Mosconi Cup 'Conspiracy' ????

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the live stream today Shawn Putnam mentioned "9-10 American players have got together and have voted not to play if Earl makes the team"

Pretty sure I know who 2 of them might be.

Who are the others? I'm curious.

Do you really think they'll turn down 10-15K plus a chance to play for their Country? It's awfully hard to believe.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the live stream today Shawn Putnam mentioned "9-10 American players have got together and have voted not to play if Earl makes the team"

Do you really think they'll turn down 10-15K plus a chance to play for their country? It's awfully hard to believe.

Ill bet EVEN one or less players opts not to play.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shawn Putnam

I think the love sponge should man up and play Earl for his spot on the cup but we all know that isn't going to happen. Totally classless of Shawn Putnam, someone who never has and never will accomplish what Earl has, to talk crap about him in the booth. Step up Shawn and play Earl. If you can talk the talk in a booth walk the walk. I think you might find out winning a match in a tourney isn't a long gambling match.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's Harry Onestroke and 2 guys from Canada. Not sure of their names.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard this from other players, non of witch I will say, but it is out there.
I think If Earl earns his way on the team , they shouldn't have a choice, if they don't play, they don't play.
Earl should have a chance to get the free mosconi money just like anyone else.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you really think they'll turn down 10-15K plus a chance to play for their country? It's awfully hard to believe.

Johnny Archer has voiced his opinion about Earl being on the Mosconi Cup in the past. Shawn Putnam works at Marrietta Billiards, an establishment that is co-owned by Johnny. Shawn may have similar feelings as Johnny about Earl's participation in the Mosconi Cup.

Meanwhile, if there was more of a team spirit on Team USA's part in years past, it would have been a much better team.

For everybody throwing bricks at Earl's glass house -- and I'm talking about the Mosconi Cup players -- they better take a closer look inside their own glass house first.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would be a shame if it killed the Mosconi Cup which im sure it would do if the top 5-6 players opted out. Fortunately i dont see any chance of that.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

LOL, go ahead and back out, that might be your last opportunity to participate. Sabotaging the Mosconi Cup should make it clear you never want to participate.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would be a shame if it killed the Mosconi Cup which im sure it would do if the top 5-6 players opted out. Fortunately i dont see any chance of that.

The conspiracy comes from Johnny Archer's camp.

Rumor mill has it that Johnny wouldn't play in the Mosconi Cup one year unless his buddy, Kim Davenport, was elected captain to keep Earl in line. I'm not sure if this is true, as it's only hearsay, but it is no secret that Johnny doesn't care for Earl on a field of green. Away from the table, they may be friends, but I kind of doubt it.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
If it comes down to Barry Hearn and Matchroom Sport wanting a resurgent Earl vs a few American pool players just who do you think is gonna come out winner in that situation?

Besides the "9-10" players referenced would quickly turn into 1 or 2 when the phone call came offering that $10,000 free roll.

Sometimes people say things just because they think it sounds cool to say them.

Earl is a beast and one of the most entertaining players to watch. I hope he keeps playing more money matches now that he's got a few wins under his belt

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is a beast and one of the most entertaining players to watch. I hope he keeps playing more money matches now that he's got a few wins under his belt.

I'm sure this win is a big confidence booster for Earl. Actually, I kind of enjoyed it! :p

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
So sad. Even faced with the truth, the blind faith and support for Earl is astounding. This guy can do whatever he wants ? Just because he plays well ? Ever heard of team chemistry ? How would you like to be the guy that has to play Ralf after Earl nearly took his arm off ? What do you say ? I'm sorry, my teammate is a jerk ? Or do you say "America, F*ck Yeah!" ?

Cmon people this is ridiculous.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
OK, so I didn't get to see this match, either. How exactly did Earl spoil pool for the masses this weekend?

I mean other than playing at the highest level against one of the best we have. Other than that, I mean.

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never thought of Putnam as an elite player but I was impressed recently with his play and thought "Man, he's gotten a lot better". I would have cheered for him and might have even looked into his cue line one day but not anymore. He was supposed to be a commentator and half the time today he only wanted to bash Earl and spread rumors.

Nick Varner was all class from what I heard and I really enjoyed listening to him. I wish he would have stepped up and told Shawn to cool it but maybe he feels the same way.

If these American players have more hate for Earl Strickland than patriotism for their country we don't need them. I'm a big Archer fan but if he's behind this and sits out a Mosconi cup, I'll never support him again. I highly doubt any player in the US would sit out that payday though.

will8834

Adcock Cues
Silver Member
Nick Varner was all class from what I heard and I really enjoyed listening to him. I wish he would have stepped up and told Shawn to cool it but maybe he feels the same way.

I think Nick did steer the conversation away from Shawn making negative comments. He did it in a diplomatic manner by saying lets get back to the match.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Gee, I wonder who is in that group of 8-10 players (probably more like 4 or 5) that won't go to the MC if Earl is picked? Who is in that organization Johnny A runs again? I'll bet it's at least 3 of the original group in the picture on AZ Biliard. If I could get good odds I'd say 4 in the picture. It's no wonder pool players don'y trust each other. Johnnyt

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
The player(s) that "opts" out are those that Earl beats out.

Too bad the team can't be made up of guys like Earl, Keith, Segal, Rempe, Varner, Buddy, Mataya, and Hopkins.

They may not win but the show would be great.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If matters go on tilt, it wouldn't be the first time the pros blanked in their own back yard. Could be like the Denver Nuggets, offed a couple great players to another team and the Nuggets are tough to beat now. Might be a good move for Barry to have a backup player on hand if matters go south during production, unless the captain ''is'' the backup.