Roy Steffensen said:If you think it is a joke, then tell the board in BCA all of your ideas of how to improve the pool in the states. Guess you have a lot! Don't just complain, get in the action yourself and help them do something good for the pros in America!
Roy, with all due respect, the BCA is an industry-member organization, and the fruits of its labor benefit its members who are industry folk, not pro players.
The BCA has a very nice setup, somewhere in Colorado, with salaried employees. I like their website too.
When I look at the scheme of the whole picture as an American, with my interests geared towards the American pro player in particular, the BCA doesn't seem to have any umph, for lack of a better word, to professional players in the States.
Yes, there is the BCA Open which hosts 4 qualifiers in the year for its event. Half of the player roster consists of UPA members -- a topic for another thread -- and the other half are "invited" international players.
I once wrote to the BCA asking why a non-UPA American player was competing in the BCA Open, when there were existing UPA players who were not invited. The reply I received from the BCA was that the whole BCA Open event was subcontracted out to a vendor. I contacted the vendor. The reply I received was that the non-UPA American player was on a waiting list. At that time, there were existing and qualified UPA members who should have been eligible to compete at the BCA Open.
It does seem to me that the payouts of the BCA Open in Vegas are kind of low -- $15,000 for first place to the men and women. However, since the BCA is an industry member organization, I guess they look out for the industry members more so than the professional players. The BCA, IMHO, may be great, but it doesn't seem to help professional players in the States very much.
Roy said:...Since I have started to bring the youth in it, the WPA also organizes youth tournaments like the World Championship. They shouldn't do that either, or what? Rather put the money in the US pro players instead?
I like the fact that the WPA invests in the youth. I think that is a very good thing.
Looking at the WPA as an American, though, I think the fruits of their labor benefit the non-American players more so than the American players, IMHO. Yet, the non-American players come to our shores and compete in MANY American events, the U.S. Open as an example.
I don't know what the answer is, and this is a very political hot topic for sure. Everybody has their own agenda. For me, I am interested in the future of American professional pool. I do not see the WPA being the change agent for American players. As well, I dont' see the BCA being a big help either. JMHO, FWIW!
JAM