spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2 Lineup

12341288_10153683867525115_7521391013996698132_n.png

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched the replay last night on ESPN3 and saw some really good matches.

Pretty disappointed in the way Mike played, especially with all his big talk and petulant behavior leading up to this – "I'm better than this guy and that guy, I should be seeded higher in this tournament than this player, etc". Instead of performing like the world-beater he claims to be, he looked shaky and unconfident at best.

Might be a good idea to keep quiet about how great you think you are and focus more on how to NOT give away matches with poor play. Just saying - if you're going talk the talk, you had damn well better deliver when you're at the table. Losing that match swung momentum big time.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watch the 2 win matches, that last match does illustrate the importance of the opponent not being able to get too and on the playing field. I'm bad for this, I kept think'n that that Appleton fellow was about to pull out an ak47 for his next shot.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2

Day 2 is key day. IMHO, USA will need to win today's session at least 3-2 to at least even the score 5-5 to have any chance of winning this year. If Europe wins today's session 3-2 they will jump to 2 point lead at 6-4 and that will be like last year and it will be start of collapse in 3rd and final day
Today's matches offers best chance for USA to catch up

1) Bergman/ Woodward v Niels / NVB 0-1
Team Holland (WCOP finalist 2014) are favorite in this one though the young kids are no pushover. They are brothers in arms been playing doubles for Holland for years

2) Dechaine v Ouschan 1-0
I think Dechaine will win this. Little Ouschan dogged it at WCOP this year and was worst player for Team Europe in Kings Cup. He isn't as polished as the other Euros in team play. He is a grinder, likes to play safes , takes risks but falls short on execution side. If Dechaine does not meltdown and plays it tight , he is the favorite in this one. Though if it is international singles tourney, I would rate them both even

3) SVB / Corey v Darren/Boyes 0-1
WCOP champ Darren/Boyes is the favorite in this one , know each others games inside out

4) Woodward v Boyes 1-0
I take Sky in this one. The kid is unfazed and plays without pressure , has something to prove

5) Dechaine / SVB V Darren / NVB 1-0
This is the tough one. Dechaine /SVB spend long time together bromancing during WCOP this year so i would say their combo may have edge over Darren/NVB

So I think USA may sneak through this session 3-2 to tie overall score 5-5
Either that or Europe wins this session 3-2 winning one of the 2 singles to increase their overall lead to 6-4. This will be good :thumbup:
It starts about 4 hours from now 2pm EST/ 7pm GMT

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something looks weird with Mike's stroke. It his form breaking down or is it always like that?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
2) Dechaine v Ouschan 1-0
I think Dechaine will win this. Little Ouschan dogged it at WCOP this year and was worst player for Team Europe in Kings Cup. He isn't as polished as the other Euros in team play. He is a grinder, likes to play safes , takes risks but falls short on execution side.

Huh??? :confused::confused:

JimmyD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terrible fundamentals

Something looks weird with Mike's stroke. It his form breaking down or is it always like that?

Mike's stroke has always been like that, looks like the chicken wing was flying out. He never stays down or steady, he raises up as he's stroking, an almost always raises up and twists his cue on his delivery stroke. All those factors come into play when the heat is on an you have to rely on fundamentals. When you dont have them, you cant rely on them..... Mike BS'd his way into people thinking he's anything more than a good regional player. He will never get there, ever!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Mike's stroke has always been like that, looks like the chicken wing was flying out. He never stays down or steady, he raises up as he's stroking, an almost always raises up and twists his cue on his delivery stroke. All those factors come into play when the heat is on an you have to rely on fundamentals. When you dont have them, you cant rely on them..... Mike BS'd his way into people thinking he's anything more than a good regional player. He will never get there, ever!

Unduly harsh assessment, imo.

Mike didn't BS his way onto this TEAM USA, there was a criteria he had to meet and he did so. He played better all year in the tournaments that counted than *everyone* else in the USA aside from Shane & Corey.

And he would have made it onto last years squad, as well, if it were merit based.

I think Mike is a mile higher than "a good regional player".

And I hope he will settle down and have a great rest of his Mosconi Cup.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I'm expecting a score line in the neighborhood of 7-3 by the end of the day today. If Albin wins you might be looking at a white wash. I don't like Boyes either but he's a WORLD CHAMPION, I can't make a rookie a favorite against him eventhough my heart wants to. I like the rise of Sky storyline though a whole lot and hope he comes with it over and over again. It's a little foolish to just expect that from him though regardless of his capability. I hope he wins every match he plays though cause he's a cool cat.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

Mike didn't BS his way onto this TEAM USA, there was a criteria he had to meet and he did so. He played better all year in the tournaments that counted than *everyone* else in the USA aside from Shane & Corey.

And he would have made it onto last years squad, as well, if it were merit based.

best,
brian kc

Well stated sir

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Well, here's his chance to prove it and he didn't. He blew it. Big time.

That's the problem with having a huge ego and a big mouth - you get in over your head and when the pressure is on, you choke. Maybe less time sharking people with his racking antics and more time practicing shots that don't throw away matches.

I don't care for Mike at all, in case that's not abundantly clear. But I hope he settles down and gets his sh*t together. The US team can't afford losing momentum like that again.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

That's the problem with having a huge ego and a big mouth - you get in over your head and when the pressure is on, you choke. Maybe less time sharking people with his racking antics and more time practicing shots that don't throw away matches.

I don't care for Mike at all, in case that's not abundantly clear. But I hope he settles down and gets his sh*t together. The US team can't afford losing momentum like that again.

This escaped me until you clarified.

thx.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Starting time today is 11 am (2:00 EST), but ESPN3 doesn't have it until 2:30 EST? I wonder if ESPN3 will join it mid-match or show it recorded from the start.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

Your distain for Mike is fuelling your stupidity. You were on the right track when you said 'pressure' and lost focus. So far, while under pressure he hasn't produced. Playing a team full of killers, all with a world championship pedigree makes this pressure cooker called the mosconi cup what it is. Hold the barrage of smack talk towards Dechaine until after the tournament, day 2 is just about to begin anything can happen. I hope 'fathead' proves you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that skid at the end was sickening...
Granted, it was unfortunate, but top players out to either 1. Smack that shot harder, 2. Play it with gearing outside or 3. Play it with considerable inside.... in order to mostly negate the potential effects of a kick. That is a sucker shot for bad contacts and one is playing for luck to soft stun it in.

Neil's triple was sickening though!

Colin

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting time today is 11 am (2:00 EST), but ESPN3 doesn't have it until 2:30 EST? I wonder if ESPN3 will join it mid-match or show it recorded from the start.

I have no idea why this is, going to have to use a different stream until they get it going i guess...