How fast do you think your break is?

How fast is your break

  • 10-14 mph

    Votes: 14 9.7%
  • 15-19 mph

    Votes: 59 41.0%
  • 20+ mph

    Votes: 71 49.3%

  • Total voters
    144
Read an artice, don't remember if it was in a DB or Pool and Billiards, a room owner had a radar gun he used and stated that no-one has broken 30mph so far, but that Bustamante was coming to the room and he should break the 30mph barrier. That is way way under 40+. Those that say they can do over 30, is that with a radar gun, run by someone who knows how to use it?
 
Fart sniffer said:
Man, you are really trying to high-roll people here aren't you? I have many dimes but will not bet more than a quarter per break, how do you like those apples?

Those are pretty good apples..
I might eevn bet an orange or two..
Best,
Ken
Highendcues
 
I'm telling you, I got a speeding ticket for my break. The pool cop pulled me over and told me I was doing over 50 in a 30 mph zone. I protested vehemently telling him "Look officer can't you see, I'm breaking with a CUE TEC! It's the hot set-up and I can't keep the rubber on the table."

He took one look at my fuel injected Cue Tec and let me go. It's the truth, just ask Mike Sea Gull and Kevin Tru Dough. There were there when it happened.
 
hang-the-9 said:
Read an artice, don't remember if it was in a DB or Pool and Billiards, a room owner had a radar gun he used and stated that no-one has broken 30mph so far, but that Bustamante was coming to the room and he should break the 30mph barrier. That is way way under 40+. Those that say they can do over 30, is that with a radar gun, run by someone who knows how to use it?

You can appreciate how hard 30MPH is..
Not many can do that..
It is equal to throwing a baseball 100mph IMO..
I know 30MPH has been done, but not that far past it.. Even 1 MPH over that is absolutely monumental..
Hopkins Expo had a radar gun in the Sardo booth for years, and hundreds of people tried..
I did 30 once, and won most every other time between 28-30.. I remember Shannon Daulton was high around 27 for most of one day.. Alot of the pro's tried it..
Remember this is people swinging from there shoes..
Best,
Ken
Highendcues
 
Per InsidePool's bio on Charlie Bryant:

"He has o*ne of the hardest breaks in the world, having been clocked at 34.7 miles per hour in Las Vegas in 1996."

If 1 mph is absolutely monumental, what's 4.7?

HighEndCues said:
You can appreciate how hard 30MPH is..
Not many can do that..
It is equal to throwing a baseball 100mph IMO..
I know 30MPH has been done, but not that far past it.. Even 1 MPH over that is absolutely monumental..
Hopkins Expo had a radar gun in the Sardo booth for years, and hundreds of people tried..
I did 30 once, and won most every other time between 28-30.. I remember Shannon Daulton was high around 27 for most of one day.. Alot of the pro's tried it..
Remember this is people swinging from there shoes..
Best,
Ken
Highendcues
 
wonder why?

Breaks are comparatively slow any way you size it. I have always wondered how hard some of the super fast hand martial artists could break with a little practice.

A friend tried out for the Houston Astros many years ago and threw the ball through the traps 99.8 miles an hour three times in a row. Softball pitchers can throw even faster. I realize it is a different motion but in the break we still have the cue out at the end of a largely extended arm. Why isn't it faster?

Hu
 
The recorded world record of 33+mph was supposed to have been done by a non-pool player and was a martial artist. He stood almost straight up and his arm wasn't bent very much so his arm acted like a lever to maximize acceleration.

Will try to find the record to support this.
 
StevenPWaldon said:
Per InsidePool's bio on Charlie Bryant:

"He has o*ne of the hardest breaks in the world, having been clocked at 34.7 miles per hour in Las Vegas in 1996."

If 1 mph is absolutely monumental, what's 4.7?

Charlie has a great break...
Like it's been mentioned before... All guns are subjective..
I'm taking action over 34MPH.. Including Charlie..

Every 1MPH over 30 is monumental.. I speak from experience..
I've thrown my shoulder out trying..
Just Curious, Whats your speed..
Best,
Ken
Highendcues
 
the gun

I don't know how fast I break but in 2001 in Peoria I went to a tournament and a guy had a radar gun and I broke 28-29 5 times and Jesse bowman was over 30.Chad Vilmont won the tournament but I don't know if he tried the break.
 
bigg7 said:
I don't know how fast I break but in 2001 in Peoria I went to a tournament and a guy had a radar gun and I broke 28-29 5 times and Jesse bowman was over 30.Chad Vilmont won the tournament but I don't know if he tried the break.

Can't believe anything in PEORIA. Heck, I got clocked on a gun at a Peoria Chiefs game in HS saying I was throwing 92mph. Whenever I was clocked in games before and after that...88 was the highest :D :cool:
 
Got another mention of break speed. Just watching 2003 US Open, Rayes vs. Bustie. Bustie breaks about about 27 1/4 or 1/3 of way through the match which gets Billy talking about break speed. Maybe there are faster breakers now, but when he was talking, he does not know anyone who breaks that fast. Would not "fastests" anything be in the Guiness Book of World Recods? If they can have things like "longest walk backwards while holding a plate of eggs on your head" I'm sure billiards is somewhere in there. They seem to do a good job verifying info, I'd trust their speed measurements.
 
bigskyjake said:
I'm not so sure about that, Drew is the only human that can break that hard :D
I played with him for hours last night and the kid breaks hard,i cant give a speed but its a nice crack,just doesnt control whitey too well and the ball sometimes ended up 20 ft across the room. :D
 
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but if Mike said 43mph he might have meant 33mph. 30mph sounds like a thunder crack. 43 might actually hurt the ears of the closest people.
 
My fastest break, clocked by Mark Wilson at a Jeanette Lee group class, was 23 mph and my normal break was between 18 and 21 generally with my playing cue. I know I'm definitely not going to be winning any break contests...lol. George Breedlove was there and I think he clocked a 32 or 33 mph break.

Zack
 
I know a guy I play with weekly, I would say he would average 27+ mph regularly, and I would bet that he could get 32+ easily, and he keeps it on the table almost always. Just a crazy break, I try and do it and can't get close
 
Back
Top