daily basis and at some of there worst times. I think I can judge people pretty well on the way they present themselves. And just from the very small amount of time I was with Hal, I can state unequivocally he was a CLASS ACT ! And the same goes for Sunny!
My condolences to all of his family and friends.
Rest In Peace Hal.....................
John

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Guy

Spoke to him once, on the phone. He talk to me like we had been friends for life. He shared some CTE stuff with me. I didn't adopt the aiming system but I believed in the man. Wonderful human being. May he RIP.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story John! Here's mine...

I had the good fortune to spend July 4, 2007 with Hal & Sunny at their home. One of my Chicago students, Veronique, was just finishing her third day with Hal. When Hal first came onto the forums he often came across as a "crotchety old man", cussing people out, saying that they didn't know anything...LOL In person Hal was the polar opposite...friendly, gracious, generous to a fault...and then there's the "learning"! Even 7 years ago Hal's health was failing and he was in serious pain all the time. He could no longer stand at the table, but had a Lazyboy chair right next to his 9' Diamond, and would sit in the chair while directing me. I did exactly what he told me to do. Even so, he had to retreat back to the bedroom a couple of times every hour, and as others have said, continued to give direction from his bed! LOL

While I at first didn't understand CTE very well, I determined that I was going to follow his directions to the letter, regardless of whether it "made sense" or not. LOL Balls went flying into the pockets from every imaginable angle. To my credit, I had recorded the whole time I was there, and so have a video record of that day. I watched the dvd a few times, but it was still largely a mystery to me, so I sent it to Randy. He watched it several time (he had made his own pilgramage to Hal as well)...it made perfect sense to him, and from that video we developed several CTE-based aiming methods (SAM, Same Aim, and Off-set aiming).

The stories about Greenleaf were fabulous and sad at the same time. Hal only interacted with Ralph in Greenleaf's later years, when alcohol and drugs had already taken their toll on this great champion. He told me about how many times Greenleaf's wife would call him up, asking him to go out and find Ralph (who had disappeared for days, on a bender). Hal would usually find him passed out in some flophouse, get him sobered up, cleanshaven, and in some decent clean clothes, before taking him home to Mrs. Greenleaf. It wasn't too many years later that Greenleaf made his much-too-early passage to that great poolroom in the sky. Hal now joins him there, along with Fats, Mosconi, and all the greats.

RIP Hal, and to Sunny, thank you for your wonderful hospitality. I feel your loss, and loved your husband for his huge contribution to the sport I love! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I was fortunate enough to meet and go to Hal's and Sunny's house for 3 days.
Quite a few years ago when I was trying to learn this game (and I'm still trying), I kept seeing posts from Dave Segal about Hal. Always saying how Hal was so good at helping people. So I contacted Dave ( didn't know Dave at all ) and got Hal's phone number. Also did the same with Dave about Ron V.
I decided to call and see what I would be able to learn over the phone.
Right away he was very talkative on telling me things to do. He told me, go get 2 round water glasses and sit them in front of me. I had him on the speaker phone so I could move them around and listen to what he was telling me to do. He kept explaining about lining up the edges and so on.
I was so intrigued with what he was telling me, that I asked him if I could come and see him. he said : when are you coming and said you can stay at my house.
I set up the plane trip right away and flew into Phil. and rented a car and drove to his house.
He and Sunny were as nice as anybody could be. Here I was a guy who they didn't know other then a couple conversations and they treated me like I'd known them for years.
Hal wasn't doing well. His legs weren't working very well and he was using a walker and the rest of his body was failing. He would come out of the bedroom every now and then to correct me when I was unsure of something.
He had his 9 ft. diamond in the room right next to his bedroom and I'd go in by him, he tell me what to do. I'd go back by the table and try what he said to do. I'd tell him what was happening and he'd be yelling instructions from the bedroom.
Sunny would take care of his every need and she couldn't have been nicer.
She would cook food for Hal and make me eat with them. I didn't want to inconvience her by having her cook extra food for me. I basically had to say that I was going for a ride so I could get out of the house for awhile so I could grab something to eat so she wouldn't try to make me food.
When I would take a break, and in the evenings we would sit in his bedroom and he told me stories of his younger days. What he thought of the old players and other things and stories. Especially what he thought of Mosconi.
I was there for 3 days and I tried to give them money for food or staying or whatever and they wouldn't take a penny.
Having started trying to learn this game when I was already in my mid 50's has not been easy, I've been around the country at different peoples locations/ houses. John (Jack) Madden in Montana parked my RV there and he'd tried to teach me straight pool for a few days. He did a fine job, I just couldn't get the aiming, Ron Vittello's in NY city to learn his systems. Stayed at Ron's and slept on his couch that was about a foot too short lol. Got it a lot but not totally. Been down for a day lesson with Stan Shuffett. And others, that I've learned a lot of things from. Gene Albrecht that I parked my Rv for an afternoon there also. Scott Lee, Lee Brett to name a couple more. Trying not to leave anybody out.
I have to say that Hal Houle gave me the aiming perspective that I use about 90 percent of the time. I'll never be a good player, but I try all the time to improve. It's great that Stan has been able to get CTE even farther. But in my opinion if it wasn't for Hal there wouldn't be CTE.
I wish I would have known him back when he and I were younger. Before I retired, in my line of work, I dealt with the public on a daily basis and at some of there worst times. I think I can judge people pretty well on the way they present themselves. And just from the very small amount of time I was with Hal, I can state unequivocally he was a CLASS ACT ! And the same goes for Sunny!
My condolences to all of his family and friends.
Rest In Peace Hal.....................
John

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Rip Hal, never got to meet him, but Dave spoke so highly of him and really looked up to Hal.

Sorry for your loss Dave, and the billiards world.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
RIP Hal....

I was shown one of Hals aiming methods a few years ago, and it was the single best pool thing ever shown to me. Once I fully grasped and learned to trust it, it's opened up the game for me like I never knew existed. Thanks Hal....

Landon Shuffett

Registered
Saddened to hear this. It's hard to fathom all that that man knew and discovered. He did so much for my Dad and I and so many pool players around the world. My one visit with him at his home back in 2007 (I think) was priceless and I will never forget it!

Rest easy Hal. Thoughts and prayers sent out to his family and close friends.